Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
MarkAnthony89

What about Eternal Doom IV?

Hey! Did somebody noticed that teamTNT home page is "dead"? No more updates since 2008! And what about Eternal DOOM IV: Return from Oblivion? Will it ever be released or did teamTNT stop working on it?

Imagine how many hours of gameplay would have the 32-map megawad (Eternal 4) once the demo (7 maps) is about 10-12 hours? It would certainly be the most long megawad in the history of doom! :D

What do you guys think? Is teamTNT still working on the project in secret? If Eternal 4 has been canceled then teamTNT would probably warn their fans wouldn't they?

MarkAnthony89 said:

What do you guys think? Is teamTNT still working on the project in secret? If Eternal 4 has been canceled then teamTNT would probably warn their fans wouldn't they?

I don't know if TNT exists in any meaningful fashion. Though I did see Cadman sneaking around recently.

Eternal Doom-style maps are pretty niche nowadays, unfortunately for those who enjoy them (myself included). Eternal was working on a tribute project but cancelled it due to lack of interest. I know there are some authors who enjoy making that sort of stuff (like valkiriforce) but switch hunt hamster wheels are usually detested by the community. I would personally love to see Eternal Doom V, though.

ED4RFO got a Cacoward, which is something not given to demos or betas unless it is expected the full version will never actually happen.

From the ED4RFO mapping team, it seems only ReX ClausseN is still active; but he's working on a dozen or so personal projects. Espi is unfortunately no longer among us.

Gez said:

ReX ClausseN is still active; but he's working on a dozen or so personal projects. Espi is unfortunately no longer among us.

COOL!!! I didn't know ReX ClausseN and Espi are or were members of teamTNT, that's a surprise for me! Well it looks like teamTNT has vanished, that's alright but leaving their homepage "dead" and inactive didn't help me coming to this conclusion. 4 years waiting for nothing! :(

BTW and out of curiosity, if Eternal 4 was left by its team, any author(s) could pick it and finish it (or even make a sequel), right? Or would he/she/they have to get permission?

Of course you'd need permission. Unless you were just making extra levels that worked alongside it without containing any of its resources or maps (i.e. both wads needed on the command-line). And even then you'd want to make it clear by calling it something like "unofficial add-on".

This project is long dead, that's for sure. And by the way - its length was achieved mainly by constant monster spawning. Quite ridiculous approach as I see it, you enter level which contains about 100-150 monsters, and when you finish it - the real body count comes to hundreds, 600-800 being killed. No certainty at all. If the whole thing whould've been made in such fashion - it would've been perfect time stealer and a way to waste your life on nothing, heh...

Work had begun on the first 7 maps in the series (the demo began with Map08, went through Map13, then jumped to Map27). In keeping with a semblance of a story-line, the first 7 maps were set in space (e.g., a space station), after which the player is sent to explore the mysterious events that ensue starting in Map08. Espi had actually started work on Map28, which was to be a continuation of Map 27, at the end of which the player jumps into a seemingly bottomless pit.

Some snow-themed maps had been planned. A couple of mappers had joined the team, but personal commitments and health problems prevented them from making progress. One of the key mappers, Chris Couleur, has a schedule that only permits DooM-related activities a few months in the year. Ty Halderman, the head honcho, has moved away from DooM. As a result, only marginal progress was made after the demo. The plans for more maps are not entirely dead, and may surface if a few of the core members come together. Who knows? 2013 may breathe some life into this seemingly dead project.

ReX said:

Who knows? 2013 may breathe some life into this seemingly dead project.

Really? :O

So after all there's still hope for the full version of Eternal 4, that's amazing. Well I know you're not promising that the project will restart and I know that may also never happen but at least there's still a probability, that's amazing to me! (and ed4 fans) :D

I for one would love to see a sequel to ED4 (a full version that is). I remember so long ago, when I had (at long last) finally gotten a computer (again). First thing I did was turn on doom and see what new wads were out there. THERE WERE TONS. But the one that always stands out (nostalgically) from that period of my Doom life is ED3.

Yeah, full-length sequel would be very welcome and appreciated (and I dare say, a very probable cacoward).

Due to the amount of time it took to put out the first few levels, and considering some of the real life setbacks of the project, at this point I can't see there being a full 32 level version of Eternal Doom 4.

However, the 7 levels of the demo, while very satisfying (except for the very annoying re-spawning monsters) felt like bits and pieces of a bigger project, and I couldn't help but still want more.

If the space themed first 7 levels and other ideas (snow levels!?!) have been thought out that much, I could see this being at least made into a slightly more complete version of what might have been.

It is a shame though as I have quite a lot of sentimental attachment to the eternal series as it was the first fan-made group of wads I ever played (excluding final doom), so to see it mostly abandoned is a little disappointing.

pizzabob18 said:

If the space themed first 7 levels and other ideas (snow levels!?!) have been thought out that much, I could see this being at least made into a slightly more complete version of what might have been.

I wouldn't complain, at all, if that happened. All of my favorite wads are less than 32 levels. I love those fun, shorter "episodes" that still feel complete.

Plus, snowy maps? Hell yes! I love the red on white contrast :P

pizzabob18 said:

Due to the amount of time it took to put out the first few levels, and considering some of the real life setbacks of the project, at this point I can't see there being a full 32 level version of Eternal Doom 4.

You're probably right.

pizzabob18 said:

I had volunteered to tackle all the space-themed maps, and had developed a general map/hub design. I had also volunteered for 2 or 3 snow-themed maps. Other things got in the way, and I can't see myself rebooting my work for several more months (unless other members jump in and take over other functions as well). As I haven't done space maps in many years, I may be inclined to work on that hub, but, again, it won't be for a while.

Could be a community project in the future. Its a shame when anything doesnt get completed, especially something like this