Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
45th Parrallel

Doomworld Team map making project

sgt dopey said:

Yeah its still going. And I've removed the deadline, so drop in your maps whenever you feel like it

That's awesome news! I'll contact my partner about posting a link, since he has the map right now.

This post had a link to Map01, which I accidentally deleted from Mediafire. I'm making a new post with a new Mediafire link.

Guest DILDOMASTER666

Is it too late for me to sign up?

Fisk said:

Is it too late for me to sign up?

I don't want to step on Sgt's toes but if you can find a partner (coin toss between Marnetmar and Joe Ilya?) I would say you're good as we're nowhere near filling the slots and it's recently been announced that there's no deadline.

Map quick though :-)

@sgt dopey - Are we going to release this episode by episode, or do you want the whole megawad finished before release?

I am still here and surprisingly still have the map me/Glenzinho/Phobus was working on so I'm happy to join up with anyone to finish this map off.
I'm taking a slight break from mapping as I'm doing a demopack for 300 lines but I can spare an hour or 2 to get the map I have WIP over the finish line.

Oh yeah... I forgot I'd signed up to this. Then again, back then I'd signed up to basically everything and then proceeded to let each and every project down. I'll not make that mistake this time and stay "unsigned". Sorry cannonball - the map looked like it was off to a reasonable start, IMO.

cannonball said:

I'm taking a slight break from mapping as I'm doing a demopack for 300 lines but I can spare an hour or 2 to get the map I have WIP over the finish line.

If no one else steps up, I might take a crack at it. I know that Marnetmar, Joe-Ilya and Fisk were interested in joining this project, so I'd like to give them first crack. I'm already drowned in projects, with Abcess (6 maps) almost ready for beta, and Realm of Intensified Chaos (6 maps) going pretty well, with 4.5 maps revised thus far. So here's hoping someone wants to jump right in!

joe-ilya said:

Do you want me to map with you , or what?

You guys have not been added to the mapper's list, and thus, you don't have a slot to map for. But cannonball has a map and needs a partner for his slot. Give him a shout-out. :)

The sky in the final room is one big HOM in prboom+. Way to ruin the last impression. :) The whole cyberdemon chase scene was done extremely well, good job on that. Here is a demo of me playing the map.

Memfis said:

The sky in the final room is one big HOM in prboom+. Way to ruin the last impression. :) The whole cyberdemon chase scene was done extremely well, good job on that. Here is a demo of me playing the map.

Thanks for the play and the demo, Memfis! The HOM -- that's what we get for not playtesting in software mode. ;D I saw it now in ZDoom. I also saw another visual flaw where a metal upper texture hangs in the sky above the left-hand island in the middle cavern. I can't see the texture on any of the lines, and I also rebuilt the sector to get rid of it, but clipping up on the island shows a sort of hole where the taller section connects to the first platform. Maybe a nodebuilding error?

We'll work on the problems. Thanks again!

Edit: I fixed the hanging texture problem. It was a Rock16, and I made it go away by merging a bunch of sectors and then building a new sector in front of the taller island section. I'm guessing there was some area in there that had the old info from the floor-level before the skylight was made, or something crazy like that. I guess the new sector ate it. ;D

Memfis said:

The whole cyberdemon chase scene was done extremely well, good job on that. Here is a demo of me playing the map.

I'm glad you liked the cyberdemon section, it was kind of the map signature so Steve and I were keen to get it right. It's a shame you killed it when you did though, the map sets up a more elegant solution a little further on...

This post linked to a previous version of Map01 and is now obsolete. See my post below for updated link.

SteveD said:
OK, we have the fixed version of Map01 up. One HOM and one hanging texture eliminated!

Indeed nice running from cybie. Unlike Memfis, I disposed him too early, so later had a bad time with revs. I spend on them all ammo and finished by punching. So several imps on some ledge stayed alive. FDA in 30:15 min. (Hope Steve knows about changing the speed of demo playback in prboom+)

Hitherto said:

Indeed nice running from cybie. Unlike Memfis, I disposed him too early, so later had a bad time with revs. I spend on them all ammo and finished by punching. So several imps on some ledge stayed alive. FDA in 30:15 min. (Hope Steve knows about changing the speed of demo playback in prboom+)

Actually, I do not know about changing demo speed in PRBoom+, but that's not surprising, since there is a lot about modern Doom that I don't know. ;D

Thanks a ton for your FDA. You played it differently than anyone I've seen, and that revealed a couple more problems. First, you couldn't get back to the start to grab the Soulsphere you were saving. I've discussed this issue with purist, so it's going to get fixed.

I was impressed that you were able to kill the Cyb before even going through the gates to The Big Stone Steps Arena. This is my fault, because it shouldn't happen. The whole idea of the Cyberdemon Steeple Chase belongs to purist, but in the cavern section I placed a lot of monsters and began to worry about players achieving UV-Max, since so many of the monsters were up high and there were not a lot of hitscanners on the ground to get ammo from, so I placed a shell box outside the entrance to the caverns and another one up high where you can get the 2 Medikits. I also put in the secret SSG, so that made for a lot of firepower. I've already altered the ammo balance and will soon do a God Mode ammo-test to see if it works out.

Thanks again, Hitherto!

I finally got off my ass and, after discussing things with purist, fixed a few things that were shown in Hitherto's demo. Specifically, it's now possible to return to the start after you reach the big outdoor area, a few misalignments were fixed, a few texture changes were made, and the ammo was adjusted.

Here's the latest version of Map01, and remember, it requires cc4-tex.wad

http://www.mediafire.com/download/scr4lkziinitcrh/dwprojectAGX.wad