Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
exl

WhackEd 4

3 minutes ago, exl said:

I'm not sure, it is trying to load one of the button graphic resources but can't read or find them. What location did you install it to, the default of "Program Files (x86)\WhackEd4"?

No, I have it installed in my Doom folder which is just under C:\.

Hello, i open Whacked4 and shows me this giant error:

src\whacked4\ui\windows.py:233: wxPyDeprecationWarning: Call to deprecated item. Use :meth:`AddTool` instead.
src\whacked4\ui\windows.py:235: wxPyDeprecationWarning: Call to deprecated item. Use :meth:`AddTool` instead.
src\whacked4\ui\windows.py:237: wxPyDeprecationWarning: Call to deprecated item. Use :meth:`AddTool` instead.
src\whacked4\ui\windows.py:239: wxPyDeprecationWarning: Call to deprecated item. Use :meth:`AddTool` instead.
src\whacked4\ui\windows.py:241: wxPyDeprecationWarning: Call to deprecated item. Use :meth:`AddTool` instead.
src\whacked4\ui\windows.py:243: wxPyDeprecationWarning: Call to deprecated item. Use :meth:`AddTool` instead.
src\whacked4\ui\windows.py:245: wxPyDeprecationWarning: Call to deprecated item. Use :meth:`AddTool` instead.
src\whacked4\ui\windows.py:247: wxPyDeprecationWarning: Call to deprecated item. Use :meth:`AddTool` instead.
src\whacked4\ui\windows.py:249: wxPyDeprecationWarning: Call to deprecated item. Use :meth:`AddTool` instead.
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "src\whacked4\app.py", line 60, in OnInit
  File "src\whacked4\ui\mainwindow.py", line 54, in __init__
  File "src\whacked4\ui\editors\statesframe.py", line 63, in __init__
  File "src\whacked4\ui\windows.py", line 1942, in __init__
  File "src\whacked4\ui\spritepreview.py", line 35, in __init__
wx._core.wxAssertionError: C++ assertion "strcmp(setlocale(LC_ALL, NULL), "C") == 0" failed at ..\..\src\common\intl.cpp(1579) in wxLocale::GetInfo(): You probably called setlocale() directly instead of using wxLocale and now there is a mismatch between C/C++ and Windows locale.
Things are going to break, please only change locale by creating wxLocale objects to avoid this!
  File "src\whacked4\ui\editors\thingsframe.py", line 314, in activate
  File "src\whacked4\ui\editors\thingsframe.py", line 352, in update_properties
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'things'

I have python 3.7 installed on the pc. Could it affect the program in any way?

It uses its own Python version, so that should not be the cause. It is trying to open up the Thing editor window but there's no patch loaded... What version are you using and what do you do exactly to trigger that error?

Hey, DoomRetro and Crispy Doom recently have been updated to have a few Extended DeHackEd features dehardcoded. Is there any chance you will make them visible in the WhackEd4 editor? Doom Retro has additional parameters like floatbob and blood color that I don't see in the editor.

It's on my todo list to add those, and especially to look closer at the extended Dehacked stuff. But when that will be I don't know. Weird and busy times. In the meantime, I'll gladly look at patches submitted through Github.

On 6/1/2020 at 4:13 AM, exl said:

It uses its own Python version, so that should not be the cause. It is trying to open up the Thing editor window but there's no patch loaded... What version are you using and what do you do exactly to trigger that error?

Ok, the error triggers when i just open the program. I'm using the version 1.2.4 (the most recent).

I tried 1.2.3 and this works! But 1.2.4 spits that error :/

A friend found an issue in WhackEd with vanilla strings. The length limiting is incorrect. The maximum number of characters in a string should be defined by the first number after the "Text" label. That number is passed into the below function from Chocolate Doom:

Spoiler

static int TXT_MaxStringLength(int len)
{
    // Enough bytes for the string and the NUL terminator

len += 1;

// All strings in doom.exe are on 4-byte boundaries, so we may be able
    // to support a slightly longer string.
    // Extend up to the next 4-byte boundary

len += (4 - (len % 4)) % 4;

// Less one for the NUL terminator.

return len - 1;
}

On 9/10/2020 at 11:53 AM, exl said:

I tried installing this interim version, and I'm still popping this error whenever I try to open one of my .deh files:

src\whacked4\ui\windows.py:233: wxPyDeprecationWarning: Call to deprecated item. Use :meth:`AddTool` instead.
src\whacked4\ui\windows.py:235: wxPyDeprecationWarning: Call to deprecated item. Use :meth:`AddTool` instead.
src\whacked4\ui\windows.py:237: wxPyDeprecationWarning: Call to deprecated item. Use :meth:`AddTool` instead.
src\whacked4\ui\windows.py:239: wxPyDeprecationWarning: Call to deprecated item. Use :meth:`AddTool` instead.
src\whacked4\ui\windows.py:241: wxPyDeprecationWarning: Call to deprecated item. Use :meth:`AddTool` instead.
src\whacked4\ui\windows.py:243: wxPyDeprecationWarning: Call to deprecated item. Use :meth:`AddTool` instead.
src\whacked4\ui\windows.py:245: wxPyDeprecationWarning: Call to deprecated item. Use :meth:`AddTool` instead.
src\whacked4\ui\windows.py:247: wxPyDeprecationWarning: Call to deprecated item. Use :meth:`AddTool` instead.
src\whacked4\ui\windows.py:249: wxPyDeprecationWarning: Call to deprecated item. Use :meth:`AddTool` instead.
src\whacked4\ui\windows.py:2273: wxPyDeprecationWarning: Call to deprecated item. Use :meth:`AddTool` instead.
src\whacked4\ui\windows.py:3522: wxPyDeprecationWarning: Call to deprecated item. Use :meth:`AddTool` instead.
src\whacked4\ui\windows.py:3524: wxPyDeprecationWarning: Call to deprecated item. Use :meth:`AddTool` instead.
src\whacked4\ui\windows.py:3936: wxPyDeprecationWarning: Call to deprecated item. Use :meth:`AddTool` instead.
src\whacked4\ui\windows.py:3938: wxPyDeprecationWarning: Call to deprecated item. Use :meth:`AddTool` instead.
  File "src\whacked4\app.py", line 68, in OnInit
  File "src\whacked4\ui\mainwindow.py", line 232, in open_file
  File "src\whacked4\dehacked\patch.py", line 590, in read_dehacked
TypeError: list indices must be integers or slices, not str

The .deh was created with the same version of WhackEd that it's failing to open in, for Doom v1.9 and DOOM2 as the IWAD.  I made minor modifications to the .deh file in Notepad++ before it started doing this but I'm not sure if that's relevant.

I also tried getting rid of the .whacked file associated with the .deh, and now it will prompt me when I open it; but it doesn't show Doom or Ultimate Doom 1.9 as available options.  This is true in both the normal and interim 1.2.4 versions.

Let me know if you need any more information.  In the meantime, do you have suggestions for how I might get around this?  I have a bunch of dehacked work I want to do and I can't do it with these errors popping.  If all else fails I might see if I can find 1.2.3 or another older version.

11 minutes ago, exl said:

Would it be possible to see the patch file itself?

Sure, I'll DM you a link to it.

BUT I think I know what the problem was.  I had added a ZDoom obituary string, manually, in Notepad++, which given that the patch had been saved as a Doom 1.9 deh probably confused WhackEd due to the sudden compatibility breakage.  It also explains why I couldn't open it in 1.9 mode when I downgraded to 1.2.3, which is what I'm currently using.  I'll also point you to this other error I often get when saving or opening a patch that doesn't crash the program, but still worries me a bit when I see it.

23 hours ago, StupidBunny said:

Sure, I'll DM you a link to it.

Thanks for sending it. It does indeed load fine on my end, which makes sense. It won't like things that are not compatible with the engine config you load it with. It should give better feedback about that though.

Id liek to do a patch for Doom 1/Chex, but no matter what configuration i pick i get Doom 2 item id's and frames... is there a way to omit them so i can ensure i ain't trying to make the vanilla exe load things that don't exist?

Hey @exl, a few of us have been cooking up a new compatibility standard called MBF21 (with full support in the latest dsda-doom release so it's a real thing ;), and it's got a load of new DEHACKED features. What are your thoughts on adding support for this in WHackEd4? We're seeing about getting the new features supported in as many ports+tools as possible, to try and get "Boom" mapping out of the stone age. ;)

Interesting stuff. I plan to add support for it, at some point. It is on my todo list at any rate. Some hairy work to support multiple flag fields will be needed, which is something I've been putting off for a while now.

Thanks for maintaining WHackEd4 so far! I would really appreciate the support of mbf21 personally since the tool in particular is my primary way of doing dehackery. 

That one seems hard to reproduce, but I'll include a safeguard against that in the next version. No ETA on that though.

2 hours ago, exl said:

You might wanna fix those URLs, since Google ABSOLUTELY refuses to download anything from links with http: instead of https:

I updated the links a while ago, didn't realise HTTPS is supported by Team Hellspawn now.

When another beta releases, I recommend bundling the MBF21 spec with it ( makes doom editing much easier, by the way thank you for making dehacked windows compatible )

18 hours ago, Redoom said:

When another beta releases, I recommend bundling the MBF21 spec with it ( makes doom editing much easier, by the way thank you for making dehacked windows compatible )

That's planned for the next version. This version does include some preparatory work for it.

wx._core.wxAssertionError: C++ assertion "strcmp(setlocale(LC_ALL, NULL), "C") == 0" failed at ..\..\src\common\intl.cpp(1579) in wxLocale::GetInfo(): You probably called setlocale() directly instead of using wxLocale and now there is a mismatch between C/C++ and Windows locale.
Things are going to break, please only change locale by creating wxLocale objects to avoid this!

always get this error while launching whackED

i always get this error while launching whackED

50 minutes ago, Beans said:

i always get this error while launching whackED

whats your specs and os?