Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Goat

doom 95

i got doom 95 now and all the versions of doom and now i cant get the mouse to work with it, i go into configuration and click "mouse support" and it still dont work. god i fuckin hate this shit

Doom95's mouse support is broken. As a rule most other people can't get it to work either. Go to Doomworld's source port section to get a better program to run Doom with. I recommend Legacy, PrBoom, and ZDoom.

Legacy if you want useless features noone uses in their wads.
PRboom if you like it oldschool.
ZDoom if you like using the best port available.
Jdoom if you're looking for gfx.
Zdaemon if you want to play online.
Vavoom if you like all these things in one port.
Boom, well, I don't know why you would want this.

Only reason you'd want to use Boom is if you're a DOS freak :)

Boom rules.
and SOME doom95 cd installs will give mouse support, others not.
only my UDoom cd does (not the other 2).

Use PrBoom for God's sake... :)

Originally posted by Ralphis

Funny, I've seen plenty of amazing wads that use Legacy-only features.

Hey, I'm a DOS freak, and I LOVE Boom!!! Boom is my sourceport of choice, because it is closest in feel to the original. Don't belittle my precious Boom.

Why is it 50% of threads in this forum end up as source port debates these days?

NO ONE CARES WHAT YOU THINK

goat, the best policy is ignore everyone, download everything, and see for yourself a) what works, and b) what you like.

I like ZDoom, but that matters diddly squat to you, my goaty friend.

Originally posted by pritch
Why is it 50% of threads in this forum end up as source port debates these days?

Because PrBoom r0x0rz

Well we could debate our heads off about which source port is best, but I think we can all agree they are all several orders of magnitude better than Doom95. Right?

Originally posted by Liam the Bard
It's a widely known fact that doom95 is shit. Use Legacy.

Will you quit your Legacy preaching already?

And stphrz, mouse actually does work in Doom95; I've tried using it myself. Remember how I disproved the fact that demo recording wasn't possible? Well......

And:

Originally posted by Ralphis
PRboom if you like it oldschool.
ZDoom if you like using the best port available.
Jdoom if you're looking for gfx.
Zdaemon if you want to play online.
Vavoom if you like all these things in one port.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

And just one last question; why would anyone want to use a mouse in DOOM in the first place? (Don't start another flamewar over this)

Penis Erectus

LMAO

Very fucking witty.

I'm sure Fod is proud of you little wigglers.

Originally posted by Crendowing
And just one last question; why would anyone want to use a mouse in DOOM in the first place? (Don't start another flamewar over this)

VIVA KEYBOARDING!

Originally posted by Crendowing
Will you quit your Legacy preaching already?

Nope.

And just one last question; why would anyone want to use a mouse in DOOM in the first place? (Don't start another flamewar over this) [/B]

Spend a good month or so getting used to a keyboard + mouse configuration (use the mouse for turning, shooting, and opening at least) and you'll see. I promise.

Most people like this one...

W - Forward
S - Backward
A - Strafe Left
D - Strafe Right
Mouse - Turning
Left Mouse button - Fire
Middle Mouse button - Open

(Interesting variation on this I used to use - Use E for Forward, D for backward, S for strafe right, and A for strafe left)

I like...

Right Mouse button - Forward
Space - Backward
S - Strafe left
D - Strafe right
Mouse - Turning
Left Mouse button - Fire
Middle Mouse button / Doubleclick right mouse button - Open

Here are some more interesting configurations that might be worth your time.

Now, cribbed from Doom2.net...

Keyboard alone, especially the "default" arrow-key and shift-ctrl-alt config, while allowing basic movement, does not allow high-speed or precision aiming. Aiming with keys alone is limited to timing shots while pivoting relatively slowly. Some keyboarders will be able to play competitively against joystick users, beginning skilled mouse+keys players, and some intermediate skilled mouse+keys players on some maps, but any player that wants to gain great skill in deathmatch must not use keyboard alone as his controller.

Joystick use offers no advantages that I can imagine.

Keyboard and Joystick users will need to convert to mouse+keys (or possibly trackball+keys, but this is much less common and I will stop referring to it) if they want to learn to be skilled. Converting to mouse+keys from keys alone is difficult, but well worth the time and effort spent. I know this from having gone through the experience, since I was a keyboarder for a year before I switched.

If you are a keyboarder and are still hesitant to switch to mouse+keys, perhaps this will help. Click here to read what it was like for me to switch from Keyboard-only to Mouse+keys.

There you are.

edit: Heh, that article by BahdKo almost seems arrogant in places... oh well :p

Right Mouse button - Forward

Space - Backward

S - Strafe left

D - Strafe right

Mouse - Turning

Left Mouse button - Fire

Right Mouse button - Open

Wow, weird

Hey, you have forward and open on the same button - that's generally undesirable

Originally posted by Lament

Wow, weird

Hey, you have forward and open on the same button - that's generally undesirable

Oh wait, sorry, I meant MIDDLE mouse button. In doom2.exe and prboom it's DOUBLECLICKING the right. I'll edit.

I used to play with a pretty weird setup myself, before I became a WASD zealot.

Right Mouse Button: Forward
Left Mouse Button: Fire
Less Than Sign: Strafe left
Greater Than Sign: Strafe right
Space: Open
Question Mark: Run

Worked well, until I needed to move backward...must be why I have such a blitzkrieg style...

Oh yeah, Legacy4Eva. So there.

DC

Spend a good month or so getting used to a keyboard + mouse configuration (use the mouse for turning, shooting, and opening at least) and you'll see. I promise.

Nope. Tried it once, I don't think I'll ever get the hang of it. You just wasted time typing all that out.

As most use S = straffe left d=forward f=straffe right e=back? let me suggest you try a=straffe left s=forward x=straffe right z=back turn k/b so it's angled with left hand side of k/b nearer to you, see how the keys fit better in your hand? And the Z for back is a lot more aligned than e or w or x ?

Originally posted by fodders
As most use S = straffe left d=forward f=straffe right e=back? let me suggest you try a=straffe left s=forward x=straffe right z=back turn k/b so it's angled with left hand side of k/b nearer to you, see how the keys fit better in your hand? And the Z for back is a lot more aligned than e or w or x ?

I tried that once and my hand almost fell off.

I used to have the arrow keys set up for movement/strafing with control as duck and insert as jump. You might want to try that as a trainer, but now, after Solder of Fortune and Undying, I'm a hardcore WASD zealot myself.

Just so you know, here's my SoF config:

W = Forward
S = Backpedal
A = Strafe Left
D = Strafe Right
Shift = Duck
Space = Jump
Q = Cycle inventory right
E = Use inventory item
R = Reload

MouseLeft = Fire
MouseMid = Alt-Fire
MouseRight = Open

MWheelUp = WeaponSpecial1
MWheelDown = WeaponSpecial2

Try getting used to that. You'll be cycling through items in a gunfight, tossing grenades, reloading and ducking behind a wall, holding open and strafing to lean around corners, ZOOMING THE SNIPER RIFLE WITH THE MOUSE WHEEL, and generally kicking ass left and right.

The only thing left to desire is weapon switching.

I always liked zooming with the RMB, so as to leave the wheel free for weapon switching. With a little bit of scripting, you can make the RMB almost as effective for switching weapons as the wheel.

Good God, all this sleeplessness is affecting my typing. So maybe I just need to run a freakin' spellchecker on my code.

DC