Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bloodshedder

Site and/or forum bugs or things not working

I think it's an ID number mix up: 19204 vs. 19205, for example. This might require the creation of a custom process that walks across each record - a tool that's complicated to build, and will only be run once. (only a guess).

Those 3 links above contain both an ID number, and a map name. If links like this need to be preserved (I imagine that's true), doing fixups could require some messy work.

Anything I can do to assist?

Only noticed last night that there's no strike through, superscript, and insert/remove numbered list buttons on mobile.

This is maybe dumb but for some reason i'm not able to embed youtube videos. No matter what is still showing as text instead. Maybe i accidently disabled but how activate that thing again? I'm not able find such a thing.

edit: it's fixed itself somehow, wonder what happened.

(srry for the spam)

Edited by Marlamir

On 10/11/2018 at 7:20 AM, Agent6 said:

Only noticed last night that there's no strike through, superscript, and insert/remove numbered list buttons on mobile.

You can at least use superscript with the "sup" tag.

I've noticed that pasting a link will not turn into a link by itself unless it can fit on a single line. This might possibly only affect the mobile site.

For example if the link is long enough to split onto a new line in the reply, it does not get turned into a pressable link. Changing screen rotation to go landscape mode and pasting the link works as intended.

Another issue, sometimes the site is just unbearably slow to load for me. Other sites load fine and video loads fine, so it's the site or my connection to the site. Sometimes things take 5 seconds and others it may take a full minute to load a page.

This might sound quaint, but sometimes the site is falling victim to spambots. I don't have a particularly good defense system in place to deflect automated attacks, which are unfortunately a reality for anyone running a web site in 2018. Just now I looked into your complaint and found a spambot that had been pegging the site's CPU at 100% for the last day or so.

Before someone suggests Cloudflare, let me remind you: I do not have access to the DNS servers of doomworld.com and I am unable to use Cloudflare at all, which is one reason I would like to switch to cacoworld.com or what have you, since I do not seem able to procure this domain name.

1 hour ago, Linguica said:

Just now I looked into your complaint and found a spambot that had been pegging the site's CPU at 100% for the last day or so.

Wow what a difference it seems to have made. Two second load times every page so far since logging in. Damn those spambots!

3 hours ago, Nevander said:

Another issue, sometimes the site is just unbearably slow to load for me. Other sites load fine and video loads fine, so it's the site or my connection to the site. Sometimes things take 5 seconds and others it may take a full minute to load a page.

I was going to post the same thing, but I thought it was just my connection having fun. I guess that wasn't the case after all.

The latest most advanced russian spam bot, at least when I (happened to) look into it was touted as having the ability to defeat word CAPTCHAs, so the capability is out there. Apropos of the discussion.

My apologies if this is not the right thread for this question, but when I follow someone, is there a way to set things up so I only receive notifications when they actually create new threads, and not for every comment they post?

The reason I ask is that there are a few Doomworld members whose work I like, and if they release something new, I don't want to miss it -- so I currently follow them. However, in practice this means that I am sometimes bombarded with notifications when they are simply interacting with other people on the board (often in threads that do not necessarily interest me), which is not what I'm after.

I'd like to also know the answer to that question, it's the main reason I don't follow anyone at all and wonder how my 50-something followers don't go insane :P

It would be nice to be able to customize the notifications honestly (as in, receive notifications only from certain people you follow), if it's possible to introduce such a feature. I'm following a number of topics and people, so usually if I don't check my notifications each day their number can easily go through the roof (like, 90 notifications in 2 days). 

I sometimes wonder how the followers who actually read my posts often don't go insane since I'm a spammer (what, it's quite obvious, no point in denying reality). 

On 12/23/2018 at 3:01 PM, hedgehog said:

... is there a way to set things up so I only receive notifications when they actually create new threads, and not for every comment they post?

On 12/23/2018 at 4:10 PM, Linguica said:

https://www.doomworld.com/notifications/options

turn off "Someone I am following makes a post" 

Thank you, but unfortunately this turned out not to be as useful as I had hoped. While I have stopped receiving notifications for each new comment posted by the people I follow, I've just noticed that I now no longer receive notifications for new topics/threads they create either. For me, that pretty much defeats the purpose of following them in the first place.

Is a middle ground possible (i.e. to receive notifications just for new topics/threads created by followed members)? It would be nice if it were.

Can someone explain to me the meaning of the 4 powerups in each post? The Megasphere, the Invinceble, the invisible and the Supercharge, they're all "Likes". Is it a way to tell how much you liked the post from 1 to 4? And if it is, What's the low and high?

18 minutes ago, Kepehn said:

Can someone explain to me the meaning of the 4 powerups in each post? The Megasphere, the Invinceble, the invisible and the Supercharge, they're all "Likes". Is it a way to tell how much you liked the post from 1 to 4? And if it is, What's the low and high?

There is no difference between them, unless you give each sphere meaning. All four spheres are present mostly due to their cool factor.

Edited by seed

16 minutes ago, seed said:

There is no difference between them, unless you give each sphere meaning. All four spheres are present mostly due to their cool factor.

Thanks!

So, could you or someone get me an example of a meaning to each of the spheres?

7 hours ago, Kepehn said:

Thanks!

So, could you or someone get me an example of a meaning to each of the spheres?

I spent about 20 minutes typing up a long post only to get this message and then lose all but the first sentence.

https://i.imgur.com/Q0FmCJS.png

If it matters, it was for this thread.  Just thought I would report.

Also, you can paste an image from your clipboard into the draft of a post, but they don't show up in the final post.

3 hours ago, kmc said:

I spent about 20 minutes typing up a long post only to get this message and then lose all but the first sentence.

https://i.imgur.com/Q0FmCJS.png

If it matters, it was for this thread.  Just thought I would report.

Also, you can paste an image from your clipboard into the draft of a post, but they don't show up in the final post.

That seems to happen to a lot of people but i've spent quite a lot of time writing posts myself (usually i have to re-read/edit what i've written to make sure i didn't mess up) and it's never happened to me (yet). I use Google Chrome as my "browser of choice" :p I wonder if it is a Windows 10 thing or if it only happens with a certain browser. Hmm...

You mentioned a clipboard so i'm assuming you are on a newer Windows then 7 as Win 7 is older now & i don't think that Windows 7 has a clipboard (i just use the snipping tool). This is obvious but i guess just to be sure that what you have written doesn't get deleted in a long post, make sure to copy everything that you have written before you post it, just in case the "Your previous content has been restored" function doesn't work.

This post

https://www.doomworld.com/forum/post/1977601

started to get duplicates while I was in the thread. The "(Member) has replied. Show reply" message would appear, and it would create a duplicate even though the original reply was posted two hours ago at the time of writing, and what's interesting is that it didn't stop there, instead it continued to create one or two more clones of itself after a couple minutes. The duplicates also contained a like from the original post.

All of them were gone when I reloaded the page.

I'm started to get MAD at something that should have been take care of :

The recent wads going to /idgames have no rating or reviews! If only they would appear in Doomworld Downloads (Beta), but no, there's NO f***** way to rate or review them!

For how long this issue will stay untouched? I just lost interest in upload to /idgames!

And what's the point of the 4 likes of choice anyway? Sure each sphere has a different meaning, but I guess you'll never know the real meaning! For me it's ridiculous! It would make more sense to have: like or dislike, or 4/5 spheres with rate system.