Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DooM_RO

Rage DLC "The Scorchers" incoming this Tuesday!

DoomUK said:

Bigger mutants.

Oh, right. I think my mind erased any memory of them after that awful rocket-launcher ledge fight, in which despite fumbling around like a moron for minutes before getting this was yet another shoot-the-exposed-core affair, I wasn't in any danger of dying. The foreshadowing on these guys was really cool, but this particular encounter just didn't live up to it. IMHO, YMMV, the usual.

Harmata said:

This is not objective.

What Doomuk said. Really, what else can you buy for $5? A good sized sandwich, maybe. In terms of the amount of content being offered, you seldom get that kind of price elsewhere in the industry.

Harmata said:

Shut up.

Brilliant rebuttal.

What Doomuk said.

DoomUK said that something "is close to being objective". The statement can either be objective or subjective, there is no gradient. You sure you wanna repeat what DoomUK said?

In terms of the amount of content being offered

Yeah, i would like to hear those terms. Where is it written that 6 new areas, new skins and a weapon is fair amount of content for 5$? Not objective.

Brilliant rebuttal.

Because comparing prices in one industry to prices in other is how economy works. Lets compare prices on video games with prices on sandwiches. And did you hear that people starve in Africa? Totally related to 25$ mounts for WoW.

Harmata said:

The statement can either be objective or subjective, there is no gradient.

• Objective

Indisputable. Only the purest of idiots quarrel over it.

• Close-to-objective

You can dispute it, but only by splitting hairs and being particularly obstinate and cantankerous. Most people accept the status quo, but you don't because you're an asshole.

close-to-objective

Wow, this is so not nice.
"let's hang him because he's not guilty but he's close-enough-to-guilty".
Come on dude, do your homework, you are the one interested in philosophy.

Harmata said:

DoomUK said that something "is close to being objective". The statement can either be objective or subjective, there is no gradient. You sure you wanna repeat what DoomUK said?

He also said this:

Doomuk said:

I guess it's just enough money for one day's worth of food to survive on, maybe two or three if you stretch it.

... which was clearly what I was re-iterating, if you bothered to take the time to see the common subject thread between the two posts.

Harmata said:

Yeah, i would like to hear those terms. Where is it written that 6 new areas, new skins and a weapon is fair amount of content for 5$? Not objective.

You're either being obstinate, or you're just refusing to take the time to evaluate what is being said here. Or both.

Here goes: the typical price for a triple-A title like Rage, Borderlands 2, BF3, or the latest COD installment upon release is $50. In the case of Rage, the game has (at best) around 15 unique levels to explore. Since A) the levels themselves generally constitute the bulk of the time spent on the game(i.e. most players spend more time playing through the levels than they do learning how to drive the game's vehicles or learning the weaponry), and B) since Rage is a game that is centered around progressing through missions (as opposed to leveling up your character or weapons), $5 is a very feasible price for six new areas, and some additional side content thrown in.

Harmata said:

Because comparing prices in one industry to prices in other is how economy works. Lets compare prices on video games with prices on sandwiches. And did you hear that people starve in Africa? Totally related to 25$ mounts for WoW.

There's also the issue of the amount of time spent on each, did that occur to you? You could buy lunch for $5 and finish it in maybe 15 minutes max, or get some DLC like such is being offered for Rage, and spend a few enjoyable hours on it(if Rage is your type of game). My point isn't that you should opt for a game over sustenance as a general rule, but it illustrates one way that you get more bang for your buck.

Oh wait, I mean, SHUT UP.

... which was clearly what I was re-iterating

Clerly? Oh, sorry, i didn't see that in:

What Doomuk said.

Just like i wouldn't see it in

+1 DoomUK!

the levels themselves generally constitute the bulk of the time spent on the game(i.e. most players spend more time playing through the levels

What about shooting the monsters and racing and multiplayer?

B) since Rage is a game that is centered around progressing through missions (as opposed to leveling up your character or weapons)

and shooting monsters and racing and multiplayer. Not a single objective argument.

There's also the issue of the amount of time spent on each, did that occur to you?

This wasn't in his post and don't tell me it was implied. And seriously, time? What, restaurants charge for time you spent there?

This is coming out a year after Rage? Doom 4 must need funding.

Harmata said:

Clerly? Oh, sorry, i didn't see that in:

What Doomuk said.

Just like i wouldn't see it in

I can see you like to dissect quotes and use only the parts that help your case. God knows why, it obviously won't work on anybody who can remember what they posted last, i.e. anyone who ISN'T suffering from Alzheimer's. Either that, or you just didn't bother reading past where I said 'what Doomuk said,' and went on to elaborate myself. Short attention span, maybe.

I usually don't have to do this, but I'm going to re-iterate what I said, AND demonstrate it visually, since maybe you really don't understand.

Here's the part you left out(or didn't bother reading):

if you bothered to take the time to see the common subject thread between the two posts.

Note the italicized part, it was referring to these two quotes:

Doomuk said:

I guess it's just enough money for one day's worth of food to survive on, maybe two or three if you stretch it.

Caffeine Freak said:

Really, what else can you buy for $5? A good sized sandwich, maybe.

I hope it's clear enough for you now. You see what you can do when you stretch your attention span to the point where you can finish reading 2-3 sentence blocks of text?

Harmata said:

What about shooting the monsters and racing and multiplayer?

And what do you do to progress through most levels? Shoot monsters, right? That's the core of the game. Racing(not simply driving through the wasteland between levels, competitive racing) is a side attraction, as is multiplayer.

Harmata said:

and shooting monsters and racing and multiplayer. Not a single objective argument.

What's your 'objective' argument? That $5 isn't justifiable for all this? You do realize that really isn't 'objective' either, right?

It's all subjective when it comes to prices, so no, I'm not going to come up with an objective truth proving this to be worthwhile DLC. It's all relative to what the customer values, and the way prices on similar items are generally set up(hence my explanation above about the cost of triple-A games.) By the same token, you can't come up with an objective argument proving that it isn't worthwhile. Don't use an argument that your own side can't support, it makes you look ridiculous.

Harmata said:

This wasn't in his post and don't tell me it was implied. And seriously, time? What, restaurants charge for time you spent there?

Really, do I have to explain this too? Wow. No, restaurants don't charge for time spent there, my point was that, once your lunch is gone, your enjoyment of eating it is gone as well. Once you finish playing through some DLC, your enjoyment of playing through it is gone as well. The difference is, one of them takes maybe 15 minutes, and the other (the DLC in this case) takes maybe a few hours. $5 for each. Same price, different amount of time spent on enjoyment.

Anyway, I never said it was in his(Doomuk's) post, but thanks for answering my rhetorical question(it obviously didn't occur to you).

So I finished it last night and it was AWESOME!

The Nailgun is a fine addition to the game, it has 3 alternative fire modes that completely changes the look and functionality of the weapon. The default mode is obviously shooting nails (It even sounds like the one from Quake!) and has a huge clip. The second one is a Rebar mode which is essentially the crossbow from Half Life 2 and finally a Rail Gun mode which also has a sniper scope that detects enemies through walls. So you essentially get THREE new weapons. Did I mention how hilarious it is to kill enemies with it?

The levels themselves are really quite good and they are not repeated. Each level is adequately long (not too long and neither too short) and looks completely different to the last one. There is a cave system, a reactor complex, a new Mutant Bash Episode (which is hilarious) a very good Aztec temple and more! It also might be just me but do the textures in the new levels look better? The only downside is linearity.

The new Scorcher clan is not so different from the others apart from new visuals but they are still pretty fun to kill. There is only one new monster type, a very fast mutant that has chitinous armor on it. Oh yeah and it also has a satisfying final boss, maybe the first Id boss that does not suck.

Although a very good DLC (especially for its price!) it would be perfect if Id made one final DLC twice as big as the Scorchers that wraps up the Authority story line with a final boss and then release the two DLCs as a bundle called RAGE: Endgame. Oh well. It gets 5/5 from me, it's quite generous for 5$.

DooM_RO said:

It also might be just me but do the textures in the new levels look better?

I have noticed this. It is entirely possible that the textures are a slightly higher resolution/lower compression due to the lack of DVD space limitations and transfer speeds needing to be accounted for.

Ok, so some guy on the Beth forums said that there is a possible easter egg, much like the one in the Gearhead vaults. He said that there are bodies that can be "activated" and make classic Doom switch sounds. Before this, on my first play-through, I have also noticed a demon head from the Doom 3 Hell loading screen on the wall. I wonder if it's connected?

EDIT: Ok, so you CAN "activate" a dead miner in the caves, but what for? (Doesn't make a sound though)

EDIT 2: there is also a usable shovel before the miner(sorry I mean lamp but there are a few lamps near the shovel and one is usable). I've also found a peculiar oil drill that has a hole with blue glowing light.

EDIT 3: There is also a small box that says Fragile on it. Nothing else for the moment. If anyone finds something interesting pls put it in this thread.

Captain Red said:

Ok, minor tangent here but while there are a lot of things wrong with modern FPS design, the presents Iron sights has never come close to harming my fun in any game ever and it just baffles me that people point to it as one of the horrible things about modern gaming.

I mean you want to lament the reliance on cover systems, Linear maps, Cut scenes and QTEs? Hey! I'm right there with ya! Fuck those things! But Iron sights" eh, not feeling it guys. I like the option to take a careful shot if I want to.

but uh, anyways, How about that RAGE DLC huh? I'll probably get it because hey! $5!

Well. A basic criticism is that they slow down the game play. Since you can usually not sprint or move much while using them.

The real problem with ironsights is in multiplayer shooters however. Games that use iron sights usually solves the benefit with making the cone of random spread narrower. And while that is not a problem in and of itself, it means that the cone is larger when you're not using ironsight. A cone of random spread adds in a factor of luck rather than skill when iot comes to the shooting mechanic. For instance, in CS. The aim of the weapon is very much a matter of skill. Because you have a predictable system for spread in automatic fire. In Quake Live with the competetive game modes you simply don't have spread (except for on the MG, which even then doesn't have a lot of it and is just a base starter weapon anyway). The Shotgun do have spread, but the pattern is not random. Which makes it predictable and not so much a matter of luck.

DooM_RO said:

Oh yeah and it also has a satisfying final boss, maybe the first Id boss that does not suck.

Ehh, this is the ONE part of your post that I'll have to disagree with. I didn't really care much for the final boss. I mean, it was appropriately difficult, but when it went down it just... wasn't too satisfying for me.

COOL!!

Not know about this, just looked at steam and its super cheap!! Adds new stuff like being able to re-play favourite missions and being able to continue play after the credits!!

I loved Rage so picking this up...no brainer!!

YAY

Just remembered, what about Team Fortress 2 that received whole bunch of stuff for free plus modding tools?

Harmata said:

Just remembered, what about Team Fortress 2 that received whole bunch of stuff for free plus modding tools?

Personally I only like Team Fortress Classic, the new one just is not half as funny and thats the only reason I used to play the original.

I have so many fond memories.....in fact thats the first game I ever played over the internet.....on 56k dial up, you had to learn to shoot in front of the guy you wanted to kill.....oh the days!!!

Harmata said:

Have you actually followed TF2's development over the past couple years? Because trust me, $5 DLC has nothing on having to wait a month in order to have a chance of getting a game-changing weapon for free in a competitive FPS. Weapons that often cost more than $5 a piece.

You had to bump this thread to try and get the last word in again, didn't you?

Dragonsbrethren said:

game-changing weapon for free in a competitive FPS. Weapons that often cost more than $5 a piece.

Yep. This is a problem.

On-topic: I bought the Scorchers on day one, but I have been unable to stay interested for more than ten minutes. I've tried twice. This surprises me; I'm a fan of Rage and one of those people that has defended the game though I have my own criticisms of it. Anyway, I think in the face of Borderlands 2, a game with practically no hook-ins (XP, loot, classes/specializations, and so on) like Rage just doesn't do it for me right now.

Have you actually followed TF2's development over the past couple years? Because trust me, $5 DLC has nothing on having to wait a month in order to have a chance of getting a game-changing weapon for free in a competitive FPS. Weapons that often cost more than $5 a piece.

Competitive FPS? You probably wanted to say "team FPS", but I'm pretty sure that TF2 is far from Quake 3 TDM or even Counter-Strike levels of tournament balance, it was never planned as cybersport discipline, and that people wait for a free drop just to use unbalanced weapon to PWN shows that clearly. There's also trade between players now, so you're not actually have to wait, just find the seller. If it's so important. Because it's competitive.

Really, isn't Team Fortres 2 kinda famous for regular updates that introduce new features like crafting and weapon naming, and new content like whole bunch of items? So why Valve can do it, but others can't? Because Gabe is a bro and a smart dude, thats why, he didn't sell himself into slavery willingly.

So $5 DLC is a crime against humanity but the ludicrous prices in TF2's cash shop are perfectly reasonable because you don't have to buy anything? You don't have to buy this DLC either.