Find results in...
Katamori

Ask for opinions about this band.

Do you like it  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like it

• Yes
    • No

Recently I discovered an interesting band on The Map of Metal and I became a huge fan of it, even though I've never been a big fan of this genre.

This band is called Darkspace and they are from Switzerland. Essentially they play black metal but this is something different from the usual bands because their songs (which are incredibly long and actually only instrumentals) including ambient elements. This is called atmospheric black metal, but this is still different for those I've found later.

For me, these songs are perfect: the combination of the strong atmosphere, the extremely hard sound and even a bit of surrealism - the featureless song and album names made the last one more stronger. What do you think?

Hmmm, it's OK. I neither like nor dislike it. I could play Quake to it though. ;)

I always like some ambient metal, but this left me cold. Drums were in my opinion too distant, and because of that, guitar shredding was too annoying to my ears.

What he said:

Enjay said:

I could play Quake to it though. ;)

Sounds like Dark Funeral if you listened to it through a pillow.

How about this instead:

I like their ambient acoustic bits (someone compiled all of them in this video), though they have some kind of awkward progressions in the songs. Definitely my favorite band from Armenia ;)

Eh, just a casual process of discovering depths of your tastes. That's why I loathe the whole genre business tbh. For example lots of black or whatever metal fans migrated to hard electro scene, as is somewhat apparent from comments here.

I don't like that kind of music because they are bashing too many instruments at the same time (the extremely hard sound as you mentioned), so you can't even hear the lyrics nor the melody. Unless you turn up the music and hurt your hearing in the process. That music would ruin Quake :/

The music in the first post was a bit too intense for me. I get why you like it, since it's a kind of dark, aggressive melody that avoids turning emo. I could see it as background music to a game like Quake, definitely.

Nomad's post hits closer to home. Something with a haunting melody which evokes a range of emotions. That's why I like Muse. Their instrumentals are fantastic and their off-beat, unusual lyrics hit emotional keys without straying into emo territory. The tune Nomad posted could have been used as a trailer theme for something like Quake 2. Unfortunately I hate that kind of singing, I view this as horrible noise (despite the level of voice control needed to "sing" like that).