Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ribbiks

Slaughterfest 3 [Beta_C released, 05/08/2017]

yo ribbiks,

don't know why you not writing back to my pm. i hope you have read the last pm. there is a link for the latest version of my map.

djd

Still looking forward to playing this eventually. How's progress going on it? I see you have the full compliment of maps now..

Phml said:

Blagggmf v5

Thank you very much for it, Phml! Even better than before. We need more awesome Phml stuff in SF, really. The area behind the RK door plays entirely different now indeed.
About m02, not really topic-related since you aren't submitting it: liked it, feels somewhat raw but still enjoyable and fun. Here's FDA. Some issues in case you care: linedefs 4192-94 have missing texture; sectors 730, 736 and 739 are damaging even though they shouldn't be; and sectors 1119-1124 are incorrectly flagged as secret ones (the fact that made me scratch my head for a while).

hihi, update time? update time.

SF2013 maplist:

MAPNAME:                        TODO:
    --------                        -------

01: Resurrect Dead                  minor balancing (awaiting new version from GoS)
02: Firestarter
03: Pathogen                        MP starts, difficulties (to be done by Ribbiks)
04: Desecration                                                 
05: Evil Battlefield of Demons                                  
06: Wavebreaker                                                 
07: Rayzik's Slaughterday           should this be moved to bonus maps? 
08: The Farthest Reach                                          
09: Yonahe                                                      
10: Untitled                        Various edits, MP, difficulties (to be done by Ribbiks)
11: Broken Mind                                                 
12: 
13: Daiyu's Chamber
14: Shanghai Massacre
15: Trick or Cheat
16: Pacman                          fixes (awaiting new version from __Lagger__)
17: Fierce Attack
18: Castle of the Damned                                        
19:                                                         
20: Metastasizing Slaughterfest                                 
21: Meet a Bear                                                 
22: Mult                                                        
23: Poop                                                        
24: Joyless                                                     
25: Chaos Slaughter                 is Solarn done with this?       
26: Insane Trip Part I              should this be moved to bonus maps? 
27: Red Recluse                                                 
28: dHoles                                                      
29: Escaping the Spiral Labyrinth                               
30:                                                             
31: Butt                                                        
32: Three Lines                     difficulties (to be done by Ribbiks)

Bonus Maps:
-----------

Gut Buster                  
Temple Arena                        should I make some edits and re-include this map?
Aquafresh Crescents         
Assault on UAC Base 13      

Maps Not Yet Incorporated (either in progress, or recent additions):
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Blagggmf        (new Phml map, thinking slot 12)
Iron Fortress   (new Omnistar map, currently only for zdoom)
Gryndior        (map30 in progress by Ribbiks, too huge, I'll probably never finish this)
Untitled2       (another map in progress by Ribbiks, will probably finish)

Slaughterfest 2013, aka Slaughterfest 3: The Criminal Projective

@darkdave:

yes I got your maps, no worries. Also don't hesitate to simply post it to the thread like other submissions.

I liked Temple Arena. I think? Probably complained about height changes, but I do that for anything that isn't an endless flat field. It'd make for a cool early map, or quick respite between humongous later maps.

spurred by a j4's severe disapproval I revisited it and agreed it was a bit more frustrating than fun, unless played in a pretty specific way. My plan at the moment is to make it a little more friendly and consider putting it back in.

On a side note, I'm extremely interested in getting some outside opinions on the maps submitted thus far. Here's a betaR2 of the wad, with the above map order implemented:

SF2013_BetaR2

I've played through all the maps, and I know j4 has done a bunch, but any additional commentary on general bugfinding / quality control, is welcome.

I've played barely half from OP, got up to red recluse I think. That one was sort of ... hard. I'll try to force myself to play through the rest when I have some more time.

I liked Temple Arena, too, though I'm fine with it being reworked.

Was finally able to play Evil Battlefield of Demons, here's FDA if tatsurd's interested, plays back with beta posted above. Pretty easy overall, but towards the end I did something horribly wrong and almost got depleted and overrun. Still, somehow I survived and was able to retaliate. No real complaints, all of that is my own fault since I picked the wrong approach in handling the situation. Cool map.

So far I think that Rayzik's Slaughterday should go (i.e. moved to bonus maps) since it's pretty weak, and I think we'll get enough submissions in the near future to fill the gaps even without it.

Sweet, some more progress. I'll try and give a couple of these a run through.

Only noticed one thing so far which is that in Zandronum, Map 11 says that Line695 has no front sector, front side or front sidedef and won't load it.

Sorry about being so sporadic, I'm kind of drifting in and out of inspiration. Currently I'm playtesting and tweaking Chaos Slaughter. As far as I can tell, it has no serious bugs and every fight is beatable on every difficulty, but I'm not completely satisfied with the Vile room and the final battle.

Also, it still has no lighting.

Just went briefly sightseeing through the new beta, and I actually think this is the coolest slaughterfest yet. Great visuals on most maps, more consistent than sf2012, as weird as sf2011... if not weirder. I really like how the oddball maps (like the pacman map and timeofdeath's quake map) are now in the main running order, not secret or warp-only maps. I think that works better, especially with the pacman map, which is such a cool concept it deserves to be shown off.

Some snap judgements about maps:

MAP01 -- Sorry about the delay (again! hah) on this one. Right now I can't use the computer the current version of this map is on, and I wasn't too enthusiastic about the new stuff I'd done on that version anyway. Oh well.
MAP02 -- could use some improvement aesthetically tbh
MAP03 -- nice colour scheme, overall a nice looking map. not a huge fan of this thing where people put those 128-length IoS marble slabs everywhere though. There are other ways of breaking up long featureless walls.
MAP04 -- quite a nice layout I think. Gameplay seems quite well planned. I don't really like skinmetal textures because they make corners (and any other break in the texture) look unnatural.
MAP05 -- nice music choice. lovely detailing.
MAP06 -- Is this cannonball? I can't remember. Mostly a nice layout. Maybe a few too many bold colours. Bright blue, bright yellow, bright green, metal, brick, concrete, techwall, shawn...?
MAP07 -- Armoured blood? It's a nice map. A bit weird but it works.
MAP08 -- Mostly nice. A bit cluttered. Pillars with stronger horizontal lines than vertical. Is this Rayzik?
MAP09 -- ...Phml? Seems like a better looking version of one of the big expansive maps in Phmlspd. Can't really fault this map.
MAP10 -- Okay I remember this one, and it is Phml. Still quite straightforward, still fun, still a pretty solid inclusion.
MAP11 -- Nice and weird. Idk about reusing a track best known from Sunder though tbh.
MAP13 -- Too many bright colours. Gameplay seems okay.
MAP14 -- I wasn't sure who this was by until the flashing portraits. Again, I think there are too many bright colours. Some odd light levels too. The beginning seems like a Memfis map, but not as well planned.
MAP15 -- Seems okay. Not sure about the lighting. Some of the borders are a bit blocky.
MAP16 -- Excellent.
MAP17 -- Phml? Danne? I really like it, but I would need to give it more attention to get a proper idea of what the gameplay's like. It's pretty tough :)
MAP18 -- TimeOfDeath, obviously. Waaaay outside my tolerance for finicky cyberdemon battles, heh.
MAP20 -- I was thinking Cannonball, then I saw a portrait. Hmmm. The beginning isn't fun with berserk tint on my screen.
MAP21 -- I'm playing an orthogonal(ish) slaughtermap with cheesy nostalgic music and it was not made by me???? :)
MAP22 -- I already know this is gggmork but I think I would've got it anyway. Nice solid gameplay, if a bit chaotic.
MAP23 -- I actually think this should go somewhere in the post 33 map slots tbh. It plays well but the visuals are too unlike the other maps, it's pretty unflattering.
MAP24 -- I think I remember this being Dannebubinga. Seems nice and tough.
MAP25 -- Seems kinda weird. I'm not 100% sure how this is meant to be played.
MAP26 -- Nice and weird. Is this the map that supposedly requires zdoom? I don't see it.
MAP27 -- I thought Rayzik then I remembered it was Armoured Blood. There is probably no way I can play enough of this to get an accurate impression this evening.
MAP28 -- Time of death obviously, but even by his standards the little of this I saw looks pretty ridiculous. In a good way.
MAP29 -- Time of death again :)
MAP31 -- I would make a case for including this in the main map lineup tbh. It's weird but it sort of works I think.
MAP32 -- crashed

A few other things:

I don't really know why we're using a ripped Starcraft image as the titlepic though. I realize it's been around for a while, but I always thought it was a placeholder, and it seems pretty silly tbh.

Also, are we really using the default SKY2 and SKY3 from doom2?

Nice, good to hear some comments. Here's an authorlist for ya, since you seemingly made a game out of guessing :), you got most right.

01: Resurrect Dead                  GoS
02: Firestarter                     Cannonball
03: Pathogen                        Darkreaver
04: Desecration                     Rayzik
05: Evil Battlefield of Demons      Tatsurd
06: Wavebreaker                     Cannonball
07: Rayzik's Slaughterday           Cannonball
08: The Farthest Reach              Rayzik
09: Yonahe                          Phml
10: Untitled                        Phml
11: Broken Mind                     Archi
12: 
13: Daiyu's Chamber                 Daiyu
14: Shanghai Massacre               Daiyu
15: Trick or Cheat                  Lagger
16: Pacman                          Lagger
17: Fierce Attack                   Tatsurd
18: Castle of the Damned            ToD
19: 
20: Metastasizing Slaughterfest     Daiyu
21: Meet a Bear                     Danne
22: Mult                            ggg
23: Poop                            ggg
24: Joyless                         Danne
25: Chaos Slaughter                 Solarn
26: Insane Trip Part I              Darkdave
27: Red Recluse                     ArmouredBlood
28: dHoles                          ToD
29: Escaping the Spiral Labyrinth   ToD
30: 
31: Butt                            ggg
32: Three Lines                     Phml

Grain of Salt said:

MAP23 -- I actually think this should go somewhere in the post 33 map slots tbh. It plays well but the visuals are too unlike the other maps, it's pretty unflattering.

updating the visuals was on my todo list. I'll probably get around to giving it a try eventually -.-

MAP32 -- crashed

what port? works for me (prb+ 2.5.1.4)

I don't really know why we're using a ripped Starcraft image as the titlepic though. I realize it's been around for a while, but I always thought it was a placeholder, and it seems pretty silly tbh.

Lagger put it there awhile back for one of the earlier betas. I didn't mind it, but if you have a better idea? :D

Also, are we really using the default SKY2 and SKY3 from doom2?

nonono, but thanks for reminding me. Once I put the maps in order I meant to take a look through and try and pick out a sky that accommodates each episode. I know some maps handle that on their own with sky transfers. I put your sky as the E1 so that I didn't have to add tags to map01

also it's worth noting that map32 gets completely wrecked in zdoom, so I might move it to slot 33. (also it seems oddly fitting to have a map entitled "three lines" in that slot)

I can't make heads or tails of Three Lines, are some of the monsters supposed to be stuck on each other? It's such a wacky map I can't tell if that was the intention.

Ribbiks said:

updating the visuals was on my todo list. I'll probably get around to giving it a try eventually -.-

Okay, great. I'd offer to send you my old attempt at redecorating that map, but it's on the same inaccessible computer as resurrect dead. What did you think of moving the other gggmork map into the 01-30 section btw? The one that's currently 31.

what port? works for me (prb+ 2.5.1.4)

Eternity. I'm sure it works on a proper port, but eternity is what I have on this computer.

Lagger put it there awhile back for one of the earlier betas. I didn't mind it, but if you have a better idea? :D

Uh. I don't really have any ideas. I would suggest maybe a screenshot of one of the better maps (it's a fresh, original idea), but I don't have the ability to do it myself right now so it'd only be an idea.

I think maps 09, 27, 28 and 29 would make good candidates for titlepicification for the record. Especially 29.

nonono, but thanks for reminding me. Once I put the maps in order I meant to take a look through and try and pick out a sky that accommodates each episode. I know some maps handle that on their own with sky transfers. I put your sky as the E1 so that I didn't have to add tags to map01

Hey, we should use MAP29's blue sky as the episode three sky! It has a sort of gloominess that fits episode three, and it should work well with most of the episode three maps I think.

I would also suggest changing MAP28's sky to match it, because i'm a stickler for consistency, but I doubt time of death would want to change it tbh.

Hey Ribbiks, thanks for considering my map. Although I'm not real fond of Prboom so I'll have to get familiar with that. But the map should have difficulty settings already set and should be able to pass it without jumping/crawling.

I can't make heads or tails of Three Lines, are some of the monsters supposed to be stuck on each other?

Yep. They're essentially acting as destructible walls.

Didn't expect such kindness from GoS... 'Weird' in this case has pretty much negative meaning for me, making 'weird' map in a good meaning of the word is an art in itself that rarely gets perceived wel enough.

Okay, some blathering since Ribbiks was asking for opinions:
- I'm for moving Insane Trip to bonus maps. It didn't do it for me, not at all, just a rectangular room filled with monsters.
- I strongly advise not to move Butt to non-secret slot, it's too unconventional to be in the main streamline. I'd actually say the same about Castle Of The Damned, but since all the secret slots are taken...
- ...Three Lines is not the map I really like or appreciate, it was clever in 100 lines thread back in the day, but as a map on its own it's really weak and strange. Thus, its removal may have Castle Of The damned moved into its place where it'd have been more appropriate.
- I strongly dislike Lagger's maps here. Experimental and gimmicky as all hell. Do you really think that SF needs maps where you race against timer or try to evade monsters in silly patterns and in ludicrous circumstances?.. I don't think so.
- I'm for inclusion of reworked Temple Arena, seems like a good map07 to me, for example (Rayzik's Slaughterday should go as I said earlier).

So, here we are. No offence meant, no aggression hidden, just my opinions on points of uncertainty. Waiting for what others might say.

P.S. And one more thing - I remember that I was defending bonus wad conception in sf12 thread, but nowadays I changed my attitude towards the opposite. To put it straight - I'd prefer the choice of either main wad or complete rejection, without any 'extra' wads, bonus maps etc. I see that Ribbiks is against such 'radical' measures, so I think this should be dicsussed as well. What do you think?

Demonologist said:

P.S. And one more thing - I remember that I was defending bonus wad conception in sf12 thread, but nowadays I changed my attitude towards the opposite. To put it straight - I'd prefer the choice of either main wad or complete rejection, without any 'extra' wads, bonus maps etc. I see that Ribbiks is against such 'radical' measures, so I think this should be dicsussed as well. What do you think?

Do you think there is any extra wad of rejects from sf12 in existence? None could be bothered getting together a heap of bad maps.

Grain of Salt said:

MAP11 -- Nice and weird. Idk about reusing a track best known from Sunder though tbh.

Is it taboo to reuse track from Hellcore 2.0?

Demonologist said:

- I'm for moving Insane Trip to bonus maps. It didn't do it for me, not at all, just a rectangular room filled with monsters.

I would agree, but it's not like we're inundated with good maps to replace it. If we get a lot more maps, Insane Trip is definitely one I'd consider moving to the warp-only map slots.

- I strongly advise not to move Butt to non-secret slot, it's too unconventional to be in the main streamline. I'd actually say the same about Castle Of The Damned, but since all the secret slots are taken...

I do like that map, and I can see a place for it in the main lineup (somewhere in the late 20s, where its striking weirdness theoretically adds to the mounting tension of the final maps) but I won't make a big deal out of it. If other people don't think its appropriate, it would work just as well as a secret or bonus map probably.

- I strongly dislike Lagger's maps here. Experimental and gimmicky as all hell. Do you really think that SF needs maps where you race against timer or try to evade monsters in silly patterns and in ludicrous circumstances?.. I don't think so.

You don't like Pacman????? :( I think Pacman is probably the most interesting map submitted to sf2013. I realize it's not for everyone, but even so I think it adds some much-needed variety to the wad, and it does it without being really out-and-out bizarre and unlike everything else, like some of the other maps.

"Do you really think that SF needs maps where you ... try to evade monsters in silly patterns and in ludicrous circumstances?" Um... yes?

I don't know about timers tbh. That's a whole different kettle of fish. Maybe the sort of thing that makes a map more suitable for going into the 31/32 slots.

- I'm for inclusion of reworked Temple Arena, seems like a good map07 to me, for example (Rayzik's Slaughterday should go as I said earlier).

I liked Temple Arena, yeah, but I didn't think the layout lent itself to particularly great gameplay. If it was reworked, what would be done with it? Could it be made a little less open and given new areas? It'd be nice to include a map with visuals as nice as TA, but I think as it stands Slaughterday has slightly better gameplay (despite also being quite short and "flat", gameplay-wise, in hindsight).

I agree, for what it's worth. Down with reject wads.

Archi said:

Is it taboo to reuse track from Hellcore 2.0?

Oh is that where it was from before Sunder? For some reason I thought no one knew where it was from, but rechecking the sunder thread I see the only unidentified track is the intermission theme.

Okay I'm going through all maps and leave some quick notes about stuff I notice.

Map 1
- found some camping spot behind crates (sector 278)
- needs cg at start (!)
- ssg at exit is stupid, changing it for BFG would make some more sense (or not having any ssg prior to the one at exit, although that would require some testing)

Map 2
- lift at start should ascend rather than descend, or at least descend much faster
- there should be no ceiling on both siderooms, so you can actually see those viles and sarges
- sarges teleport in too slowly
- secrets are overly generous, their content could be placed onto cyber's platform and something less generous into actual secrets
- the last room is... eh...
- the midi is rather irritating, but w/e

Map 3
- ... nothing

Map 4
- overly generous ammo all around, especially in RK squarish room with 4 cell packs which really shouldn't be there
- lines 1982, 1981, 1953, 1760 should be set to block monsters
- first secret (sector 115) is entirely unobvious and for some reason the teleporter in it (sector 173) is damaging floor
- vile (thing 524) could teleport in after pressing switch in that room (line 2595)
- second secret (sector 213) has a rather questionable content
- BFG for last fight is unnecessary, I'd not keep it there in UV difficulty

Map 5
- the vile load teleporting onto central pillar is completely unnecessary
- caco load teleporting in is hindered by blocking lines on the above mentioned pillar
- I'm not fan of room with sector 52, it just forces uninteresting camping - I'd employ the space which is currently void between those two corridors leading to it to open up when you enter this room (with lines 317 and 325)
- the relative friendlyness of traps overall make me think it should be after map 4 and before map 3, if that makes any sense (current mapslot is 1-2-3-4-5, my proposed is 1-2-4-5-3)

Map 6
- not a huge fan of the whole layout... I think allowing multiple interconnections would add a lot more to it, which also relates to next point
- those pits with water texture should be damaging, otherwise they encourage wimpy camping
- thumbs up for (probably unintended) speedrun shortcut

Map 7
- a simplistic idea, which has been done numerous times before, but pulled out not too badly nonetheless... lacks something original, I think

Map 8
- uh, map 8? really? the map is harder than some 2X maps of sf12
- a lot of instances where infitelytalliness does annoyances (HKs in sector 151, jumping down from sector 29 onto freshly revealed barons, juping from sector 242 onto ground level may be impossible due to monsters coupling on the lower level), needs to deploy some blocklines
- I really don't think line 159 should activate the lift
- BK fight with those 4 viles and little cover is bollocks
- monster teleporting before lift to RK room (onto sectors 156, 157) take waaay too long to teleport in, needs at least 2-4 more teleporting destinations to speed it up
- spiders teleporting onto sector 176 can barely move away from teleporting destination so the first which ports in just blocks the rest from teleporting in
- things 854, 855 and 856 could really be something other than barons
- not sure about the point of that "trap" with HKs before YK (sector 526), I'd at least put chainers onto sector 520
- you can pick secret soulsphere in first room through the column which lowers it

Map 9
- notably easier than map 8 but still something that should be reserved for 10+ mapslots

Map 10
- nothing much, liked it as it is, although the ending is probably a little too easy compared to preceeding fights

Wow, j4 took shit seriously. Nice.

j4rio said:

Do you think there is any extra wad of rejects from sf12 in existence? None could be bothered getting together a heap of bad maps.

I never said there was one. As you might remember, it was intended to be made, and I was supporting such intention. But nowadays I'm happy it didn't end up being made. And now I'm for not making something like that in here, either. It's "make a decent map that deserves to be put into the main wad or die trying".
...Also, I'm with you on map08's placement within wad and BK battle.

Grain of Salt said:

I would agree, but it's not like we're inundated with good maps to replace it. If we get a lot more maps, Insane Trip is definitely one I'd consider moving to the warp-only map slots.

All is in your (or should I say - our) hands, just sit down and make a good map, dammit. And by the way - it wouldn't hurt to see another map with tasteful usage of Quake textures, though more expansive and with more... contained gameplay. I'll try to whip up something in a couple of upcoming months to poison this little project with its very presence (thinking about ripping the texture scheme from The Ebon Fortress/Wizard's Manse/Azure Agony, I really dig this style, and seeing that I used only small bits of it earlier and can't recall it being used in other Doom maps - it's largely unexplored even still), so now I offer you to do the same. Yep?

Grain of Salt said:

You don't like Pacman????? :( I think Pacman is probably the most interesting map submitted to sf2013. I realize it's not for everyone, but even so I think it adds some much-needed variety to the wad, and it does it without being really out-and-out bizarre and unlike everything else, like some of the other maps.

I can stand strange visuals as long as they don't make my eyes bleed, but strange gameplay always makes me feel highly skeptical. There's no need in experiments and strange approaches to make a map fun, even generic setups can be great if orchestrated properly.

Grain of Salt said:

Maybe the sort of thing that makes a map more suitable for going into the 31/32 slots.

Absolutely. But as you can see - there's quite a bunch of maps already that are suitable for going into secret slots.
About m07 - I don't know, it's just about running in a circle directing cyb rockets into clusters of enemies in a small map that pretty much contains nothing else but this circle. I don't think this project is craving for maps that much.

j4rio said:

- found some camping spot behind crates (sector 278)

OK I will go look at that (pending file transfer stuff)

- needs cg at start (!)

Well... something like that :0)

- ssg at exit is stupid, changing it for BFG would make some more sense (or not having any ssg prior to the one at exit, although that would require some testing)

IIRC it's only there in case you take a really fast route that skips the other SSGs. My current version of the map does indeed have a BFG at the end area, but the fights there are (hopefully) going to change a lot anyway.

Might make a nice MAP20?

Demonologist said:

All is in your (or should I say - our) hands, just sit down and make a good map, dammit.

tbh, if I made a new sf map I would probably submit it to sf2014 :/

(thinking about ripping the texture scheme from The Ebon Fortress/Wizard's Manse/Azure Agony, I really dig this style, and seeing that I used only small bits of it earlier and can't recall it being used in other Doom maps - it's largely unexplored even still)

Go for it.

so now I offer you to do the same. Yep?

The seers are uncertain :|

I can stand strange visuals as long as they don't make my eyes bleed, but strange gameplay always makes me feel highly skeptical.

I feel exactly the opposite. Well... actually i like both strange visuals and strange gameplay, as long as they're done well.

Absolutely. But as you can see - there's quite a bunch of maps already that are suitable for going into secret slots.
About m07 - I don't know, it's just about running in a circle directing cyb rockets into clusters of enemies in a small map that pretty much contains nothing else but this circle. I don't think this project is craving for maps that much.

My appreciation for map 07 has kinda worn off since writing about it. I kinda agree that it should probably be a bonus map.

j4rio said:

are we playing the same map? I just went through that one again, overall I think it's very easy, the only exception being the BK room, which took me a couple tries to figure out a good tactic. You can play slowly and doing encounters one at a time is very doable, health and ammo are in excess in nearly every room. Of course if there's consensus that the map should be moved back I'll certainly do it though.

On my recent playthrough I managed to break the YK room, I remember previously something triggered a mass tele of like 300 enemies, but this time it didn't happen, did a dummy sector get broken, or maybe I managed to skip a crucial linedef somewhere? Here was my situation right as I was about to exit the map:

are we playing the same map?

Maybe, I've never played it before and basically FDAed it, it felt like a huge jump in difficulty when compared to previous maps.

If I recall, the blagmf map was rather easier when it had a thread dedicated to it back then. I believe that one would fit to 8 rather than current 8, unless it went through notable changes.

Grain of Salt said:

tbh, if I made a new sf map I would probably submit it to sf2014

Well, here you go. Everything is interwined now, this project covers both 2013 and 2014.

j4rio said:

If I recall, the blagmf map was rather easier when it had a thread dedicated to it back then. I believe that one would fit to 8 rather than current 8, unless it went through notable changes.

It did in some places, but they hardly change the whole picture. Agreed about the slot.

Daiyu's maps are quite a clash of colors and themes, and those portraits... Well, Daiyu's Chamber and Metastasizing Slaughterfest are actually good enough gameplay-wise to compensate for their LSD-driven nature (though it almost makes my eyes bleed), but sadly I can't say the same about Shanghai Massacre. It's really boring, I can even hardly call it a slaughtermap. More like Hellbound-style, if you know what I mean. This map needs some serious gameplay overhauls, weak action combined with crazy visuals make it pretty repulsive.
And what the heck is wrong with the red key? Dropping down to it and seeing no way out? Unacceptable.

I apologise if this was said somewhere in the thread, but which map will hold the map 30 slot?

I like map08, although the design can make for wide difficulty changes based on your approach (which might explain why j4rio and Ribbiks had such different experiences?).

For example, if you don't grab the berserk pack, you get those perfectly even level windows making for an ideal camping position, with every monster from the yellow key room gathering on north and letting you shoot everything with rockets from the south. Whereas if you did pick the berserk pack, the floor would be raised and everything would move towards you.

Another similar thing: the fight for the red key can be pretty tough. Or... you could just drop down the blood fall behind the megasphere, and let everything infight to death, activating the lift you came from again and again to slowly clear things up yourself.

Then there's situations where height changes and walls just seem to conspire to make monsters useless. Right at the start, you grab the BFG, and if you don't drop down you can just wait for cacos to reach you while everything else is stuck at ground level.

The BK fight is seemingly the only one that can't be cheesed, and it is all the better for that.

Also a minor pet peeve: the walls in the 4 HKs room take way too long to lower. I suppose it's balanced around the idea of taking them down with the SSG; but if you use the BFG or even just the RL, you're going to be standing there twiddling your thumbs for a while.

re: YK room breaking, it seems like the important trigger is linedef 3941, which is perpendicular to this straight, long corridor. Ditto with the TP to the 4 HKs room. sr40ing through this corridor, I tend to break one or the other. Both should be made diagonal, and perhaps put a little further apart from each other (idk if the latter matters).

FTW395 said:

I apologise if this was said somewhere in the thread, but which map will hold the map 30 slot?

it's a mystery! currently we don't really have a submission that I think is both suitable for the final slot, and geared for it (aka no monster teles).

Phml said:

re: YK room breaking, it seems like the important trigger is linedef 3941, which is perpendicular to this straight, long corridor.

ahh, faux pas!