Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
I'myourtarget

Man stabs 22 kids and an adult in a Chinese Elementary School

The official Xinhua news agency says the knife-wielding man attacked the children outside a school in Chenpeng village in Henan province. It said the children, whose ages are not known, suffered non-life-threatening injuries.

Good thing he didn't have a gun.

Or the ability to use a knife well enough to kill someone.

Seriously, it's not the weapon that was used that matters, what matters is the fact that the children aren't dead.

What's with the ghoulish competitiveness over how many children are actually dead?

I'myourtarget's poor choice of words shouldn't obfuscate the fact that both of these stories are abhorrent and utterly tragic. It saddens me that the China incident isn't receiving as much attention in the news as the Connecticut incident, not that I'm in favour of the glorification and voyeurism that the media implement whenever a shooting incident happens.

Do we know the exact condition of the injured children in China? "Non-life-threatening" isn't synonymous with "Superficial cuts and bruises, a good night's rest and they'll be fine", despite my sincerest wishes that that's the case. It doesn't take a death to ruin a life, especially where a child's is concerned.

DoomUK said:

What's with the ghoulish competitiveness over how many children are actually dead?

I'myourtarget's poor choice of words shouldn't obfuscate the fact that both of these stories are abhorrent and utterly tragic. It saddens me that the China incident isn't receiving as much attention in the news as the Connecticut incident, not that I'm in favour of the glorification and voyeurism that the media implement whenever a shooting incident happens.

Do we know the exact condition of the injured children in China? "Non-life-threatening" isn't synonymous with "Superficial cuts and bruises, a good night's rest and they'll be fine", despite my sincerest wishes that that's the case. It doesn't take a death to ruin a life, especially where a child's is concerned.

You can't stop at any moment with your dumb pro-gun rationalizations, can you.

printz said:

Buh? There was no mention of guns or rationalization of anything at all in the quoted post.

printz said:

If you honestly extrapolated that from my post and you're not being deliberately stupid in the name of entertainment, then the second adjective in your custom title is more applicable than ever.

DoomUK said:

If you honestly extrapolated that from my post

Well, I can try, but there's no way to verify when we communicate by written words. I hope this is my last post in this fruitless discussion...

printz said:

I hope this is my last post in this fruitless discussion

On that we agree.

Seriously, have mercy on my sanity and pay attention to what people are saying before you shit up threads with your mangled perceptions of what's being posted. It's not like this is the first time you've done this in recent history, otherwise I could just roll my eyes and carry on with my day.

Blue Shadow said:

Don't tell me because of the world is coming to an end in about 6 days :P

I really hope it's not lunatic believers influencing this.

The Mayans were wiped out and thus could never update their calenders anymore which is the reason why it stops at that date, they never predicted the world ending at that date.

All this stuff makes me worried on multiple levels...

I wonder how would it work if everyone was required to own at least one weapon and carry it on public places. Would it result in a massive deathmatch, or would people be able to control themselves from trying to kill everyone around them?

It cannot be solved by bringing more guns.

Jimi said:

or would people be able to control themselves from trying to kill everyone around them?

I don't think they would.

Jimi said:

I wonder how would it work if everyone was required to own at least one weapon and carry it on public places. Would it result in a massive deathmatch, or would people be able to control themselves from trying to kill everyone around them?

It kind of works like that in fringe environments -warrior societies, mafia, gangsters, mercenaries etc. but only among PEERS.

When dealing with each other in non-conflicting situations, they always assume that they are armed or that trying anything will result in immediate retaliation, and thus try acting with an informal diplomacy and abide by some mutually agreed upon unwritten rules -an outsider might call this a "code of honour" or consider it a form of "noble savage's respect".

The reality is less romantic: they simply try and keep as calm and diplomatic as possible because they know how much damage can be inflicted if shots starts flying and the police starts meddling with their affairs, which would be a lose-lose situation, so these "gentlemen" choose a more diplomatic compromise stance that won't hurt their mutual interests. So, it's purely a practical choice, but it sounds better if you call it "honour" or "respect" ;-)

Of course, even in those environments, there are "rookies", "loose cannons" and general "rule breakers" that can ruin your day, or selective application of said rules. Let alone that finding out who's a peer worthy of "respect" (and when) and who's not can be a tricky affair. Politics, gentlement, politics ;-)

DoomUK said:
It saddens me that the China incident isn't receiving as much attention in the news as the Connecticut incident, not that I'm in favour of the glorification and voyeurism that the media implement whenever a shooting incident happens.

That makes little sense because you don't get as much attention about Chinese elections as you do about US elections in the West. Simply because one is an event in the East, the other forms part of the West. I'm guessing the more reserved media coverage in China is also a factor.

Seriously, have mercy on my sanity and pay attention to what people are saying before you shit up threads with your mangled perceptions of what's being posted.

You didn't do that too well about the comments about deaths, as one was arguably implying "see, guns kill more, they should be controlled" and the other was just glad kids hadn't died, rather than obsessing about how many were killed. At least if you're referring to posts here. If not, you failed to cite what you were talking about... I haven't seen much news that goes "LOL, yanks are more murderous than chinks, look at the body count!"

myk said:

That makes little sense because you don't get as much attention about Chinese elections as you do about US elections in the West. Simply because one is an event in the East, the other forms part of the West. I'm guessing the more reserved media coverage in China is also a factor.

Perhaps. But when I have to search for the incident on the BBC's news website - usually my first port of call for checking out what's happening in the world, which is normally a comprehensive one which covers almost everything from everywhere - something is amiss, to me.

myk said:

You didn't do that too well about the comments about deaths, as one was arguably implying "see, guns kill more, they should be controlled"

I guess I find the "Think about how much worse it COULD have been!" reaction a little inappropriate. I make no apology for that. It reminds me of that Family Guy sketch from years ago where Quahog News reports a plane crash where no one was hurt, and then hypothesises what could have happened with a series of increasingly horrific and absurd dramatisations. Except, in this case, people WERE actually hurt.

I don't mean to inadvertently instigate a "Who has the most sympathy?" competition of my own, but personally my thoughts are with both the people in Connecticut and Henan in equal measure. Of course, not having any personal affiliation with either event permits some objectivity.

What irked me further was printz's reaction to my reaction and his abstract shoehorning of my feelings on guns into the thread, but I realise that's not your bone of contention here.