Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mr. T

The Hobbit

Awesome movie. I could have done without the portrayal of the stone giants but everything else was enjoyable.

TheCupboard said:

Awesome movie. I could have done without the portrayal of the stone giants but everything else was enjoyable.

Yeah, what was that? It just took up time and looked stupid.

I think that there are about a million different ways you can make a Lord of The Rings movie and that precisely 823,474 of those ways are good or better. I've seen Unexpected Journey and I liked it; the only problem I have is that Peter Jackson couldn't decide which movie he was making. The LoTR books have an unhasty, sing-song quality about them, so even though The Hobbit is comparatively concise PJ decided to transplant that aesthetic to this movie's opening and other dialogue-heavy moments. That's all well and good, but then he also felt the need to invent and tack on new action scenes according to the Hollywood assumption that after 15 minutes without a stabbing our boners will begin to flag. The escape from goblin town was a lot of fun to watch but other scenes just gave me whiplash. If they're going to include the comic talking trolls from the book then the scene should progress and end in a comic way. The chaotic, very PG-rated fight scene between the trolls and dwarves just didn't belong. If the filmmakers need a quick way to get all of the dwarves in chains they could just get one to yell "You'll never catch all of us!" followed with a Gilligan Cut. Also, instead of ending the scene with a quick and unsatisfying Gandalf ex Machina they could use ventriloquism and misdirection to get the trolls to go all Three Stooges on each other - like in the book.

I watched it today. I think that if you were to go into it without expectations from the book, it would be a good movie. I quite liked it, myself.
I'm not too sure about the stone giants bit - I don't remember reading about that. It seemed way too much like a BLAM to me. In fact, I predict that it will be put up as an example within a week.

stewboy said:

I watched it today. I think that if you were to go into it without expectations from the book, it would be a good movie. I quite liked it, myself.
I'm not too sure about the stone giants bit - I don't remember reading about that. It seemed way too much like a BLAM to me. In fact, I predict that it will be put up as an example within a week.

Actually, stone (or mountain?) giants were definitely mentioned in the book. I think lots of people have been wondering whether they're just Trolls, but the film settles it. I agree that these giants are kind of a BLAM in Tolkien's works themselves.

Also, I think this film was better off that I read the book first (many times). I don't think people who haven't read the book would enjoy it; it seems too slow. Also, Creaphis' post was tl;dr, but I saw him mention "Gandalf ex machina". If I didn't enjoy the book while being a child, I probably would find the scenes where Gandalf saves them too cheap. Also, no babes (none in the book as far as I remember). Sure as a woman there was Galadriel (and a few elf singers, blink-and-you'll-miss), but briefly.

Saw it today. Watching it I realized I don't remember a thing about the book anymore despite having read it over and over again back when I was a Tolkien buff that argued about each and every inconsistency in the LOTR movies.

Movie was good, could've been better if it was about a half hour shorter. By the time they were captured by the goblins I just wanted it to end.

First time I've been to a 3D movie, never going to do that again. Effects worked as intended, I even flinched once when they were throwing the burning pine cones, no headaches or anything, just found it distracting. I'd rather watch the movie for what it is.

TheCupboard said:

I could have done without the portrayal of the stone giants but everything else was enjoyable.

Indeed! I forgot to mention this exact same thought in my previous post.
I mean really, what the hell was up with those mountains suddenly transforming into fiercely competitive stone golems? And more importantly, what were those golems fighting about anyways? What could 2 giant mountains that stand beside each other possibly fight about? 0_o They don't even have any stone girlfriends... Or do they? 0_o
I don't know.
At least this scene was so small and quick that it didn't detract from my enjoyment of the rest of the film.

printz said:

I don't think people who haven't read the book would enjoy it; it seems too slow

I never read the book but I enjoyed the movie still.

Not a fan of lord of the rings, but I did receive an excellent Lord of the Rings cooperative board game from my girlfriend for Christmas, and after two plays, have decided it is excellent (http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/823/lord-of-the-rings)

Definitely won't see the Hobbit, I can barely watch 100 minute movies, but it does sound like something I could like. I don't care much for plots, but I do like a lot of character building and exposition and atmosphere.

Well I certainly wasn't expecting the same old tired to death "dragon invades and takes over" routine, disappointing compaired to LoTR's different than usual plot if you'd ask me. :P

Seen it twice now. Going again today. I have no real need to see it multiple times but I know different people who want to see it at different times and I'm going with them. Fortunately, I still like it.

Are the handsome, feminine looking dwarves supposed to be the females?

Ribbiks said:

After leaving I kinda wanted to make a Doom map like the goblin town :D

the goblin town looks exactly like Blighttown in Dark Souls... One of the most annoyingly difficult game area's ever.

I enjoyed the moofie but it wasn't as good as the LOTR moofies. And was it just me or does the Goblin King look like he's got a huge nutsack hanging off his chin? I lol'd.

Here's the action figure...

^ Why does that Troll King look like he has testicles growing on his chin? Was that the way that Tolkien has envisioned him originally back in the day? Or was that the movie director just getting excited? 0_o

It's just your imagination. To me it just looks like a big swelling off his head.

Yeah, it makes me wonder how many dwarf families would need to have their mines looted by the minions of this king just to pay for the liposuction of his face.

SEEN IT!!!

Cool movie, though some bits seemed a bit too drawn out!

Looking forward to seeing the other two parts :)

Saw it recently. I liked it, but that opening should have been left out altogether. Starting off with the Frodo/Bilbo bit would have been far more satisfying and actually would have made the film seem like it was about... y'know, a Hobbit. Jackson placed far too much emphasis on Thorin and Gandlaf, IMO.

Meh, Hobbits. Sawn off parochial, small-town attitude, unambitious, myopic runts with limited horizons always wittering on about The Shire and their desire for a simple life in a simple place. I have no problem with them being sidelined a little.

Enjay said:

Meh, Hobbits. Sawn off parochial, small-town attitude, unambitious, myopic runts with limited horizons always wittering on about The Shire and their desire for a simple life in a simple place. I have no problem with them being sidelined a little.

And yet the little buggers saved the world!!!!! *rolls eyes* lol

Enjay said:

And yet the book was told from the perspective of Bilbo. The Hobbit was about the journey and growth of a loyal, hesitantly brave individual who would otherwise had lived the simple life of all of the other Hobbits. It felt like For most of the movie, I felt like I was watching "The Dwarf, the Wizard, and the Clumsy."

Considering it's a trilogy, it makes sense, as you need strong supporting characters and stories. The structuring just threw me off, I guess.

bcwood16 said:

And yet the little buggers saved the world!!!!! *rolls eyes* lol

Snakes said:

And yet the book was told from the perspective of Bilbo. The Hobbit was about the journey and growth of a loyal, hesitantly brave individual who would otherwise had lived the simple life of all of the other Hobbits.

All true and I get what it was all about. I just don't really care that much for Hobbits. Tolkein obviously loved his creation. The regular references to the surprising way in which Hobbits are remarkably good at doing A, B or C indicates as much. They are obviously both a literal and figurative "little man achieving great things". No doubt they are also based on an idealised, stout hearted Englishman archetype, representing all that is good and wholesome about simple folk. However, I'm just not that interested in them. To me it's like having the Star Wars stories told from the perspective of an Ewok. It would still be a good story but I wouldn't care any more about Ewoks. Or a droid... Owait! ;)

Elves, dwarfs, men, and hobbitses (heh heh, rifftrax: "he calls two groups of hobbits hobbitseses") are specifically referred to as races, so you guys are being racist against hobbits. Now if they were all different species and incapable of interbreeding, then that'd be fine because being speciesist is perfectly acceptable, as anyone who eats chicken mcnuggets knows, not that those are necessarily even made of chicken. But we all know that those races are very capable of interbreeding since that's what the lord of the rings trilogy was mostly about. What I want to know is does the "race" of dwarves have... races? Like are there black dwarfs? I think the only black people in that whole movie were the orcs, which just goes to show that the whole trilogy was propaganda created by the elites to use racism to divide and conquer. You can see illuminati symbolism on the one ring for example.

188DarkRevived said:

The idea of humans crossbreeding with elves always seems to get me excited.

Elrond is named Eldrond Half-Elven in the Silmarilion, does this mean he is half Elf half human? He is the child of Eärendil and Elwing.

NVM; found a link here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Half-elven. So there was a union of Elves and Men long ago.

Awesome! I guess Elrond could totally relate to Spock from Star Trek who is authentically Half-Vulcan and has the same pointy-shaped ears.
I bet they'd be able to sit down and have a long deep conversation if there was ever a crossover featuring them.
No doubt they would enjoy analyzing all the numerous ways of Hobbits being illogical.

I only write posts like that because of my custom title; I've been typecast! Which reminds me- "custom title" is a propaganda term because I can't customize it. Looking it up on newspeak, aka thefreedictionary.com (why do they make it free? the same reason many other things are free or low price, like "obama phones" which form a surveillance grid with their roving bugs - because taking in the trojan horses is part of the price), the most fitting definition of custom, as applied to custom titles, is this one: a. Duties or taxes imposed on imported and, less commonly, exported goods. Its a reputation tax!