Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hellbent

Lance talks (and weeps)

http://abcnews.go.com/US/lance-armstrong-tears-children-defending/story?id=18252663

Lance Armstrong, 41, began to cry today as he described finding out his son Luke, 13, was publicly defending him from accusations that he doped during his cycling career.

Armstrong said that he knew, at that moment, that he would have to publicly admit to taking performance-enhancing drugs and having oxygen-boosting blood transfusions when competing in the Tour de France. He made those admissions to Oprah Winfrey in a two-part interview airing Thursday and tonight.

Until this whole thing kicked off a few months ago and someone posted a thread about it here, I'd never even heard of Lance Armstrong. Once I had heard about him, I failed to care about him, his sport, the cheating or the lies.

So, another meh from me.

Eh, I stopped caring about this a long time ago, and I knew that any apology made on his part would end up being complete bullshit. Don't get me wrong, I couldn't believe it when I first heard the news, and it's friggin' insulting that someone that so many people looked up to as a role model could be such a total scumbag, but I just can't get behind things like this being dragged out for so goddamn long.

Really, in retrospect, I think the real issue is that we idolize athletes way too much. Obviously, that statement might be easily dismissed as stemming from the fact that back in school, I was a total nerd, and nobody cares about the nerds, but let's face it, it's not like these people do anything positive for society. Sure, they provide entertainment, but that does not automatically make them good people. It doesn't say anything about what they do to contribute to society.

it's nice lance did all that charity work, but still he doped through all his career and went the extra mile to publically humiliate and legally curbstomp anyone implying him cheating. whatever's coming your way, you've earned it, lance.

Bicycles are lame.

dew said:

it's nice lance did all that charity work

Did he do anything for cancer before he got it? All these celebrities that only start caring about a disease after they recover is also ultra lame.

Here's an article about he consistently lied to a journalist who has defended him for the past 14 years.

Here's another about how he conducted a campaign of character assassination against a woman who refused to lie for him.

If I'm honest I don't particularly care about cycling or sports in general, but this whole case is utterly disgusting. I'm willing to believe that other cyclists were taking drugs as well, but it doesn't excuse the rest of his behavior. It seems pretty obvious to me that the guy is a sociopath who's been spinning out a web of lies for years. Now that web has unravelled and he has nowhere else to turn, he finally tells the truth. Not out of any honest desire to come clean, but because there's nothing else he can do.

When I first heard the news, I could not believe it because of how long he hid the secret. I mean what he did was wrong and he should be ashamed of himself. I also heard he was stripped of all of his titles (such as the 7 Tour de France Titles) and that he was permanently banned from professional cycling. I also remember getting a Lance Armstrong "Live Strong" rubber bracelet from a friend and I don't know what happened to it, but I don't care about it anymore. I also heard that people who still own the bracelet are crossing out the "V" in "LIVE" so that it says "LIE STRONG" to show that he lied, and that makes sense. Shame on him for lying to us, it's just as bad as what Tim Poe did in AGT 2012.

Also, check out what fans are doing to their Lance Armstrong gear in this article I found.

I'm not defending him in any regard, but it's not like he was the only one doping. And even if no one was (including himself), he probably still would have been the superior cyclist.

st.alfonzo said:

That scene in Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story has now been tarnished forever.

Hahaha, I was just thinking about that!

Aliotroph? said:

My transhumanist side says we should punish athletes who don't dope. :p

We do. They lose. ;)

fraggle said:

Here's an article about he consistently lied to a journalist who has defended him for the past 14 years.

... ouch.

NiTROACTiVE said:

Also, check out what fans are doing to their Lance Armstrong gear in this article I found.

I'm sorry, but reaction to this is so disproportionate. Unless there's some egregious aspect to this story which I've overlooked.

An athlete takes steroids which make him perform better, lies about it because they're illegal, then later admits to taking them. It's cheating, yes - unlike in a sport such as professional bodybuilding where common sense tells you everyone is using steroids, so it's a fair competition. But aren't there more sinister things going on in the world to get so upset about?

esselfortium said:

I'll never trust an astronaut again.

I tried so hard not to laugh.

Enjay said:

Until this whole thing kicked off a few months ago and someone posted a thread about it here, I'd never even heard of Lance Armstrong. Once I had heard about him, I failed to care about him, his sport, the cheating or the lies.

So, another meh from me.

Same thing here pretty much, never even heard of the guy until it was announced on the news. To be honest, it's his life, he's the one who mucked his career up, not me. I don't particularly care what he did as a sportsman cheating isn't exactly the biggest problem on this planet. There a far more things going on that should be dealt with instead of caring about some sportsman (who like a footballer, probably gets paid god knows what) who cheated in his career.