Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
purist

Stanimapping (Grindmapping) Exercise - GO GO GO!!!

Stanimapping is a (possibly) new and embarassingly titled variation on speedmapping. The principle is that you can take as long as you like on a map so long as it's all done in one sitting.

One sitting, for the purposes of the excercise is loosely defined as an unbroken spell in your level editor of choice. You can leave the editor to playtest the map, go to the toilet, look at Doomworld or eat lunch but not to sleep, go outside or do, you know, other important real life stuff.

Prep work can be done in advance as long as it doesn't involve the editor and some amount of bugfixing can be done after the map is uploaded similar to in regular speedmapping.

Anyone intersted in this? If so post here. Provided people want to join in I'll post a theme at the start of January and you can pick the most convenient point in the month for a bit of a mapping marathon.

JANUARY'S THEME

INDUSTRIAL ZONES

Factories, power plants and derelict warehouses are all welcome. I want to encourage variety and won't be busting balls over eligibility so, provided you can describe your map as industrial with a straight face, you're good.

Resources

Custom music is OK but I'd prefer to stick to stock textures. If there's a custom texture you can't live without then fine, but include it in your WAD seperate to it's texture pack, I don't want to fiddle about doing that. Credit the source for any custom music or textures.

Format

Format is Doom II, limit removing cl 2. So don't worry about VPOs but no advance Boom trickery please. Avoid using map specific specials, or if you do be warned you risk exclusion should these maps get compiled.

Gameplay is single play, pistol start. You don't need to worry about co-op or DM if you don't want to. Skill flags are encouraged but not essential.

Pick any point in January where you'll have plenty of free time and make a map in one go (see first post for the definition). When you're done upload your map and link to it here. Post your start, end and total mapping time, including a short description on your take on the theme. If you don't want the map including in a compilation this would be the time to say so.

Finally, if this becomes a thing I will change the name to grindmapping. Happy Grinding!!

January Grindmaps

Slime River Factory by Katamori (3 hours, 37 minutes)

Alligator by purist (7 hours, 41 minutes)

Migdal Bavel by dobugabumaru (approx. 10 hours)

Yeah why not, should be fun, interesting if anyone produces a large map where they don't end their post with "please kill me"

This sounds kinda like my mapping approach anyway; I don't like to return to half-finished things and chip away at them if I can help it, so I don't mind spending all day on the one thing. I've yet to get to this with Doom mapping, though I used to.

A notable exception would be thing placement though. That is something I don't mind tackling bit by bit - in fact it's often better not to have it all fresh in one's mind.

Seems like my standard approach to speed mapping. I could realistically do this on New Year's Day, as it no longer looks like I have any plans for the previous night and only have work the next day.

In fact, I was toying with the idea of trying to make a map on that day anyway, given my free time.

Sounds like my kinda thing! I'll join.

What'll be interesting about this project is the wide range of quality we'll get from contributors, as some will only have a few hours and others might work all day on it.

Nice to see some early interest. I'll post the theme on New Year's Eve all being well so those who have free time on New Year's Day can start.

General Rainbow Bacon said:

I think it would be more of a sporting event if it really was one sitting, as in no getting up for anything at all.

Well, those pretty much are the rules. I just made a few sensible exceptions for essentials so I don't cause any burst bladders or dehydration :-)

Leaving the laptop on while you spend a couple of hours flying a kite or walking the dog is not in the spirit of the exercise but nipping downstairs to put the kettle on or having a toilet break is reasonable.

The idea is based on John Romero's Perfect Hatred, which was built in six hours straight in one sitting.

I actually kinda like this idea, since it's free of arbitrary time constraints. Might mean it's somewhat possible to pull off. :P

I might participate in this... Hope the theme will be a little vague so that we can get a nice variety of maps.

I very well may be interested in participating in this. Me actually being able to make a map would be a nice change of pace.

purist said:

At risk of missing the sarcasm, no. It's a portmanteau of stanima and mapping.

This is what I thought, but the merging of two words fail so you have to spell stamina incorrectly to merge the words properly.
There I have ruined Christmas :P

Oops, spellcheck fail :-) At least I warned everyone the title was embarrassing! If these maps get compiled I'll think of a better title based on the theme or something.

General Rainbow Bacon said:

I think it would be more of a sporting event if it really was one sitting, as in no getting up for anything at all.

I believe that would be "stainmapping".

This sounds fun, I'll probably take a crack at it.

ComicMischief said:

Enduramapping?

Or Stamapping, perhaps?

Not as snappy but at least it's based on actual words. Still, for the sake of familiarity, I'll stick with the bastardization until the spelling police come get me.

purist said:

Or Stamapping, perhaps?

Not as snappy but at least it's based on actual words. Still, for the sake of familiarity, I'll stick with the bastardization until the spelling police come get me.

Sorry :)
Still a good project idea though

Everyone ready for some Stanimapping?

OK, for anyone (like Phobus) who wants to start on New Years Day. Here's the January 2013 theme. I've gone for something vague and comfortable to ease us in since this is a new premise.

INDUSTRIAL ZONES

Factories, power plants and derelict warehouses are all welcome. I want to encourage variety and won't be busting balls over eligibility so, provided you can describe your map as industrial with a straight face, you're good.

Resources

Custom music is OK but I'd prefer to stick to stock textures. If there's a custom texture you can't live without then fine, but include it in your WAD seperate to it's texture pack, I don't want to fiddle about doing that. Credit the source for any custom music or textures.

Format

Format is Doom II, limit removing cl 2. So don't worry about VPOs but no advance Boom trickery please. Avoid using map specific specials, or if you do be warned you risk exclusion should these maps get compiled.

Gameplay is single play, pistol start. You don't need to worry about co-op or DM if you don't want to. Skill flags are encouraged but not essential.

Pick any point in January where you'll have plenty of free time and make a map in one go (see first post for the definition). When you're done upload your map and link to it here. Post your start, end and total mapping time, including a short description on your take on the theme. If you don't want the map including in a compilation this would be the time to say so.

Finally, if this becomes a thing I will change the name to grindmapping. Happy Grinding!!

I'll grind map tomorrow like I said, but may have a bit of difficulty with actual uploads and linking if my landlord doesn't sort out the internet. I'll stick to the spirit of the thing either way and do the actual map in one sitting (allowing breaks for avoiding bladder infections and starving to death).

That's OK, do the map and worry about the upload later. Uploading is not part of the mapping process so it doesn't have to be done at the same time.

Hmm, interesting I may contribute in the future but in my current state I can't due to motivation gets lost easily and I get exhausted after 15 minutes straight of mapping. Can't you call it "One Take" or "Endurance Build."? Oh, before I forget, how is one going to prove that it was in one sitting? Are you going to be giving a time limit or something? Sorry if it was mentioned but if no time or something has been stated might I suggest a user (who is contributing obviously), posts saying that they will start a map and say a couple of hours (or more?) is given to them to complete said map then posts it?

Hrrraaaggh, I'll give this a go at some point mid-January when I have an entire day free. I'll really have to scribble some ideas down first (starting right fucking NOW), or we'll all be playing about 5 sectors that took just as many hours to slap together.

Yeah, count me in. Don't expect anything even approaching incredible though.