Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cire

Problem with Hexen Demo 1.1 in source ports.

Today when I discovered that the Mac Hexen Demo contains a different, newer IWAD, I tried to play it with a few different source ports. To my surprise, none of the ZDoom-based source ports seem to handle it properly. ZDoom and Zandronum doesn't recognize it and fails to start it and GZDoom and Tower of Babel starts it up but crashes when starting the first level. Chocolate Doom v2 svn binary crashes upon starting. Vavoom seem to work though. Any ideas?

I wouldn't expect the demo IWAD to work with most source ports. Have you tried the IWAD from the normal demo to see if it's any different?

Yeah, the normal demo IWAD works fine. Is there any reason why not many source ports support the newer demo? Maybe because it's more uncommon? What's the difference between them anyway? The Mac Demo IWAD is quite a bit bigger.

Where did you find that Mac demo?

There might be many reasons why it doesn't work right, but without the file I cannot guess.

WAD got errors in a fair bit of the lumpnames. In map01 and 04's lumps specially.

Also, at the end of the file there are a few resources that seem to have been sized up and ran through a hx4 or whatever filter.

Weird. Is that the reason why it's bigger than the normal demo? Also, does anyone know if the Mac Doom Demo IWAD is any different to the normal Doom Shareware versions?

Many lumps are "marked" like in Jaguar Doom with the upper bit set on the first byte of their name. This explains why it's glitchy. In Jaguar/PSX/etc. Doom, this was used to tell that the lump was compressed with LZ77, however here this isn't the case.

I was probing around with the console ports of Hexen and noticed that as well (I believe this was in the N64 port). I wonder if the Mac port is based off of that? I would try the Mac version myself, but my Performa isn't hooked up to the network at the moment.