Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DooM_RO

Rage DLC "The Scorchers" incoming this Tuesday!

Theres always someone out there screaming injustices when it comes to DLC.

Then again this is Doomworld. I expect this EVERY time a modern game is mentioned

On topic proper: I will be buying this, but at a later date. I still havent finished Rage because I was insistent on getting that infuriating Five finger fillet trophy out of the way, I really should find time for it.

$5 is a very reasonable price for some additional content to a game where it's a lot of fun to shoot things, in spite of it's numerous failings.

I'll still pass on it though.

Harmata trolling aside. Rage may have had it's issues, but the only thing it REALLY needed was for the levels to be less linear. What was most interesting about it though was that a lot of the levels wasn't really built to be as linear as they were, they just had been blocklined to hell. Like none of the fences could be jumped for instance.

Other things like the lack of customization to your so called avatar the car(s) which were promiesed to have some sort of RPG element to them, were annoying and made the whole bit with leveling them rather superfluos.

Everything really boils dow to linearity. Story, issue was linearity and never really got a chance to grow. Cars, linearity. Levels, linearity.

It's possible that this is a similar development story to that of Quake. Where they had a great plan, and then shit happens and they decided to cut down on those plans and just get something released.

kristus said:

Story, issue was linearity and never really got a chance to grow.

The problem with the story is that it didn't make a lot of sense from the outset:-

• Post-apocalyptic planet: nanobot-enhanced super-soldiers are tasked with rebuilding the world upon their emergence from cryosleep.
That part's fine (assuming that's the premise; it's never really explained). But why are there entire communities of people in good health, with smiles on their faces and seem to be doing just fine, besides some occasional mutant and bandit problems that YOU are supposed to take care of all of a sudden, when these people can probably take care of it themselves?

"The Authority" doesn't become an issue until later in the game, and only after YOU'VE drawn their attention anyway. And where the fuck did they get the materials to build that super-high-tech facility that serves as the final level in the game? :p

Ceratainly all true, but the story is really the least of my concerns with most games. It's great in the cases of a great story being there but it being great won't make the game great on it's own. Bio shock is a shining example of this.

kristus said:

Harmata trolling aside. Rage may have had it's issues, but the only thing it REALLY needed was for the levels to be less linear. What was most interesting about it though was that a lot of the levels wasn't really built to be as linear as they were, they just had been blocklined to hell. Like none of the fences could be jumped for instance.

Other things like the lack of customization to your so called avatar the car(s) which were promiesed to have some sort of RPG element to them, were annoying and made the whole bit with leveling them rather superfluos.

Everything really boils dow to linearity. Story, issue was linearity and never really got a chance to grow. Cars, linearity. Levels, linearity.

It's possible that this is a similar development story to that of Quake. Where they had a great plan, and then shit happens and they decided to cut down on those plans and just get something released.

You may be right, especially considering the ending. It's clear that the game was supposed to be much longer but just like Doom 3, the game itself suffered from technical limitations.

What makes you think that the levels weren't built as linear?

$5 for what sounds like generous content and gameplay tweaks / improvements is a bargain. Moaners, go away. Not interested in the DLC? Fair enough, but for those that want more, let us be happy and enjoy the present.

DoomUK said:

when these people can probably take care of it themselves?

Therein lies the biggest plot hole of practically every FPS ever made. Apparently, the player character is really the ONLY one capable keeping his shit together and not getting massively raped by whatever the enemy force happens to be.

I realize that 'massively raped' doesn't make a lot of sense, but frankly I don't care.

That said, I will be buying this. Six new areas and a nailgun is a great trade for $5, even if I don't expect a lot in terms of storyline. Rage has some damn good shooting, and that's what I know I'm gonna get.

This should have been in the original RAGE release, not cut as it was (if it was that clan that was cut).

No thank you, the DLC is not large enough to satisfy me. You want DLC, you make DLC the way Borderlands and Borderlands 2 did, stuff that takes some time to complete, not in a single afternoon.

Or something as lengthy as Oblivion's Knights of the Nine or Shivering Isles.

Chris: I'm pretty sure the Scorcher clan was featured in the game already. I certainly remember shooting them.

It might have been another clan mentioned on the Rage wiki I was thinking of.

Mr. Chris said:

Or something as lengthy as Oblivion's Knights of the Nine or Shivering Isles.

For five dollars?

Doom II was totally a ripoff DLC for Doom. Like $50 just for a new gun and a couple enemies? They're killing the industry, I tell you. (The "new" songs totally were cut content.)

DoomUK said:

For five dollars?

No, for something as lengthy as Shivering Isles, $15-20.

I don't like cheap DLC that hardly add that much content for the game.

Gez said:

Doom II was totally a ripoff DLC for Doom. Like $50 just for a new gun and a couple enemies? They're killing the industry, I tell you. (The "new" songs totally were cut content.)

Totally agree!!!one!!

They didn't learn anything with that Wolfenstein 3D DLC that add 3 Episodes (I bet it's cut content!!!!!!!) and NOTHING ELSE, no new gun, no new enemies, not even new textures! This DLC thing is killing the industr... oh, wait, it was 20 years ago and we are still here, stronger than ever.

Gadbury said:

$5 for what sounds like generous content and gameplay tweaks / improvements is a bargain. Moaners, go away. Not interested in the DLC? Fair enough, but for those that want more, let us be happy and enjoy the present.

I'm fairly certain the average DLC Droner would still be complaining if it was free.

I think Gez should've also mentioned Doom 2 was about the same price (read: not five bucks) as Doom.

I wonder how well that'd go today; a set of mostly meh maps, a couple monsters and a broken gun, for sixty bucks.

Gadbury said:

Yeah, this. This is exactly what DLC should be. A small, cheap expansion pack, basically.

Mr. Chris said:

I don't like cheap DLC that hardly add that much content for the game.

Six new areas in the game is a pretty generous amount of content for $5, regardless of how you slice it.

I liked Rage, even though it has a lot of "modern FPS" problems, such as iron sights, overly linear level design. I really liked the AI.

The level editor sounds like its coming soon. Carmack tweeted that the final issues with it should be resolved over Christmas break...so I'd guess it's a few months away. I'd really, really like to see some keycard-style level design in Rage. And hopefully a mod that removes iron sights and makes hipfire super accurate?

Ok, minor tangent here but while there are a lot of things wrong with modern FPS design, the presents Iron sights has never come close to harming my fun in any game ever and it just baffles me that people point to it as one of the horrible things about modern gaming.

I mean you want to lament the reliance on cover systems, Linear maps, Cut scenes and QTEs? Hey! I'm right there with ya! Fuck those things! But Iron sights" eh, not feeling it guys. I like the option to take a careful shot if I want to.

but uh, anyways, How about that RAGE DLC huh? I'll probably get it because hey! $5!

tangoliber said:

I liked Rage, even though it has a lot of "modern FPS" problems, such as iron sights, overly linear level design. I really liked the AI.

The level editor sounds like its coming soon. Carmack tweeted that the final issues with it should be resolved over Christmas break...so I'd guess it's a few months away. I'd really, really like to see some keycard-style level design in Rage. And hopefully a mod that removes iron sights and makes hipfire super accurate?

What's wrong with iron sights? I mean even Doom 1 has iron sights, look at the shotgun more closely lol, plus with the upgrades, your guns are also pretty accurate. I agree about the linear level design and the AI though.

Time for some screeeneees! http://www.gameranx.com/updates/id/11497/article/rage-the-scorchers-dlc-screenshots-showcase-new-allies-and-enemies/

tangoliber said:

With such trenchant criticism like this, it amazes me that you aren't reviewing games professionally. I like the way you say it has "a lot" of problems and then list two of them, one of which is almost a non-issue, and then close the paragraph with something you enjoyed about it.

Leg-pulling aside, I do agree that Rage is a weird juxtaposition of good and bad. Personally I had more fun shooting things than I had with any other FPS in recent history. On the other hand, it's almost as if every other aspect of it was deliberately made to be as non-fun as possible. Even the visuals are a thoroughly mixed bag.

RAGE features health regen, which is the worst game mechanic in the industry. Iron sights are probably associated with bland military shooters like CoD and reduction of speed. And health regen.

Six new areas in the game is a pretty generous amount of content for $5, regardless of how you slice it.

This is not objective.

After you people reminded me about expansion packs, i realized that a lot of them were indeed overpriced for the content that they've provided. Even more, i think that i've mixed community made content with official content when i've said that we used to receive a lot of things for free. Fuck it man, they always exploited the living shit out of us.

ROW ROW FIGHT THE POWER.

Harmata said:

This is not objective.

No, but it's close.

Really, what can you buy with $5? I guess it's just enough money for one day's worth of food to survive on, maybe two or three if you stretch it. But if you're living in that kind of poverty then a DLC for some video game probably isn't going to be on your mind.

DooM_RO said:

What's wrong with iron sights? I mean even Doom 1 has iron sights, look at the shotgun more closely lol, plus with the upgrades, your guns are also pretty accurate. I agree about the linear level design and the AI though.

Time for some screeeneees! http://www.gameranx.com/updates/id/11497/article/rage-the-scorchers-dlc-screenshots-showcase-new-allies-and-enemies/

If iron sights simply meant putting the gun in the middle bottom of the screen like in Doom then I would be 100% fine with it.

What I don't like is
1) Making "hipfire" random and inaccurate so that "iron sighting" can be accurate
2) Forcing you to press an extra button (and slow down your movement speed in most cases) to get accuracy.

The authority machine gun in Rage with the laser was great...it was like they specifically provided that gun for people like me who hate iron sighting. The crossbow, shotgun and rocket launcher were good too.
However, the pistol was extremely inaccurate from the hip, as was the first assault rifle you get (even with upgrades). They are still effective from the hip, but the bullets fly all over the place.

If Doom 4 has iron sights, and if we can't shoot while sprinting, I will be extremely disappointed.

Zero interest here. Monster animations were awesome to look at (yes, Enjay, I do mean awesome here :) Perhaps I am easily impressed, but at times I would just sit there and watch the enemies do their thing), and it was a fun game to play through once, but the combat itself just didn't seem to have enough depth to make me wish for more Rage.

Better level design wouldn't be enough, the enemy cast was utterly forgettable in my opinion. Bandit, mutant, armored soldier - was there anything else? Probably, but whatever it was it didn't leave enough of an impression to be remembered after a few months.