Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
(empty)

Duke 3D For Free on GoG!

For Macintosh too? Interesting. Or is it a DOS, meaning I can play it on my tablet? All the better.

(Any recommendations before I do this?)

Google search and an entire half hour of experience making me an official expert, I'll throw in a vote for eduke32 (without polymer rendering, unless you don't mind bright flashes of light as you shoot). It feels like the GZDoom of Duke Nukem.

ComicMischief said:

It's DOS/DOSbox. Fired it up and wanted a source port right away.

EDuke32 is your friend. Also comes with a hi-res pack and special light rendering.

EDIT: Dammit Phml

Suit yourselves, I prefer the real thing, unless it's somehow broken.

EDIT: Damn its graphics are ugly. Doom looks 300% better in artwork. Or is it the Build engine making things look weird?

There is a software mode option in eduke32. Seemed to work alright for the ten seconds or so I used it. :)

ComicMischief said:

Awesome. Now to be a source port newbie once more and get stupidly and loyally attached to the first thing I try.

(Any recommendations before I do this?)

EDuke32 is what I use with my copy. With GOG you don't need a source port when I got Fallout 1 it just installed it all ready mounted. Back to OP, thanks for the heads up, I never played the Atomic Edition so might as well pick it up.

printz said:

Suit yourselves, I prefer the real thing, unless it's somehow broken.

DOSbox is slow on my machine. I'd prefer Duke 3D not running exactly like I have a 486.

Springy said:

EDuke32 is what I use with my copy. With GOG you don't need a source port when I got Fallout 1 it just installed it all ready mounted.

It's recommended unless you want to put up with the 1996 controls.

Pretty sure EDuke also makes it easier to install mods.

shockingly I have never played duke nukem 3d, looks like that is going to change :)
Awesome, thanks for the link

Awesome, I still have the original on CD which probably isn't compatible with my PC (though I'm sure I could have found a way around that) but anyway thanks for the heads up.

WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR, CHRISTMAS?

(empty) said:

It's recommended unless you want to put up with the 1996 controls.

Just downloaded this and I'm actually a bit annoyed that they don't change the defaults. id wasn't that lazy with Doom on Steam. Duke3D can support modern controls and higher resolutions than what they have set. (And non-OPL music, of course.)

ComicMischief said:

DOSbox is slow on my machine. I'd prefer Duke 3D not running exactly like I have a 486.

DOSbox runs slow on everybody's machines without a bit of configuration. I had Daggerfall working reasonably well on a Pentium-III laptop. DN3D should work for you if you have just about anything newer, but source ports are nice anyway.

I signed up for GOG to get this and it gave me ten other free games. Probably more interesting for me to try out some of those since I've played DN3D to death over the years.

I got DN3D (or backup in CD when I tried to save some old games my bro left), but not the Atomic Edition. Some cool mods (like Attrition mod,) won't run without the expansion, which sucks.

Well, you can now get Atomik Edition all for the price of creating an account on GOG.