Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mrthejoshmon

A nail biting personal project

I have taken advice from the fellow doomers (thanks to cacowad and wesleyjohnson for helping me with the ideas for it) which has really helped with the new wasteland maps I am making that are still in super alpha-beta stages which more than 70% of the map is still blank, but major changes to the demo I have released on my youtube account, I have created this thread for the development of the maps and the changes that have taken place as well as using youtube for video demonstrations of the map.
the video to the super-alpha-beta flat land with a cave:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oi4MAMfz5w

the map now contains the following features:
an overrun and faulted building with half open doors, and a door that needs to be crouched under
a small rocky segment which has enemies, evidence of a battle and goodies such as weapons and pickups
the start point now has some story behind it: it was an outpost you and some others (co-op compatible) received the unlucky job of guarding the computer there and its information, after destroying the computer, some of our men tried to leave, only giving you the key to the outpost, the only protection is your side arm and your trusty hunting shotgun you left yourself on the table, you need to get out of the wastelands and back to the UAC headquarters in the next canyon...

Just for reference, you can embed YouTube vids with the YT tag and their ID (the series of characters that are after v= in the URL).

Like this:

In the absence of screenshots, it's reader-friendlier to have at least a video thumbnail to get an idea of how the map looks.

this has been changed due to me being asked to: the map now has enemies placed at camps and other things around the wastes as well as a container make shift outpost that has been taken over by demon, I am trying to see if I can make a marine camp!

http:<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/siPUL5etnho?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I have not tried that one, the post that says "I GIVE UP AT THIS" has been edited around 10-20 times now trying all the different codes from various ways, i will try that now:

AH IT WORKED! THANK YOU!

Please use the "Edit" button rather than repeatedly posting for small updates. The "Preview Reply" button is also worth using for trying out tags and formatting.

Some new features to the wad have been made:
easier enemy placement,
a fix from a demon being stuck behind a torch,
fixed a zombieman in the floor,
fixed a stuck imp,
a couple new misc ruins of shacks and walls,
new human camp made of crates, over run by demons and all men killed off, contains supplies and a chainsaw as well as "surprise invisible imp!"
future updates:
structures: IE caves, mines, buildings, camps and maybe a fort like structure.
maybe marines walking about/ defending camps,
custom sounds for pistols/ bullets
and finally a multicolored cacodemon skin because I can

I doubt any body reads this but a full and working concept has been added, areas where the environment change (kind of like that minecraft biomes thing) such as waste dumps, swamp like areas, industrial (start point) and the main focus: wasteland.
I don't believe anybody actually cares and this will not be seen or even replied to, unless its someone complaining or somebody with monumental amounts of sarcasm. this will be the last wad update post I do otherwise.

yeah new mappers get little attention here usually which is kind of a shame, you should be proud of your work though even if nobody responds. what exactly is the environment change thing?

Tango said:

what exactly is the environment change thing?

the map now has areas that have a pallet or scheme behind them, the map has a release but I am nowhere near finished with it yet:
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?9il0geca499396m
its not that great and allot of the original content was cut, but in future versions there will be more levels and things like custom sprites and sounds

i had some trouble finding what you're talking about... ran around for a few minutes shooting stuff but didn't see anything in the main area. where should i be going?

Tango said:

i had some trouble finding what you're talking about... ran around for a few minutes shooting stuff but didn't see anything in the main area. where should i be going?

its a map for exploring...
or you can find a certain ruin with a red key in it then jump up an arachnotron guarded mud like mountain then enter the tech like base to end the level, the exploring is need though as its one of the only way to get weapons!
(its a really strange concept I came up with)

the wad is on its way to doomworld, it SHOULD be coming soon unless it is rejected! major changes:
mp3 files removed due to copyright and personal worries of copyright!
difficulty added, UV WILL kill you.
it becomes a slaughter fest within the short time of leaving the base.
objectives in read me.
brutal doom compatible.
Russian overkill compatible.
beautiful doom compatible.
not vanilla compatible due to jump and crouch needed.
exit switch on arachnotron guarded hill.
some bugs and terrain fixes, such as hills and ditches.
thats it, the last post of news for this wad.