Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bloodshedder

Site and/or forum bugs or things not working

26 minutes ago, Linguica said:

If you admit you are clueless then why are you suggesting courses of action?

Just pretty good with db engines, that's all. I'm clueless because I don't have a look at the structure, and you didn't say if the upgrade added tables or fields. I didn't mean to suggest courses of action; rather just throwing out some ideas for a issue that you had apparently been wrestling with - guess I was wrong - sorry about that.

I hacked in a thing to have elasticsearch only update records less than a week old every time there is a new post, which should hopefully avoid timeouts while making the unread content stream stop having duplicates (unless you go back further than a week I suppose, can't wait for someone to complain about that...)

Nice. I couldn't really articulate my thoughts before, but I'll give it a try now:

I have to assume that the forum software is in use at a lot of sites. And, unless you live dangerously, and are at the bleeding edge of technology, you're usually not the first site to upgrade. So, bugs as big as this one should have been noticed by the devs. But, maybe the devs have never tested on a site as big as Doomworld.

So, it's either not a bug, just a slow/busy db server, or there are undiscovered bugs. Or the third option: An upgrade script partially or silently failed at some point.

If I had to guess (and I do, since we established that I am without clues), I'd say the query timeout is just that, and DW has a lot of threads, posts, and users to sift through.

It looks to me like your mod did, in fact make a big difference. Maybe bumping it to, say, 90 days or so, would prevent future complaints, stemming from confusion.

Anyway, you've got it covered - good job. Thanks.

WTF is an "elastic search" anyway? Elastic timeouts :) It sounds like a monster.

25 minutes ago, Linguica said:

An elastic search is what I am about to do to you [latex glove snaps on]

You may get more than you bargained for, in that endeavor...

8 minutes ago, Linguica said:

You should now be able to link a Discord account and use it to log in.

So that's why the login through Steam wasn't working... It scared the shit out of me since that's the way I'm logging in here.

BTW, is there some way to "migrate" my DW account from Steam to a normal one? You know, so I don't have to depend on their servers if they ever stop working.

17 minutes ago, KVELLER said:

BTW, is there some way to "migrate" my DW account from Steam to a normal one? You know, so I don't have to depend on their servers if they ever stop working.

If you link a Google / Facebook / Twitter account, the chances of their servers going dead before Doomworld's is pretty low. But I don't actually know if there is a way to "convert" an account. I feel like maybe you can log out and click the "reset password" link to the associated email address, which might kickstart it into being a normal account as well.

edit: I just tried it and yeah, it works. A little cryptic though.

There is no spoiler option on the mobile version of the site.

Is spoiler text something people do often enough, even on a phone?

In a pinch, you can always do

[spoiler]fart[/spoiler]

and it will get converted.

It's pretty minor, but it seems the little dot/star bullet before a topic title is no longer updated. Before, it was a circle (class="fa fa-circle") in front of a topic in which you haven't posted, and a star (class="fa fa-star") in front of a topic in which you have. Topics in which you only have posted after the forum update stay with a circle.

The new notification sound is unpleasantly shocking when I hear it. Not a big deal though, seeing as how the sounds can be turned off. 

Really thought I left Doom running when I heard that sound, then I realized it's just the new notification sound.

14 minutes ago, Ajora said:

The new notification sound is unpleasantly shocking when I hear it. Not a big deal though, seeing as how the sounds can be turned off. 

Why don't you go eat six strips of bacon between two fresh, never frozen beef patties with piping hot melted cheese, perfectly soft, but not too soft, bakery bun, ketchup and mayonnaise, all wrapped up in a Baconator® about it?

13 minutes ago, Linguica said:

Why don't you go eat six strips of bacon between two fresh, never frozen beef patties with piping hot melted cheese, perfectly soft, but not too soft, bakery bun, ketchup and mayonnaise, all wrapped up in a Baconator® about it?

I've never had a Baconator before, and I don't ever wish to try one. 

20 hours ago, Cacodemon345 said:

Actually I like the new Doom notification sound, reminds me of Skulltag.

Why would a Doom2 sound effect remind you of Skulltag rather than Doom2?

Edited by Edward850

5 hours ago, Ajora said:

I've never had a Baconator before, and I don't ever wish to try one. 

That's awful. For a decade, Wendy’s more “carnivore-forward” customers have unwrapped the signature Wendy’s foil to reveal a multi-sensory, meaty masterpiece that stands in all its juicy glory as the standard by which we judge all fast food beef-oriented sandwich meal items.

After all, what’s better than one fresh, never frozen beef hamburger patty?

Two.

Two fresh, never frozen beef hamburger patties.

…with piping hot American cheese melting between them.

What’s better than two fresh, never frozen beef hamburger patties with piping hot American cheese melting between them?

BACON.

Six delicious strips of Applewood smoked bacon, to be exact.

Applewood smoked bacon that captures that delicate balance of salt, sugar and Applewood smoke from the smokehouse because it’s fried in its own juices in the pan.

Layer these six strips of bacon between two fresh, never frozen beef patties with piping hot melted cheese, stack it all between a perfectly soft, but not too soft, bakery bun, add ketchup and mayonnaise and you get?

hqdefault.jpg

The Baconator. The perfect BACON cheeseburger eating experience.

Leave Ajora alone. I love his fast food sponsorship spills.

6 hours ago, Edward850 said:

Why would a Doom2 sound effect remind you of Skulltag rather than Doom2?

Actually, I played Skulltag MP. Probably just a fact that I haven't played Vanilla Doom multiplayer that much due to shitty internet connection that I've had...

Edited by Cacodemon345

Well, this certainly went off the rails.

Personally, I don't care much for burgers if they don't have lots of veggies on them. I also find that having that much meat on a burger is overkill to the point of unpleasantness. I usually get a Big Bacon Classic when I'm at Wendy's. 

If anyone did any funny business they should admit it now or get permabanned when I find your IP logs.

The only thing I did was like a post, but that was before I noticed the problem. It was the last post of page 6 of MAYhem 2018 - Orange version to be specific, so feel free to undo that since it was a mishap.

I think I didn't do anything. I found that out when I saw some extra stuff when browsing others' profiles.

I didn't do anything, either. All I did was went to your profile to see if it was true. I logged out after that, but it was only then did I think of giving "Xyzzy01" a cool custom title >_<

I still have no damn clue what's going on :v .

I didn't do anything I think?