Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
purist

Maps by my 6 Year Old Son

Following Dylan turning seven and his mention in the 2012 Cacowards, I have compiled the maps he made when he was six from the blog, added a fifth unreleased map called Never Survived and uploaded them all to /idgames where you can download them now.

• Like Doom?
  • Like six year old children?
  • Like 10kb uncompressed maps?
If you answered yes to two or more of these, this could be the mapset for you!

Screenies:

Reviews are mixed on /idgames as you might expect from very simple maps but this is more a look into what the design decisions an untrained mind would make than an attempt to make modern style levels.

purist said:

• Like six year old children?

Chris Hansen?

Despite being mostly square rooms with strange monster placement, I enjoyed playing these for some reason. fda

Nice demo and kudos for maxing as it's easier to run past the monsters in most the levels.

I think you'll find my review at idgames database very favorable.I will also say here that this young man is talented and intelligent.If anyone wants to rag on me for my opinion,that's okay.Even the best mappers had to start somewhere.So my best to you guy!

I didn't recall this thread was so old when I recorded my fda today. I actually searched for it at wads/mods first page, heh.

Well, since I've just recorded this fda, and I remember Purist saying at some point that his son loved watching people playing his maps, I decided to post it anyway. Hope I'm not upsetting anyone with this megabump.

Here's my fda:
http://confrariadacosta.com.br/doom/my6.lmp

Your boy must be very intelligent, congrats. It was fun.

The fact that he's 6 years old and maps for doom deserves 4 stars alone.

Will give it a go tomorrow.

Well, these maps are quite nice.

Gives off a feeling of child-like innocence and nostalgia. Also reminds me of the first maps I made.

Makes me want to map again.

Will your son make even more maps?
I want to see more maps from him.

You shouldn't have released them, instead. You could give him a chance to change for good and then get him to design better maps because it's a first try, nobody began good at the beginning as the majority didn't even release their first works because they utterly suck. If he changes at mapping give him a try to make more maps and if they got better, release it.

Crasger said:

Will your son make even more maps?
I want to see more maps from him.

Well, I'm going to subscribe to see how far he gets in the following 10 or 15 years.

Cell said:

Well, I'm going to subscribe to see how far he gets in the following 10 or 15 years.

That is, if he decides to stay with us.

Crasger said:

That is, if he decides to stay with us.

I seriously hope so. Potential mappers should be brought up from this generation, and maybe he will be the one whose map's gonna be nominated in the "50 years of Doom" announcement in December 2043.

joe-ilya said:

You shouldn't have released them, instead. You could give him a chance to change for good and then get him to design better maps because it's a first try, nobody began good at the beginning as the majority didn't even release their first works because they utterly suck. If he changes at mapping give him a try to make more maps and if they got better, release it.

Going to disagree with this sentiment entirely.

If anything, Dylan should take this opportunity to gain some feedback from the Doomworld community about what he's doing right/wrong in his Doom mapping for the future. Plus he'll have Purist overseeing things.

Also projects like NOVA: The Birth encouraged newbie mappers to bring out their inital efforts and it went down quite well in my opinion, so what's wrong with releasing your first/early Doom mapping creations for the (Doom)world to judge?

Well, I had more fun with it throughout than I usually do with Doom II, so that's good. It has doors, so that's cool.

Cell said:

maybe he will be the one whose map's gonna be nominated in the "50 years of Doom" announcement in December 2043.

Man... 50 years.

Isn't it too early to think about that?

It seems nice how we'll probably last 50 years.
I wonder how the celebration will go.

Your son likes cyber demons...

I enjoyed the maps, it was a bit unfair though when there's almost no health, but that's only a small drawback. This basically shows he may be a mapping genuis in a few years...(his specialty - slaughtermaps xD)

Cool to see this resurface. Darch, I'll show Dylan that FDA. It might give him some encouragement to do more mapping. He hasn't finished anything since those. He's 8 now and I think he's at the age where he wants a bit more autonomy but is still too young to map without some kind of help.

On Joe Ilya's point -- I half agree. I don't think there is any need to archive all your first attempts and indeed I only used a temporary host for these maps whilst I posted them originally in blogs. However, the Cacowards made them somewhat newsworthy so Ithat is why I gave them a permanent place for posterity.

That said, it's pretty rich hearing that from Joe of all people!

purist said:

I'll show Dylan that FDA. It might give him some encouragement to do more mapping. He hasn't finished anything since those. He's 8 now and I think he's at the age where he wants a bit more autonomy but is still too young to map without some kind of help.

I seriously hope he stays with us.

Maybe make him play some other maps out there so he'd know how they work.