Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sahkan

My doom remake project ! *23/1/13 update #2*

Planing on do it with unity 4 using DX11 Tesselation and all the new cool stuf, This is what i got so far, Please comment :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BdLs5I8mSw

I also like to listen to your ideas about :
1 - remake doom 2 or make and extention pack to it ?
2 - using new mouse + WSAD movement or old classic arrows ?
Thanks !

22/1/13 update :
New walkcycle plus hit :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVClNZAeGpI
Please share your opinion .

23/1/13 update :
Less robotic more realistic i guess :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wexLNVpcj9Y
Please share your opinion .

23/1/13 update #2 :
New floor for doom 2 Entryway :

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
*Compare with the classic one :

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The animation of that imp looks nice! It would be cool to see a remake/MOD of Doom like that. Would it be like in this picture that was from this thread?

Also, here's two things regarding your questions:
1. Depending on how good you are you could even make a remake to Doom or make a MOD to it.
2. It would be nice if you were to keep the classic controls, but maybe you should have the modern aiming feature in the remake/MOD.

NiTROACTiVE said:

The animation of that imp looks nice! It would be cool to see a remake/MOD of Doom like that. Would it be like in this picture that was from this thread?

Also, here's two things regarding your questions:
1. Depending on how good you are you could even make a remake to Doom or make a MOD to it.
2. It would be nice if you were to keep the classic controls, but maybe you should have the modern aiming feature in the remake/MOD.

Thanks, i guess i will give both of controls .
That picture is awesome but as iot seems this is no game just a rendered pictures of objects .

Maes said:

It's a pity that more would-be modelers don't notice the Doom Ascension project. This way, more talent could be channeled in one direction, instead of re-inventing the wheel everytime. Yeah, it's "a Doomsday Engine mod", but models are models...

AFAIK, NiuHaka is still recruiting...

Dooms engine is cool but it's lack of modern effects, there are not even normal maps that started to take place in games years ago...
I wanna use unity 4 ( went out may be 2 weeks ago ) cus it has all the new cool stuff, im going to it by myself so it will probably take time .

Sahkan said:

Dooms engine is cool but it's lack of modern effects, there are not even normal maps that started to take place in games years ago...
I wanna use unity 4 ( went out may be 2 weeks ago ) cus it has all the new cool stuff, im going to it by myself so it will probably take time .

Well, engine considerations apart, couldn't you benefit from the already-made models and possibly contribute a bit? With normal maps for you, without for "general purpose" use. Unless you plan on using totally incompatible model formats...

Speaking of engines, keep in mind that complete recreations "from scratch" usually don't gain much acceptance, if any, simply because people have grown so accustomed to Doom's mechanics and availability of mods/levels/demos, to the point that something which can't use any of them is simply not considered Doom.

Is your goal to make an engine compatible with the existing IWAD data (and PWADs) and support standard Doom engine features (even if just vanilla/limit removing), or are you aiming at a completely independent recreation?

In that latter case be forewarned that there have been some older projects in other engines (including third party ones, "make your own 3D game" type of engine or even purpose-built) which however were never mantained for long nor gained any momentum, precisely because, well, other than the name they were not really Doom, something which you can't really do unless you base your work on an existing source port or the original source release, and then work upwards from there.

With an engine such an Unity you'd have to recreate levels yourself, another daunting task, unless you manage to create a dynamic WAD loader that works under unity....now that would be some achievement!

Edit: Is that the Unity you're speaking of? In that case you'll probably won't be able to reuse much of Doom's codebase and replicate the mechanics and retain binary compatibility (maps, demos etc.), unless of course you're a master programmer and can balance between the "designer" and "coder" aspects....in which case it would be an interesting experiment: using Unity's graphics, but the "core" behind it being 100% Doom, and not an approximation based on guesswork/intepretation.

I was thinking more like stanalone game project, i dont think you can import WAD to Doom 3 Classic too and even so it kicks ass .

Sahkan said:

I was thinking more like stanalone game project, i dont think you can import WAD to Doom 3 Classic too and even so it kicks ass .

As Doom 3, aka, as a completely separate game, sure, it "kicks ass" (for those that like it, that is, but this is another story)

There's even a "Doom Classic" mod for Doom 3 with 3D models, Doom 3's lighting, level recreations etc. but, surprise surprise, it does not quite feel like you're playing classic Doom with new graphics, and that's one of the best adaptations out there.

Just a question, you are aware of the fact that there are source ports of Doom out there that support things like high resolutions, 3D acceleration, hi-res textures, 3D models for sprites etc. right? E.g. Risen 3D, JDoom, Eternity Engine etc. plus those have the advantage of IWAD/PWAD compatibility.

Thus, IMO, this leaves very little space for stuff like this or this.

Personally, I don't see the point for a recreation using a completely different engine, as you can reuse almost nothing from the original, and contribute almost nothing back to the community. Most of them just made it to the point of a monster and a test level or two, then their authors abandonded them simply because producing anything more than that is simply monumental, too much work for a single person, and because the gameplay is very hard to finetune from scratch. At that point, it makes more sense going the path of a full-blown source port, not a recreation.

My opinion? If you are adamant about going 3D modeling, try contributing to one of the ongoing 3D Doom model packs (Doom Ascension is easily the best of its kind, if not the best ever). This way, your work will reach a wider audience (people will be able to use your models with standard Doom IWADs and levels, and you won't have to worry about the engine or gameplay mechanics).

Besides the fact that i wanna make somthing new...
Let's say, some people like to play games at their free time, and this is what i like to do... It's not like i have a deadline or somthing like that, just doing it for fun :)

Your model is unfortunately, not very good. You should take some anatomy studies before you continue.

kristus said:

Your model is unfortunately, not very good. You should take some anatomy studies before you continue.

I know about a problem in the hands and i fixed it .
can you give me some advices and tell me what is wrong in this model please ?

Terrible model, animated poorly.

Like kristus said, you really need to learn how humans and other animals work before you can produce models like this which look halfway decent. Everyone I've ever spoken to about this stuff has said the same thing, and it makes perfect sense. Besides looking ridiculous, your imp walks and attacks like some sort of clockwork robot, which obviously isn't what you intend.

Krispy said:

OK, now he looks like he's spanking his monkey.

I thought it looked like he was heiling the fhürer.

kristus said:

I thought it looked like he was heiling the fhürer.

DoomUK said:

Besides looking ridiculous, your imp walks and attacks like some sort of clockwork robot, which obviously isn't what you intend.

OMG! NAZI ROBOT IMPS FROM SPACE ???!

I do like the "swag" it has. Unlike Doom or even Doom 3 imps that have a hunched, lizard-like stance, this one walks more upright and with an attitude, kinda like an ape in a dominance stance, and it bitch slaps like a bad muthafuckah nigga pimp.

I like the floor texture.

As for this stuff about studying human movement, I wouldn't focus too much on that. You're not going to capture it without mo-cap anyway. If your goal is to recreate Doom, you also need to copy the sprites in a way similar to your textures. Look at the Imp sprites from different angles and try to get as close to that as possible. The Imp doesn't walk upright with its arms straight; it has kind of a hunched over lurch and his arms cocked ready to toss either a fireball or some potatoes into a marine's face.

The 3rd animation is a tad better than the second. Also, that floor texture is really nice! I can't wait for you to animate more monsters and make more textures!

Thank you all guys for the support ! i continue this thread in "WADs & Mods" forum because it seems more suitable over there . I will try to update the thread as much as i can with new details so stay tuned :)