Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Springy

What's happening to Blasphemer?

Cool to see Blasphemer rolling again, it's one of my favorite games. :)

Sorry I should've mentioned that a little progress is being made. Blox is also working on extending the palette as well at the moment. Also, I like the sky for now as I mentioned before also the other skies look pretty good as well.

Just so you guys know I have contacted the rest of the team they seem to be busy but are willing to still commit to the project when they have free time.

I had a project from a few years ago where I created a handful of maps for Heretic. The maps were originally created with a modified form of the OBLIGE random map generator, but I extensively modified them by hand to the point that they don't feel like randomly made maps any more.

I also converted a FreeDoom deathmatch map in to a Heretic deathmatch map. Personally, my experience is that it will probably be easier to get the community to make and/or donate deathmatch maps more than single player maps.

For the record, the maps I will donate are both single player and deathmatch maps; they may be playable as co-op maps, but some of the maps, when played as co-op, will have teleports in places that will spoil getting keys and what not. The reason is because vanilla Heretic doesn't have the ability to say "make this teleport/object/whatever available in Deathmatch maps, but *not* in coop maps".

Da Werecat said:

I think mountains need more contrast. Also, the overall image would clearly benefit from some color work.

Yeah, will try to improve that one. Still getting accustomed to a new terrain generator and this new palette. I've submitted another one now which came out better:

Though donating the HYMN project maps are a good starting point, I think (and I'm sure others would agree) that dedicating an organized mapping community around this project would be best (while keeping already submitted maps on board). I am willing to lead that part of the project. At the least, I will be able to submit a few maps, and I would also be interested in helping organize textures, sprites, and other resources, bug testing, play testing, etc. Scripting though? Not so much.

Egregor said:

Scripting though? Not so much.

Not much scripting involved, unless you want to experiment with HHE patches or maintain TEXTURE* and Wadinfo files for DeuTex.

Definitely like the second sky pic. I'd cut out those dark blue pixels that are peppered across right above the mountains. They'll stick out like a sore thumb when they're projected across half of the player's POV. The rest is looking good though.

I just downloaded the most recent version of Blasphemer over at https://code.google.com/p/blasphemer/ and here is its status:

* Textures: Complete. It looks like they made free versions of all of the textures, including the sky textures.

* Item sprites: Mostly complete. The only item sprite that was obviously missing was the ammo for the Phoenix Rod.

* Maps: Sparse. There are only four single player maps (E1M1/Placeholder, E1M3, E1M7, E2M1) and four deathmatch maps (E4M1, E4M2, E4M3, and E4M4).

* Monster sprites: Almost none. The only non-placeholder sprite appears to be a version of the Disciples of D'Sparil.

In terms of maps, I have five single player/deathmatch (but not really coop) and two deathmatch-only maps that I am able and willing to donate to this project right now: http://samiam.org/obhack/blasphemer-donate.zip (E1M1, E1M2, E1M7, E1M8, and E1M9 are SP/Deathmatch; E1M3 and E1M4 are Deathmatch-only). All of the maps are compatible with all known versions of Heretic, including DOS Heretic, and I donate all these maps, except E1M4 (a conversion of a Freedoom DM map) to the public domain.

With my donation, Blasphemer has nine single player maps and six (five if Freedoom's license is not Blasphemer-compatible) deathmatch only maps. That's enough to make a fully playable single-player game and have a few DM maps in either E2 or E4.

In terms of sprites, the quickest way to get a playable single-player game would be to pull some sprites from Freedoom or another Doom total conversion with open licensing terms and make them Blasphemer monster sprites.

I wish I had the time to oversee having something out there that is fully playable, but, alas, my plate is full right now.

I'm pretty sure Freedoom and Blasphemer uses the same license (Modified BSD) so your E1M4 should be OK.

I thought it strange that there's wasn't one already, heh. Never mind, may as well keep using the existing openarena one then. Have registered an account there.