Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doom-Child

insomnia

I realize this isn't really DOOM oriented at all, but I feel the need to rant a bit, given that it's 4:58 a of m and I'm still awake.

Insomnia is a terrible thing. It's one of those conditions that no one can diagnose üntil they've stayed üp as long as yoü have, at which point any doctor woüld be doing what yoü're doing, namely, taking showers at three thirty jüst to entertain yoürself and cütting patterns into yoür desk with yoür eyeball lasers.

It's not as if yoü don't want to fall asleep; it's more like yoür eyes don't obey yoü when yoü try to shüt them. They act like a stübborn transparency screen that won't stay down when yoü püll the string.

And yoü forget things. Things that yoü normally wouldn't forget on a regular basis withoüt the aid of extremely powerfül and probably illegal sübstances. Like words that yoü generally take for granted. I think I took a good forty-five to fifty seconds jüst to remember the word "screen".

The insomnia headache has to be the worst. Your head hürts like yoü haven't slept in days, because yoü haven't slept in days, for whatever reason. That düll, throbbing ache near the top of yoür forehead that seems to take some sort of sadistic pleasüre in moving every twenty minutes or so to jüst behind your eye, where it pokes and prods at varioüs nerve endings until yoü've almost motivated yoürself to attempt an amateür opthamological procedüre that woüld leave yoü minüs one eye. But deep down, yoü know that the headache woüld persist. Somehow, yoü'd miss part of it when you took it from your socket, and it woüld grow again into the tiny tümor of pain that it was when yoü still had yoür depth perception.

Insomnia does fünny things to yoür mood as well. One moment yoü're perfectly content to sit and stare at yoür desktop backgroünd containing a humoroüs yet vülgar Penny Arcade comic, and the next moment yoü're convinced that Gabe meant yoü when he threatened bodily harm, so yoü start to fire off a hastily written and poorly spelled email to his accoünt when you süddenly get the ürge to try and eat yoür moüse.

The insomniac hünger is probably my favorite. Yoü had a hearty meal several hoürs ago consisting of no less than three cans of Campbell soüp (Chunky, no less), and now yoü feel as if yoü coüld eat Marlon Brando's weight in Ben and Jerry's. Yoü're like a pregnant woman, as yoü raid the refrigerator in search of bizarre combinations that yoür body can neither refüse nor digest, süch as sandwiches with cheese for bread, pickle relish for peanüt butter, and cottage cheese for strawberry jelly, all washed down with a glass of grapefrüit juice that yoü didn't even know yoü had in yoür 'fridge.

In short, insomnia redüces mortal man to his most base instincts, and then warps those instincts süch that said mortal man is no longer distingüishable from a dück-billed platypüs, except that the platypüs has probably slept in the past forty hoürs, whereas yoü haven't, and now, to keep from shaking the ürine oüt of yoür body via yoür sinus canals jüst to see if yoü can, yoü're forced to post completely boring and rambling rants aboüt the natüre of insomnia on forüms that have absolütely nothing to do with it.

Doom-Child, Doomworld's resident Dave Barry impersonator

I hear you Doom-Child. Well put and very recognisable.

Nothing feels quite like that awful reality that the clock has finally crept round to 7.30 am and you have to start functioning like the rest of the world. This is despite the fact that all you have been doing for the last 8 hours is staring at the ceiling, looking at the non existent patterns on it, with all sort of irrelevant thoughts creeping into your head, and with the ever present, overriding longing to be asleep nagging at you. However, sleep is something you know you will not achieve. Soul destroying stuff.

Wow. I expected an incredible bloodbath for an "off topic rambling post full of poor sentence structure and umlauts".

As for the insomnia, yes, it sucks, and it sucks hard. I got three hours sleep this past night, and I feel like goat shit. Now I have to go to chapel and the rest of my classes. Don't expect to hear from me until about 8 pm CST.

DC

That's sucky. I've never had the bad luck to have insomnia. However, I have heard what's it like, and that's enough for me.
I feel your pain.

I've had insomnia before, but usually, I stay up until 4 AM because I want to.

The best cure for lack-of-sleep headaches, from my experience, is something caffeinated.

Good point Arch, but unfortunately, it takes a lot of caffeine to do anything to me, and when I crash, I crash hard. That's why I stayed AWAY from the Frappacinos.

DC

Originally posted by Doom-Child
Good point Arch, but unfortunately, it takes a lot of caffeine to do anything to me, and when I crash, I crash hard. That's why I stayed AWAY from the Frappacinos.

DC

Man, that would suck. I live off Dr. Pepper.

Heh, yeah, but I know what you mean about taking more to affect you. Caffeine's a drug, and people who are addicted can get tolerance to it, too.

I love Dr. Pepper. And cream soda. Even though most of those don't have too much caffeine (if any).

DC

Originally posted by Doom-Child
üp yoü yoü're jüst yoürself cütting yoür yoür yoü shüt stübborn yoü püll yoü yoü withoüt sübstances yoü jüst hürts yoü yoü düll yoür pleasüre jüst varioüs yoü've yoürself amateür procedüre woüld yoü minüs yoü woüld yoü'd woüld tümor yoü yoür fünny yoür yoü're yoür backgroünd humoroüs vülgar yoü're yoü yoü accoünt süddenly ürge yoür moüse hünger Yoü hoürs soüp yoü yoü coüld Yoü're yoü yoür refüse süch peanüt grapefrüit yoü yoü yoür redüces süch distingüishable dück-billed platypüs platypüs hoürs yoü ürine oüt yoür yoür jüst yoü yoü're aboüt natüre forüms absolütely

Are you insinuating that I have insomnia?

I suppose I do, but all it does different for me is keep me awake.

I'm like what you described all the time, whether I have it or not :P

No no, I was writing that last paragraph, and while I typed the word "absolutely", I thought about the fact that your name appears in the word if you replace the "u" with an umlaut. Then it became a perverse source of entertainment to replace all the "u"s with umlauts.

DC

Originally posted by Archvile64
Next time, try to replace all the letter with umlauts :P

ü üüü üü üüüüüü üüü üüüü üü üüüüü!

mountain dew had the most caffine, but the jolt cola afaik had the most cafine.

Tell me about it, in the last four days I've slept for a total of something like 16 hours :(

I sleep fine :)

Yay.

Where's Sleepy_Boy aka Insomniac himself to grace this thread?

That does suck. I normally sleep well, but seem to require a ton of it. i guess it's because of how much tension i have. My shoulders never seem to come down. The worst is when you've got something to do in the morning and you can't get to sleep.

I only sleep about 4 hours, which is ok until wife or son ask me to drive them somewhere real early, I get grouchy :)

Originally posted by Liam the Bard
I never sleep that much. I'm used to it.

Neither do I, usually 4-6 hours on Weekdays, and anywhere between 2-8 hours on weekends. Some people just don't need as much sleep.

Originally posted by Liam the Bard
I never sleep that much. I'm used to it.

Aren't you the wuss who always leaves at 3am when we're playing?

This thread is a jinx. I read it, and it's 5:00 in the morning. I'm supposed to be getting ready to go somewhere in three hours, and I haven't slept. What fun.

Yeah, it's 3:49 here, and I haven't slept either. Of course, that could be because I am now on a caffeine high, I did some extreme coding for about four hours and now I'm all wired. And I can't seem to look at my monitor straight.

DC