Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Memfis

Putting action linedefs in the moving sectors

If I select "Floor lower to lowest floor" for that green line, it works just fine. But if I select "Floor lower to 8 above highest floor", it doesn't do anything. If I then place it somewhere outside of the left sector, it works again.

I remember having similar problems with doors. There was a door with an action linedef inside and it wouldn't open for some reason.

Is there some general rule about which action linedefs prevent sectors from moving and which don't?

I just tried:
w1 floor lower to HIGHEST (you wrote lowest on accident?) floor
works, and
w1 floor lower to 8 above highest floor
also works.

Do you have one of those sectors joined with some other sector that is affecting its neighbors? Are they walk over, not s1 etc?

In boom you can't press use across an action line that is in the way as far as I know. so if you have like a walk over line right in front of a door, that might prevent you from pressing use on the door.

I probably should clarify that I'm talking about vanilla/complevel 2.

gggmork said:

(you wrote lowest on accident?)

no
Here is two wads, in act_test the floor doesn't move, in act_test2 it does. (again, -complevel 2)

That is kinda weird.
In your pic, I think you meant the LEFT sector has tag 1.

If everything is same as pic (with trigger line in left square), except:
right sector floor is higher and triggered to lower to 8 above left, it works

but for the opposite situation (with trigger line still in left square):
left sector floor is higher and triggered to lower to 8 above right, it doesn't work.

so yeah, I guess whether the trigger line is inside the sector is somehow affecting whether it works.

gggmork said:

In your pic, I think you meant the LEFT sector has tag 1.

Oops, yeah. Fixed, sorry for the confusion.

Unfortunately when doing lower to highest in doom2.exe complevel, if the tagged sector has any self referencing linedefs - i.e. both sidedefs refer to the tagged sector - it confuses the engine into thinking the sector is adjacent to itself, so it won't descend any further than its current floor height.

Obviously, they fixed this in Boom. (See P_FindHighestFloorSurrounding and getNextSector. Specifically, in Doom, getNextSector returns the back sector of the line in question without checking if it is the same as the front sector.)

I see, thanks. Here is a demonstration of a similar bug with doors - doortest1. When you try to open the door it looks like its ceiling moves below its floor. (so I guess something like P_FindHighestCeilingSurrounding is bugged too?)

Memfis said:

When you try to open the door it looks like its ceiling moves below its floor. (so I guess something like P_FindHighestCeilingSurrounding is bugged too?)

Yes, exactly. Well, it's P_FindLowestCeilingSurrounding but apart from that you're on the money ;-) They both use the same helper function (getNextSector) which has the compatibility bug emulation (controlled by the setting of comp_model)

code reference, for the terminally curious