• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
gggmork

hollow cacosphere

(for zdoom; uses acs)

EDIT:
hollow cacosphere

I made a cacosphere this time using a "rotate around an arbitrary axis" function (and made all the rotation functions have fixed point angles instead of byte angles so its more accurate). It doesn't currently rotate or anything:
http://filesmelt.com/dl/zd3dcrap333.wad
Actually there were too many cacos so it said "runaway script 1 terminated" because it looped too many times. Anyone know off the top of their head if you can turn off or raise the loop cap? I could probably put a single delay(1) in there only if the iteration is some large number, but that'd be a tic lag whenever I tried to build a sphere with no lag.
But it actually ended up looking neat when the script terminated because you can see a "pie" piece missing from the hollow sphere (when it terminated and stopped making it) and fly inside it, so might as well post this version.
You can see how it'd be pretty straight forward to use thing translations (make each caco a unique color) to make a huge 'photomosaic' caco (but time consuming unless I use python to cycle over the cacodemon jpg to pick out its colors and try to map it from a 2d sprite to a 3d sphere).
I could even put horns on it outside the sphere.

OLDER POST:
Badass Rotating Cacocube

They're actually cacodumbs, a lesser known dormant subspecies.

So like... they form a cube... and the cube, like, rotates... about the x/y & z axis, which is the 1st time I've done any 3d code using a z axis, and its interesting to see anything rotate vertically/all the way around/etc in a 2.5d game. The cube could grow/shrink and bounce off walls or something but haven't tried that much yet.

Could this lead to a new dawn of creating 3d mega-boss super-organisms out of constituent things????? !!!! ?? t6%% ?? It could be treated kind of voxel-like (not that I'm an expert in what those are exactly). Anything could be used, not just cacodemons obviously.. like you could make a new thing for every color of the doom palette, then create a colorful huge 3d thing from them.. but would be a pain to sculpt 3d stuff without some editing program or something.

I could also probably create a giant cacodemon made of smaller cacodemons in a sort of photomosaic way using Thing_SetTranslation to change their colors to match the relative pixel location of the cacodemon sprite (also maybe animate if colors can change mid-game).

Public domain or whatever, free to whatever. For zdoom.

http://filesmelt.com/dl/zd3dcrap.wad

Cool, I got to the top of this thing with the "fly" cheat, then turned it off and I think I was spinning inside the cube for a short while.

It's an interesting experiment. I think the idea of making up one large monster from multiple parts that then stick together has already been done by people like LWM, but certainly never to this extent/scale. If that rotating mass then moved around "intelligently", it'd be an incredible sight. Makes me think my Swarming Flies programs that I did for my dissertation at uni could be reproduced in Doom relatively well too...

I was quite impressed how Doom's physics let the player fall through the cube without anything unexpected happening. I know last time I tried to do something similar programming myself, the player tended to get a giant amount of momentum from all of the little collisions and would usually end up well out of the map boundaries after one pass through.

I never used the fly cheat, so opened the map in doombuilder, and clicked tools/test map. Then I typed f... l... y- *zdoom quits and goes back to doombuilder*. Doh! I have y set as the quit key so I can quickly double tap y to quit.. Ok, lets try again *looks up other cheats*
g... i... v... e... a... r... t... i... f... l... y- *zdoom quits and goes back to doombuilder* Doh!, yes, artifly has a y in it too dumbass! Ok, try again, "giveall"... nothing happens. "give all"... nothing happens. WELL SCREW IT THEN, I'm not changing my quit key you bastards. This is a conspiracy, and all the monsters are in on it. I've played road rash 2 and observed the behavior of Natasha enough to know video game characters routinely conspire against me. She's an absolute cheater.. if you punch her she summons cars and obstacles at just the right horizon level to give you no reaction time, she hacks the variables of the game code itself, like making your width wider so you crash into more stuff. She makes your bike fall over with one little push and increases the speed of OTHER racers. Her power is so great that I wouldn't be surprised if she hacked past the genesis console, through the air and through my computer to even affect another game, doom2, and now she does stuff like manipulate the random number generator in her favor and make cheat codes not work.

Anyway, the cacodumbs don't shoot because of decorate, not acs. I would prefer to have DECORATE.txt as a separate file all the time so you could easily see/change it and it would be obvious it even exists, but doombuilder2 requires it to be hidden inside the pwad afaik.

You have to bring down the console in ZDoom pressing the `¬¦ key (yeah, mine has all three of those symbols on it. I've heard the word "tilde" used before with regards to consoles, but that's this thing: ~ which is on an entirely different key altogether :\ ) then type in fly, press enter, close the console by pressing that key again and marvel at your new found lack of gravity.

EDIT: As for DECORATE - it can be in a seperate .WAD file that DB2 uses as a resource. You can then have that seperate .WAD file open in SLADE or something, I think. Alternately, you can use a directory as a source of resources in DB2, but I have no idea how that works, or if it'd pick up a text file.

mesmerizing.

anyway even removing the decorate code the cacoes will nor shoot nor bite you.

stayed a while inside the cube in fly mode, listening to trance/tecno music... uh well, it was quite an experience.

Flying worked in the console.

Little White Mouse's huge boss monster is called harbringer I think. That and the last fight of the last map here:
http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=12364
(just iddqd to it if you want because its a cool scripted art piece)
are the coolest/biggest doom boss monsters I'm aware of.

The cacodumbs are actually spawning and then being removed each frame, so it appears like the same one is moving. That's why you can move through the cube kinda easily, because they'll just fail to spawn if you're in the way, and you can't kill/upset one much because it'll quickly be removed and a new one will spawn in its place.

Epic. Making them shoot would raise epicness to a whole different level though, someone smart plz do eet. That would work not only as bosses, but as traps in slaughterish maps as well.

Even for shooting I'd use acs, not decorate. I think the best use of decorate is to make things dormant dummies, so you can have more control to do whatever with acs.
There's different ways it could potentially shoot: each shoot toward the side its facing, each shoot toward the player, each shoot at a point kinda far past the player (this should make it a thicker mass for you to dodge I think, as the merging cone tip of all their shots would be behind you and you'd be in a thicker piece of the cone). They could shoot randomly or in unison. Or it could shoot some sort of other thing that does its own weird things etc., instead of a projectile.

It's like fighting against a borg cube. You could shoot a bunch of rockets (photon torpedoes) to kill some of the cacos to make dents in the space ship.

thats quite intriguing - reminds me of a weird boss from gunstar heroes, I can imagine it forming different shapes and attacking in different ways.

mouldy said:

thats quite intriguing - reminds me of a weird boss from gunstar heroes, I can imagine it forming different shapes and attacking in different ways.

You mean this guy?

Ah, yes. The Core Guard. Totally forgot about that one. Then again, pretty much all of Gunstar's bosses were epic.

baronofheck82 said:

ducon: Um, -file zd3d.wad works for me :)

Of course, but I only see map01.

Did you drag/drop the wad into zdoom (has acs scripts so won't work in prboom)? Also, just in case your zdoom is set to not allow things above things (infinitely tall cacos etc), then you have to type: compat_nopassover = "false" in the console (but chances are its probably already set correctly)

I'll try to make a supercaco made of smaller cacos, that shoots and has attack patterns and stuff, but haven't made any progress yet.

gggmork said:

I've played road rash 2 and observed the behavior of Natasha enough to know video game characters routinely conspire against me. She's an absolute cheater.. if you punch her she summons cars and obstacles at just the right horizon level to give you no reaction time, she hacks the variables of the game code itself, like making your width wider so you crash into more stuff. She makes your bike fall over with one little push and increases the speed of OTHER racers. Her power is so great that I wouldn't be surprised if she hacked past the genesis console, through the air and through my computer to even affect another game, doom2, and now she does stuff like manipulate the random number generator in her favor and make cheat codes not work.

Can't believe someone else had this experience. Seriously Natasha is such a cheater, I've had horrible stuff happen to me near her. So I drive by her and a car appears and boom, I fly about a hundred meters or so and land right next to a police officer. That little...

Anyways, this mod is amazing but it'd be cool if you could kill them because the corpses never appear even if you use the kill cheat. Anyways hope you make them fire eventually. :)

gggmork said:

Did you drag/drop the wad into zdoom (has acs scripts so won't work in prboom)? Also, just in case your zdoom is set to not allow things above things (infinitely tall cacos etc), then you have to type: compat_nopassover = "false" in the console (but chances are its probably already set correctly)

I'll try to make a supercaco made of smaller cacos, that shoots and has attack patterns and stuff, but haven't made any progress yet.

Here is what I wrote then got in the console:

> /usr/local/bin/zdoom -iwad /usr/share/games/doom/doom2.wad -file /tmp/zd3dcrap.wad 
ZDoom v2.6.1 - SVN revision 3794 - SDL version
Compiled on Jul 30 2012
Using video driver x11

M_LoadDefaults: Load system defaults.
Gameinfo scan took 0 ms
W_Init: Init WADfiles.
 adding /usr/local/bin/zdoom.pk3, 558 lumps
 adding /usr/share/games/doom/doom2.wad, 2956 lumps
 adding /tmp/zd3dcrap.wad
I_Init: Setting up machine state.
CPU Vendor ID: AuthenticAMD
  Name: AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 445 Processor
  Family 16 (16), Model 5, Stepping 3
  Features: MMX MMX+ SSE SSE2 SSE3 3DNow! 3DNow!+
I_InitSound: Initializing FMOD
FMOD Sound System, copyright � Firelight Technologies Pty, Ltd., 1994-2009.
Loaded FMOD version 4.22.06
I  System::init returned error code 61
GSound init failed. Using nosound.
V_Init: allocate screen.
S_Init: Setting up sound.
ST_Init: Init startup screen.
Checking cmd-line parameters...
G_ParseMapInfo: Load map definitions.
S_InitData: Load sound definitions.
Texman.Init: Init texture manager.
ParseTeamInfo: Load team definitions.
LoadActors: Load actor definitions.
R_Init: Init Doom refresh subsystem.
DecalLibrary: Load decals.
M_Init: Init menus.
P_Init: Init Playloop state.
ParseSBarInfo: Loading default status bar definition.
ParseSBarInfo: Loading custom status bar definition.
D_CheckNetGame: Checking network game status.
player 1 of 1 (1 nodes)
Resolution: 1280 x 1024
Could not create music stream.
If your soundcard cannot play more than one
wave at a time, you will hear no music.
/dev/dsp: Device or resource busy
Couldn't open dsp device (`d')

+MAP01 - entryway

Could not create music stream.
If your soundcard cannot play more than one
wave at a time, you will hear no music.
/dev/dsp: Device or resource busy
Couldn't open dsp device (`d')
I see no fatal error here.
Note that GZDoom messed my ZDoom config file, that’s why I run ZDoom this way.