Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomUK

Super shotgun reference

I don't recall ever reading anything about this, so I'll ask with a little trepidation: Does anyone know if there was a specific model of side-by-side shotgun, toy shotgun or double-barrelled rifle that was used as a reference for the SSG?

Or was it purely based on id's imagination and the generic image of a sawn-off shotgun (to be fair, most of them look pretty identical to the non-gun aficionado, unless you're comparing antique ones with hammers and more modern hammerless models)?

DoomUK said:

I don't recall ever reading anything about this, so I'll ask with a little trepidation: Does anyone know if there was a specific model of side-by-side shotgun, toy shotgun or double-barrelled rifle that was used as a reference for the SSG?

Or was it purely based on id's imagination and the generic image of a sawn-off shotgun (to be fair, most of them look pretty identical to the non-gun aficionado, unless you're comparing antique ones with hammers and more modern hammerless models)?

AFAIK the whole set of sprites for the arsenal were based on toys, for example the plasma rifle was based off part of a little toy gun that could be detached from it, the SG was based off a toy shotgun for kids and I can't remember the rest.

Maes said:

The fists and chainsaw were real ;-)

Well, I don't know Maes... wouldn't you agree that the FISTS were based on toys? :P

BaronOfStuff said:

Most likely the one from Evil Dead 2/Army of Darkness.

You know, I was watchign EDII the other day, and the first person scenes... Well, I wouldn't be surprised if the Doom 2 SSG was digitized right out of the movie for it's standard sprite. For the rest I dunno. Maybe they just got the same kinda gun of course.

buttspit said:

wouldn't you agree that the FISTS were based on toys? :P

Too hairy ;-)

I remember John commenting on his forums a long while back that the rocket launcher was based off the shotgun sprite, and the BFG was a toy gun with some shit glued to it. I think both sides of the BFG are mirrored.