Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Kid Airbag

Does it really matter?

Sometimes I'll open up random WADs in WadAuthor, especially if that WAD has something I want to see how to do. One thing I've noticed in just about every single wad, is that all the linedefs are flipped to the front. I only ever flip them if I want to make a one-sided wall or a switch out of the linedef. Is there a reason everyone else does this but me, and does it really accomplish anything?

Originally posted by Archvile64
Is there a reason everyone else does this but me, and does it really accomplish anything?

It doesn't accomplish anything in most ports, although I remember seeing a few cases of projectiles "disappearing" into lower walls facing the wrong way in the vanilla engine, even though it wasn't a consistent bug.

I assume it doesn't really do anything, but I'm picky and I ALWAYS have my lines facing the proper direction, even if they're lighting effects or just used for multiple teleport destinations in the same sector.

I'd say that it's simply a convention that allows for consistency, and generally makes it easy to figure out which sidedef needs texturing, etc.

it's good for consistency yes, much easier to just select all relevant linedefs and texture one side when whatever structure you're making is done... Also, sometimes the bullet puffs wont show in doom2.exe if you hit a lower/upper texture of a linedef facing the wrong way.

It also makes it easier to use Wadauthor's align linedef textures feature. It won't work unless all selected linedefs are facing the same way. In fact the option won't even show up on the right click context menu.

Originally posted by Erik
sometimes the bullet puffs wont show in doom2.exe if you hit a lower/upper texture of a linedef facing the wrong way.

Yeah I noticed that when I made a set of stairs in a map and tried shooting at them. Don't know why I did though.

Originally posted by Erik
Also, sometimes the bullet puffs wont show in doom2.exe if you hit a lower/upper texture of a linedef facing the wrong way.

But that's only in vanilla, right? If I'm making a source-port specific level it really won't matter?

Archvile64 said:

But that's only in vanilla, right? If I'm making a source-port specific level it really won't matter?

Nah, anything Boom-based doesn't have this problem.

Lüt said:

Nah, anything Boom-based doesn't have this problem.

Yummy. I can continue being lazy, wonderful.

Archvile64 said:

The bug exists in Doom64 though!