Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ribbiks

Slaughterfest 3 [Beta_C released, 05/08/2017]

Okay, THIS YEAR I will finally contribute to Slaughterfest. I'm signing up for a mapping spot.

Now that I'm finally able to look a bit closer...
FDA for Temple Arena. What a devious map, it alone shows my constant lack of concentration and cold blood, took around 10 tries or so to beat it. I liked it anyway, nice one. Sorry, never had enough willpower to deal with all of those cacos and just ran away in fear.

Butt & Castle of the Damned - these seem to be too hectic for me so FDAs got scrapped with me being repeatedly blown to shreds in a couple of minutes, sorry. I'll beat them eventually I guess, but with my crazy style of play I'll definitely take my time with them.

To be continued. Hopefully.

Okay, another one for Joyless. Hard enough to relax and drink a cup of coffee while playing, it took 3 (or 4?) tries to get to the RK area where it finally ended for me and my persistence (yeah, I know it's funny but I really forgot that I had BFG back then, crap). On the map itself - honestly speaking I'm not a fan of such aesthetics so I didn't like it that much, but I can't say anything bad gameplay-wise. Seems fair enough for me, requires some effort but doesn't rape. That's it for now.

UPD. I wanted to put this off til tomorrow but it'd be better if I post it now since I've got something to say and I have to hurry before I forget it.
Here goes FDA for Gutbuster. This map provokes mixed feelings. It looks cool and original (I don't remember playing something like that for a while), but it plays... weird. During the whole playthrough I've been wondering what the hell's going on and what the hell I'm doing after all. I've been short on ammo almost all of the time, though I guess player's offensive capabilities depend heavily on which direction will be taken first. Anyway - that moment with SM and 4 AVs felt a bit too harsh for me, considering RL will be given you later, so I had to pray and rely on infighting and thin cover to stay out of the frying pan without being able to retaliate at once. Other than that - I think this map lacks dynamics, especially in the beginning where player has to take down hordes with SSG and nothing else. If I was doing something wrong - feel free to correct me.
Also, some quick on-the-go questions/suggestions:

What do these switches do? I hit 'em and then happens... something. Maybe just hadn't noticed, but still.

I suggest putting block monster lines on these rev columns.

UPD2. Aaaand - FDA for Daiyu. The only thing I'd like to say - Holy fuckin Mary Mother Of God fuck me all night long, Chinese Hell hath no mercy! I don't mind such chaotic style, though for me it always means the hard way, but YK area felt too much for me, haven't beaten it. Maybe another time. Other than that - nice one, if only a bit too symmetrical. And those pictures... No, she's nice, but...

The YK area is a remake of the final battleground of Combat Shock 2 Map03. It's important to get enough cells to enter this area because there's only 4 cells inside(If I remember well), and also need to beware of the crushers. And those pictures, all from my PC, my favourite pictures, but nice looking Chinese girls anyway.

Anyway my 2nd map for SF2013 is halfway done. It will be a remake of Community Chest 4 Map17, but added a yellow area. Only some parts are symmetrical. This map will not have any BFG, but instead forced pacifist without armor in the beginning, and forced SSG in most parts of blue area with tricky situations since there's not enough rockets at that time(Because forced to waste some of them while leaving the Yellow area the first time).

Daiyu_Xiaoxiang said:

The YK area is a remake of the final battleground of Combat Shock 2 Map03.

Ha, now I remember that I escaped that area as soon as I had the opportunity. Though I recall some similarities indeed.

Finally FDA for Poop. Brutal and quite random beginning, but after that map becomes significantly easier and more enjoyable. Made it to the RK switch, and damn that LS who had decided to stay in the line of fire! Blown myself to pieces and didn't feel like restarting after that. But this one's fun anyway.

Firestarter link is dead, so I can't check that one out. Reup please.

Demonologist said:

What do these switches do? I hit 'em and then happens... something. Maybe just hadn't noticed, but still.

They sprout medkits behind you.

Demonologist said:

fda for poop

I would have quit there too. If I edited it I'd maybe make it so you only get the bfg at the end and have a lot more imps or something, but I'll probably leave it as is.

hey ribbiks,

i have a nice small slaughtermap for your project. but i have some questions before, about the terms and other stuff. i'm not so experienced when it comes to doom. how can i contact you personally? i don't want to write here in the doomworld forums. can i contact you by e-mail? if you want my e-mail adress:

djd2006@gmx.net

please write back. when i have the answers i need, i can finish the map soon hopefully.

thx, djd!

I made a speedmap. Something for the kids to practise some dodging skills on. Maybe it can serve as an early map in SF13? I dunno, you pros decide. I'm open to change alot with it.

Use cc4-tex. map03.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/gdxhri

ps: I forgot to change direction on the playerstart-thing. It's supposed to be facing the other direction.

Are you sure you've provided all the info? I'm getting visual glitches all around, makes me think this map's raw as hell.

Demonologist said:

Are you sure you've provided all the info? I'm getting visual glitches all around, makes me think this map's raw as hell.

I think so? Did you load the cc4-texture wad?

Yeah, something is definitely wrong, this is what I see, not that it stopped me from playing:

my cc4-tex is dated 17.08.2012 16:39 and weights 13 287 566 kb (13 291 520 on disk).

Okay, everything seems to be fine this time. Here's FDA, 1 death. Liked it quite a lot, cool for speedmap I think, though such usage of AVs felt a bit harsh for me, thin cover and lots of baddies in narrow places with RL-equipped player... However it's okay considering the length of the map imo. And I'd also advise to cut health/cellpack supplies for the final battle, there's an abundance of them, much more than needed actually. Then again, because of its size this map could be slightly less forgiving.

darkreaver said:

Seems like I used an edited version of the texture wad.

Here is the map: http://www.sendspace.com/file/wsdgx8

Feel free to speak out if it sucks. It's a speed map, and I can edit it alot if need be.

Played it, died like 7 times saving/reloading because I suck with RL + lost souls. The wings in the beginning could use something like imps firing on you, besides worrying about rev missiles and archviles it's not too bad. I was surprised I didn't die to the yellow key trap, considering any homing rev missiles have nothing but the pillars on the fence to break against. Oh and the arachnatrons on the side platforms are easily ignorable, perhaps chaingunners on individual platforms would work better.

The final fight, the bfg is way easy to find and just hole up in the cave, the brief time the mobs on the other side see you is enough for them to infight and straggle along so there's not much pressure for a good 30 seconds. I'd make a solid wall that lowers of 128 length after the wide part of the fenced area so they can get to you easier, perhaps have a cyb port in it so there's some more pressure there. If you don't want that, remove about 300 cells from the bfg cave and make the cells in the cyb cave the 20 packs. There should be more pressure on that part for how small the map is.

Theme looks nice, perhaps could use a little more detailing on those pillars with the tree on them in the final area though.

here's an fda for pathogen. 1 death, eventually completes in 6:14.

fun map, short, sweet, too the point. A few comments:

- the amount of cells and medikits for the last fight felt a bit overkill...
- the YK trap felt kind of weird, was it intended that you get AV blasted on the platform? If so is there a way to get it should you kill all the AVs?
- you can rush to the lower level after grabbing YK, not sure if this was intended, but it sure made picking off the YK horde that much easier. I'm not sure if it would've been as fun if I was forced to stay up there and kill a bajillion AVs.

Anyways I really liked it, especially for a speedmap. There was still a section that has an unknown texture, see this screenshot.

Thanks guys.

About the detailing, I'll touch it up a bit later. I was speedmapping this, so "a circular rock with a tree on it? nice enough!".

How about I keep only the BFG in the cave, and no ammo? That way you have to go get the BFG, then go back and pick up the ammo. I can also remove 50% of the packs there.
I was also thinking I could spawn in some monsters from within the exit cave when the BK lowers. Any thoughts?

Anyway, I'll have a look at it tomorrow.

edit: Thanks Ribbiks. The YK will lower when you press a switch behind the teleporter the YK horde comes out of. Maybe I should raise the YK-pillar so you cant AV-jump to it?
It's still possible to run back to the starting area after setting off the YK trap though. Killing them from there is much easier. I'll have a look at it (I think I know what to do actually).

Gut Buster V3.
I took everyone's advice into consideration (thanks again) and changed a bit of the gameplay and layout. I really felt that the whole cave thing that was in there originally didn't tie in with the rest of the map, so I completely redid it. Some people complained it was cramped, so now it's more of an arena thing. Also moved the cybs into a higher location, making them easier to instigate infighting and easier to shoot. Of course added difficulty settings and so on. I had some problems with the custom sky, though. Tell me if you see some glitches or whatnot. Possibly final version.
cc4-tex.

certainly plays better than the previous versions I remember. the biggest contributing factor being that there's now more room to maneuver in most areas. I have a couple gameplay/graphic concerns yet:

- this looks a little funky

- hurray floating items

- maybe I'm stupid, but when exactly does the RL get revealed? it would've been really nice to have before going along the route to the BK. playing without it was dreadfully tedious (that room with barons and arachs before the BK arena in particular, I think I just circlestrafed while ssg'ing a dozen barons)

- the mancs en route to the exit seem kind of pointless. I'm guessing they're there to prevent the player from running past the post-BK clusterfuck? regardless having to kill 2 hallways worth of them was kinda boring so I skipped half of em.

- also the midi sounds weird for me, not sure why. I know it's supposed to be that TNT track, but for some reason the bass tracks aren't playing, so all I hear is droning guitar... not sure if that's a problem on my end, or with the song file

After 11 failed attempts at starting a map, I finally had one of those inspiring dreams that lead to any map I manage to complete.

I present : Desecration (use cc4-tex)

I'm not even sure if it's possible to beat. There's also a few gimmicky traps. I'm not able to play well enough tonight to beat it, so I'll let your guys do the grunt work for me :)

Rayzik said:

After 11 failed attempts at starting a map, I finally had one of those inspiring dreams that lead to any map I manage to complete.

I present : Desecration (use cc4-tex)

I'm not even sure if it's possible to beat. There's also a few gimmicky traps. I'm not able to play well enough tonight to beat it, so I'll let your guys do the grunt work for me :)

Gave it a whirl, not a bad design aesthetic. Played on UV and only died three times - 1) on the Arch-Vile after the Spider Mastermind, 2) in the Arch-Vile/Invuln room (didn't run to the invulnerability fast enough), and 3) once in the final battle room. Early on the biggest challenge is actually ammo, I had to leave the first Cyberdemon unkilled.

Why are there two blue skull keys? One's after the AV/invuln room, the other is at the end of the trench in front of the three-key door. Also, was a bit surprised in the next room when only one switch lowered the bars to the BFG/next area, didn't need to push all 8 or 10 or whatever.

Magnusblitz said:

Gave it a whirl, not a bad design aesthetic. Played on UV and only died three times - 1) on the Arch-Vile after the Spider Mastermind, 2) in the Arch-Vile/Invuln room (didn't run to the invulnerability fast enough), and 3) once in the final battle room. Early on the biggest challenge is actually ammo, I had to leave the first Cyberdemon unkilled.

Why are there two blue skull keys? One's after the AV/invuln room, the other is at the end of the trench in front of the three-key door. Also, was a bit surprised in the next room when only one switch lowered the bars to the BFG/next area, didn't need to push all 8 or 10 or whatever.

Was the invulnerability thing too gimmicky?

The blue key by the door was for testing purposes.. I forgot to delete it.

I figured that one switch would be less tedious than having to press all 10 to lower those bars. Maybe I'll make it two switches in either of the middle cells.

How about this?

http://www.sendspace.com/file/ga82mp

map03, cc4-tex

-reworked the YK trap
-reduced cells and health in the caves and at the BFG
-added ambush when BK lowers

edit: didnt do anything about the arachnatrons in the beginning area, just consider them as decoration until next update :P

Rayzik said:

Was the invulnerability thing too gimmicky?

I don't want to say it was too gimmicky... but I think maybe having the invulnerability sit there by itself instead of rising up with the AVs would be better. The first time I walked in the room, I looked at the middle, didn't see anything, and turned to fight an arachnatron. All the AVs rose out of the ground and roasted me before I could get to the invuln (since I didn't even know it was there until after I was almost dead). The second time I knew it was there and was able to make sure I grabbed it before taking too much damage.

I would suggest making the invulnerability sphere visible and decreasing the monster count in the last area.

EDIT: To elaborate: I think that the sudden jump in difficulty at the end doesn't tie in well with the rest of the map. A possible solution would be to make it harder in earlier portions of the map.

here's an fda for Desecration: http://www.mediafire.com/?n270cicchdvh9ev

fun map, very pretty aesthetic, pretty easy but enjoyable traps. In that demo I wander around looking for the 1 enemy left, then I realized it was the cyb I let roam free in the previous area :p I read the post about invuls and AVs so I knew to run to the sphere when they appeared. One thing I really appreciate is you let the player scope out each area before they get filled with monster.

My only complaint is that cyb in the RK room, if you activate it after killing everything else you don't really have the ammo to take it down, unless you got the PG first. It's a petty complaint because it's probably really useful for infighting, and wouldn't be a problem had I done the other room first, but it was still kind of annoying.

You could probably remove about 1/4 of the cell ammo from the last 2 rooms and you would still have enough.

also neat, I like the sudden influx of maps :)

cannonball said:

I made a map (awaits very slow clap) - Wavebreaker
http://www.speedyshare.com/y3ex5/Wavebreaker.wad
Ammo should be ok, difficulty not sure about really. Should be beatable in a short space of time.
Lacks co-op starts/monsters, difficulty settings and probably needs extra detail.
Requires CC4-tex.wad

Having the teleport thing face towards the start was VERY annoying. VERY. Annoying. I understand there's a wall directly in front in the other direction, but then at least I wouldn't have to turn my mouse around completely if I want to go anywhere not directly to the front or to the mancs to the right from the start.

It's pretty decent I think otherwise, the start is a lot of trial and error but I think manageable once a route is down. I'd say it's more annoying to have the pain elementals and cacos out than the archvile and a couple extra revs, so the plasma gun is more appealing, but that's my own bias against PEs speaking. If that reflects a lot of peoples' opinions, you might want to swap what each switch lowers.

I'll play around with it a bit more, I just kept rushing to the blue key after a bit and haven't gotten farther.

E: I revise my earlier assessment of it being pretty decent and say it's hellishly annoying because of the randomness of infighting and two certain platforms - the first being the cyberdemons being basically level with the stairs down to the rockets so if you're not careful you'll eat a rocket to the face, which with all the imps ported in and the hell knights can make maneuvering almost as annoying as rush hour traffic; and then there's the arachnotrons in the midlevel stairs between the walls that lower revealing revs and the central platform. These can hit basically anywhere except for the manc platform to the right from start, and that is a pain in the ass. I will let someone more amenable to being blasted in the face by plasma from the next state over comment on this because I won't be playing it again until I can manage juggling 12 bowling pins at once.

FDA compilation