Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bloodshedder

Site and/or forum bugs or things not working

7 hours ago, Job said:

I saw a duplicate of my avatar flashing with the frames of the original one. Kind of interesting. 

Screenshot_20180131-194848.png

This.

I've seen something similar happening with my avatar as well, but on PC. A part of the avatar would duplicate and then keep flashing right on top of it, covering the user title. Initially I thought it was just an odd bug caused by the browser cookies or cache and cleaned both since then, but it'd still happen sometimes. Glad I wasn't the only one to experience something like this. Simply reloading the page fixed it however, and haven't run into it for a couple of days.

Is the site's layout fucked on mobile for anyone else? When I go to Doomworld on my Android phone using Chrome, the layout is all white with basic HTML elements and hyperlinks which makes it a colossal pain in the ass to use. I have Javascript enabled and it was working fine the other day.

1 minute ago, Nevander said:

Is the site's layout fucked on mobile for anyone else? When I go to Doomworld on my Android phone using Chrome, the layout is all white with basic HTML elements and hyperlinks which makes it a colossal pain in the ass to use. I have Javascript enabled and it was working fine the other day.

Nope my Samsung has no issues. It's what I'm using to reply.

Let's see... on my phone it's Chrome 50.0.2661.89 and Android 5.1.1;SM-J320P Build/LMY47X.

My Chrome is old because I had to uninstall the updates. Chrome had updated and it fucked up my bookmarking, causing all bookmarks to go to a temporary "managed" folder that I couldn't control. Had to revert to the factory version which of course wiped all my bookmarks and settings. Thanks for nothing Google.

I moved the CSS / JS files to an external server. They *should* still work fine (they certainly do for me). If you're having issues I would need more information. It's possible that your DNS servers haven't updated with the new server's existence yet. Try loading this image:

https://static.doomworld.com/monthly_2017_03/doomguypic_100x100_border.thumb.png.a4b6e6d306aeb735b124c9ddbf7dff4d.png

If that doesn't work, it's almost certainly a DNS issue, because the file is very much online.

Good question since it seems to usually work fine. My initial thought is some sort of race condition where someone posted precisely while the software was in the middle of querying for the latest posts.

Editor seems to retain hidden line breaks I intend to remove. They're not there in the editor, but show up after posting.

The post editor is kinda janky but it's the freeware version of a big popular commercial javascript "app" for WYSIWYG text boxes. There is almost no way I could ever hope to find and correct subtle problems with it.

At this point I'd like for the "useful or not" rating in the file reviews section to be non-anonymous, because it seems somebody has nothing better to do, and simply downvotes reviews just because, and I am getting tired of that shit. I'd much appreciate if people who can't appreciate other people's efforts got exposed, and preferably dealt with.

Someone dumped downvotes on all but one of the reviews here shortly after I posted mine, which pushed the wad to the front page. And this is hardly the first time this has happened.

24 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

At this point I'd like for the "useful or not" rating in the file reviews section to be non-anonymous, because it seems somebody has nothing better to do, and simply downvotes reviews just because, and I am getting tired of that shit. I'd much appreciate if people who can't appreciate other people's efforts got exposed, and preferably dealt with.

Someone dumped downvotes on all but one of the reviews here shortly after I posted mine, which pushed the wad to the front page. And this is hardly the first time this has happened.

I was thinking about completely ignoring this since I couldn't care less whether someone agrees with my reviews or not, but now that you came out with this problem, I think it'd be a good idea to be non-anonymous, or at the very least the responsible person to receive some kind of punishment for childish behavior like this.

Every single review I wrote until now was downvoted, probably by the same person. Well, ok, almost, but I've no doubt the Scythe review I wrote a couple of hours ago will be inevitably downvoted as well soon enough. It's past being "fun" at this point. And I noticed questionable "0/1" downvotes for other wads as well.

Nih's long thoughtful review of Impure getting 2/5 helpful votes not long after it was posted almost looks like raid/driveby voting (or whatever the correct term for that is) tbqh. I don't know if removing the helpfulness vote is the answer, but I think removing anonymity would definitely help.

2 minutes ago, Grain of Salt said:

I don't know if removing the helpfulness vote is the answer,

I think people should be able to vote when a review is useful, but downvoting stuff out of spite or pure boredom etc is shit, imo. I mean, this forum does not have dislikes for good reasons, and I think dmg_64's idea of applying the same logic to voting on file reviews would be a decent long term solution that does not require any sort of additional effort in terms of moderation.

It is somewhat ironic that the review system which allows both upvotes and downvotes is anonymous while likes have no anonymity. 

Personally I like the idea of up/downvotes for reviews without anonymity. On the flip side, if downvotes are done away with, then upvotes might as well be likes and call it a day on that whole voting system beyond what likes accomplish. 

*edit*

Actually just having upvotes would be similar to the editing questions section, so nm on most of that last paragraph.

It'd make sense if it used the same system as the editing questions (upvotes making the most appreciated reviews "float" up) or the generic likes (popular reviews getting a ribbon).

Unsure if I am the only one, but page loading is an experience :

Spoiler

rnA0fW7.png

The correct theme shows after a couple of seconds in rapid steps. Browser is Firefox 57 x64 !

1 hour ago, Oxyde said:

Unsure if I am the only one, but page loading is an experience :

Reveal hidden contents

rnA0fW7.png

The correct theme shows after a couple of seconds in rapid steps. Browser is Firefox 57 x64 !

This is an "awesome" little problem in Firefox. It is also affecting GitHub and any site using MediaWiki (including DoomWiki.org obviously). It starts rendering the page without waiting on stylesheets that are supposed to be synchronously loaded. Basically, breaking the web at a very fundamental level and making it impossible to avoid the "flash of unstyled content" problem.

1 minute ago, Quasar said:

This is an "awesome" little problem in Firefox. It is also affecting GitHub and any site using MediaWiki (including DoomWiki.org obviously). It starts rendering the page without waiting on stylesheets that are supposed to be synchronously loaded. Basically, breaking the web at a very fundamental level and making it impossible to avoid the "flash of unstyled content" problem.

Makes it very clear then, thanks!

I've updated to Firefox 58.0.2: Issue is still present though style is applied much more quickly! Let's expect an update for this then. Thanks Quasar!

It's a long-standing Firefox annoyance. It's possible to work around it on the web side of life with some Javascript hackery (literally hiding the page content on FF until the styles fully load), though "hackery" is unfortunately the key word of that sentence. :(

[Not saying "never", of course.]

Interestingly I've found that disabling Greasemonkey (just by clicking on the monkey's face on the toolbar and selecting disable) solves my FOUC both here and on DoomWiki/other MediaWiki sites. Maybe worth a shot to try disabling any script or CSS loading plugins you have installed just to see if it makes a difference. Firefox devs seem to be aware of multiple issues related to this.

2 hours ago, riderr3 said:

These white spoilers is very ugly and should be changed.

Agreed.  I can't even see any text in the spoilers unless I highlight it.

Is there a way to view who I am following when viewing my profile? I like to keep track of this somehow. I see how there is a way to view who is following me and everyone else and I can see who has last visited my profile but I can't see a way of viewing who I am following.

45 minutes ago, Halfblind said:

Is there a way to view who I am following when viewing my profile? I like to keep track of this somehow. I see how there is a way to view who is following me and everyone else and I can see who has last visited my profile but I can't see a way of viewing who I am following.

Yeah I really should add a link to that on your own profile page. For now:

Screen Shot 2018-03-02 at 1.33.57 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-03-02 at 1.33.48 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-03-02 at 1.33.28 PM.png