Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ribbiks

Slaughterfest 3 [Beta_C released, 05/08/2017]

I don't think 32 maps was ever a requirement for the SF wads, it's just that the first two years we had more than 32 submissions.

IMO, the number of maps doesn't matter, but the time limit does. GRB started SF11 as a month long mapping session that he wanted to do every summer. The "month long" part kinda went out the window, but I think the yearly part is still important and it's in the title.

Ideally all the mappers will have their maps finalized before the end of the year, but things happen and playtesting can be hard to come by etc. But I think SF12 lasted way too long. IMO, part of the "spirit" of SF is a collection of slaughter maps from a certain year.

Btw, here's final version of dholes with those sound blocking lines I mentioned a long time ago: dholes2.zip (no two-shotting in this one Demonologist :)

Well, that's the attitude I like. So, now it should be decided whether quality control takes place or not. If so - what should be omitted/redone/improved. Anyway, it's better to use the remaining time to fix various issues and start compiling. You guys don't want to make the same mistake as with sf12 timewise, do you?

I think nothing ommitted, no quality control aside from map breaking stuff. In other words decentralized anarchy. Its a community project & each mapper should be in complete control of their creation. If person A claims quality control authority over person Bs map, what's to say B can't claim the same for A? Really the vast majority of idgames just sits there idle after people play a release the first couple months, so just have fun. If something sucks in someone's opinion there's the next year's slaughterfest. It can actually be fun to discover bugs in maps and exploit them anyway. If a single person quality controls everything, then all the unique quirkiness of individual maps goes through a lens of sameness, it just takes a lot of time and all that pre-playtesting makes maps seem pre-solved and overpolished or something.

gggmork said:

I think nothing ommitted, no quality control aside from map breaking stuff. In other words decentralized anarchy. Its a community project & each mapper should be in complete control of their creation. If person A claims quality control authority over person Bs map, what's to say B can't claim the same for A? Really the vast majority of idgames just sits there idle after people play a release the first couple months, so just have fun. If something sucks in someone's opinion there's the next year's slaughterfest. It can actually be fun to discover bugs in maps and exploit them anyway. If a single person quality controls everything, then all the unique quirkiness of individual maps goes through a lens of sameness, it just takes a lot of time and all that pre-playtesting makes maps seem pre-solved and overpolished or something.

You're overanalysing. What if community project was never defined as a simple compilation of independent maps but instead as a product of compiled wad? That would make what you said essentially opposite of what community project should be like. Just like there is demanding of newstuff judging megawads as a whole, the same should apply to its creation, I suppose. Yeah, it can be fun discovering bugs just like it can be a torturous ordeal if a bug ruins every third demo attemp. Also, if a single person qualitycontrols everything, an awful map may become worth playing whatsoever, not that it has ever happenned in any sf anyway. Also, what exatly is wrong about polishing? Do you hate for example sunder because it's ultrapolished and because it's edgy doing so? Yeah, whatever.

darkdave asked for a dholes max so I played through it with saves to re-learn it, then managed an exit today. It was my first time not dying after jumping down into the big room where the red skull key is, so I was a bit nervous for the rest of the run.

Btw Ribbiks, you never updated the OP with dholes2 :)

dholes2 max 68:29

haha, i knew something like that would coming. look, i don't fucking care if you have the same opinion as me or not. i have my reasons why i hate this port, but i will not start a discussion with anyone about it. for sure not.

nice evening everyone,

djd

darkdave1985 said:

haha, i knew something like that would coming. look, i don't fucking care if you have the same opinion as me or not. i have my reasons why i hate this port, but i will not start a discussion with anyone about it. for sure not.

nice evening everyone,

djd

Well, if you don't want to start an argument, then don't post stupid crap like that. I wasn't even serious and I took for granted that everyone would know that it was a joke from my part (guess I was wrong though).

Oh, and for the record: This is a boom project, not a zdoom project.

omg,

to this general bacon rainbow guy. of course i know that this is a boom megawad. do you really think that i have not read the terms so far after all these months or what? of course i test this map, since a lot of months on zdoom and pr-boom plus because i'm not stupid. i have said zdoom is recommended, ok? which means, you can play it on zdoom too if you want so but nobody must. on zdoom it just looks and plays better, that's the reason why i said it but it also works of course on pr-boom plus. so don't make so much wind.

and to dannebubinga. oh, really this was a joke? how in the fuck should i know that? you have just written 2 words without a smiley or anything, ok? and then other people who absolutely don't know you, should understand that this was just a bad joke? phhh, yeah of course. and i have just written my own opinion back then. when you not able to accept other people's opinions, without a answer like this then stfu. thanks,

djd

I started a map. Could it be included if I finish it before x-mas?

About how many maps we should have: I think the yearly release is more important than the number of maps.

for sure. I'm also working on something (of a similar scale as sf12_30) that I have no idea if I'll be able to finish before the year is over, but will try anyways.

Will be cool to see new maps from you guys!

Pure Hellspawn: I'd add more monsters and sectors/lines to some of my maps in general, but my comp gets too slow in doom builder and while playing.

BTW, if someone wants to host SF14 at the start of January, say something or else I will start the thread.

Also BTW, Ribbiks there's no text file in the newest SF2012_final file at the mediafire link.

And again BTW, I updated the resource wad that's linked on the first page of this topic with the newest dehacked from SF12 (same link, just letting you know).

TimeOfDeath said:

Will be cool to see new maps from you guys!

Pure Hellspawn: I'd add more monsters and sectors/lines to some of my maps in general, but my comp gets too slow in doom builder and while playing.

Do you think splitting your maps into two will work and then have somebody merge them?

Your maps... so good... should have nominated you for MOTY reward tbh.

Pure Hellspawn: that's a good idea, assuming I could play the finished product. :)
And no worries, the cacowards are just a popularity contest between already popular good maps, like all other awards shows. Honestly I don't even read the threads.

GRB: what's this twist you speak of?

How about no 2014? You know, 3 is the charm. And 2013 doesn't seem even quarterway done anyway.

But two thousand and thirteen wads are a lot of wads, so why stop the tradition now? Also it looks like there are 29 maps submitted, so I don't understand "quarterway done".

TimeOfDeath said:

so why stop the tradition now?

I hate the word "tradition" with burning passion. Instead of doing something over and over, how about trying to do some improvement over something you want to do that has been done already?

TimeOfDeath said:

Also it looks like there are 29 maps submitted, so I don't understand "quarterway done".

Does submitted equal to done?

If SF14 starts, it doesn't mean SF13 will end. It's up to Ribbiks how long he wants to let people work on SF13 and when he wants to release it, whether in 2014 or 2015 or whenever. If you guys want to keep working on SF13 then by all means go for it.

I agree that improvement is a good thing and I think my SF13 maps are by far my best maps that I've submitted to SF along with degrassi. Not sure about everyone else, but when I submit a map I do consider it "done".

So if I start an SF14 thread, will you still come to my birthday party?

ToD: The twist is that we should make really only 2 possible skill levels, Easy and Hard, and each mapper would make UV so hard they cannot beat it. Of course someone eventually will be able to, but I've noticed nobody has really tried to make an "impossible" map. Might be something to try.

E: Perhaps this idea would be better suited to an SF2014 side project rather than the official yearly wad.

lol, that'd be funny. For me, I wouldn't want to make UV so that I couldn't beat it, but what about making easy or medium the impossible setting?