Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MajorRawne

Random question about dreams

I think it's the other way round. Most people dream in colour.

Mine have always been coloured, at any rate.

People dream in colour. I've heard speculation that contrary data was due to the prevalence of b/w media during the 20th century. I guess that's like how I've often had a strange 8-bit colour look in dreams about Daggerfall. Brains seem capable of rewiring themselves to do all sorts of weirdness.

printz said:

You dream whatever you want. It's all from your imagination.

I remember reading somewhere that it is only possible to dream of things that you have actually seen before. Not sure how true that actually is though. I don't dream in classic Game Boy visuals though to answer the question I dream in colour. I get the most weirdest of dreams though and some have even stuck in my mind (usually I forget them).

Mine are always colored and always very weird. A few days ago I dreamed that I was at a lodge all alone and I knew my friends and family were supposed to come the following day. THEN after a hike in the forest (whoch was slightly surreal) for no apparent reason a huge BOAR (of all things) knocks over the door and this is usually the point where I wake up in dreams.

I've also have a few Doom related dreams and they too are very weird.

One of the weirdest was when I awoke in some sort of of capsule and when I got out, I was on a frozen alien planet with my fellow astronauts who told me that the capsule had malfunctioned. Now being marooned on a planet is quite a common trope in Sci-Fi but to actually believe it now that's a different story

Only my nightmares or unpleasant dreams in general are in black and white. I was brought up with a B&W TV set until 1990 or so, but I was well aware of the existence of color TV -and color arcade games!- much before that.

Interestingly, I once had a dream about a fairytale cartoon that was being aired on TV at the time, which was so "magical" that it would appear in color even on B&W TVs, somehow...

Another thing I noticed is that once I had some color reference, I could "fill in" things as I watched: e.g. I knew that football courts were green, so that particular shade of grey I saw on TV should be green. Also, Papa Smurf's tights were normally red, but appeared black on the TV, so I generalized dark colors = reds etc.

One of my colleagues suffered an injury some years ago that caused him to lose the colour part of his vision (he only sees in black and white). Apparently he sometimes dreams in colour, sometimes in black and white, depending on the setting of the dream.

Springy said:

I remember reading somewhere that it is only possible to dream of things that you have actually seen before. Not sure how true that actually is though. I don't dream in classic Game Boy visuals though to answer the question I dream in colour. I get the most weirdest of dreams though and some have even stuck in my mind (usually I forget them).

I meant that it's your brain that imagines what he sees, it's like being awake and thinking of something and imagining that you see something.

fraggle said:

Apparently he sometimes dreams in colour, sometimes in black and white, depending on the setting of the dream.

Probably because he still remembers the colours.

Probably the ones without disabilities who still dream black and white have watched too much black and white TV when they were little, and that impressed them for life.

Blind people that lost sight during life and have memories of pre-blind life have visual dreams in which they clearly can see. Born blind also have dreams but they are non-visual, I can't imagine how that works.

I always see in colors, but sometimes, they're muffled. Not black and white, but like colors had lost their brightness.

And about dreaming, I am very wild about dreams. So wild that I sometimes start talking even while in sleep. It's very disturbing and embarrassing.
Best dream to me, is not to dream. Sounds stupid, but I like that kind of tranquility. Few times went to sleep, and then wake up from nothingness, and felt very refreshed.

Most of my dreams are in colour. Black & white seems to be reserved for dreams in night-time settings, which might have something to do with my poor night vision.

j4rio said:

Dreams are based on memories.

I don't remember being ambushed by lions while walking through the foreshore reserve, that must have been in a previous life.

I don't see black and white dreams except maybe nightmare, not sure. They could be just dark. I heard few dreams with no vision at all or I think the 'vision' was just the same as having closed eyes.

Sometimes I figure in middle of a dream that I'm "watching a nightmare" and because I don't like it, I just open (half-life) console and type quickly "quit" or "disconnect" before anything screamer like happen, which would "shock" me up. Usually the dream just changes to much calmer one. Sometimes I just hit the 'Pause' button instead, and tap it twice to let the dream go just a little bit forward, so I can see what's coming without facing it, huehue.

I like it when I wake up too early, about to catch sleep again, I just close my eyes and start to visualize things in my mind. Once I was thinking about a pencil (dunno why exactly), first it was just a normal pencil, but after a while it had super detailed textures with shining and stuff, and I could watch it from every 'camera angle' like in map(/model) editors. It would be cool to have such strong imagination while awake, seeing everything you imagine perfectly clear.

As a kid, I often had dreams, where I was thinking "I hope something bad is not gonna happen" and it always happened, it was annoying/nightmarish. I figured that I should hope nothing good to happen, so I could manipulate my dreams the way I wanted. Sadly, after that I only saw one of those dreams.

I have tried lucid dreaming few times, but I always forgot every dream if I try it. If I don't try, I remember my dreams pretty good. I have written some dreams right after waking up to boost the chance of remembering dreams of upcoming nights. Why? Because I like dreams, and I want to remember the dreams where I could do and be anything, something that's not possible in real life. For example, 720 degrees = full turn, fly above forests, move objects like in garry's mod etc. I should take a lesson or two from the ultimate dream master, xepop.

This thread made me really uneasy as it's reminding me of the story "The Dream" from Scary Stories In The Dark (not the best thing to read as a child), in which I had a dream of that lady thing chasing me around my room. In B&W.

Most of dreams are in color and they all vary a lot. Sometimes I too get that sleep of "nothingness" where it feels like, towards the last few seconds of nothingness, has a feel of breifness. Like, a few seconds. Then I wake up, also quite refreshed.

A recurring place in my dreams (that usually involves the area of which this place is for the following set of dreams) is the little suburban neighborhood with everybody I know there (might not necessarily be in certain dreams) and some random people I guess I saw some point in life. But the neighborhood is unique in that it sort of looks like mine but not quite. In the center of the neighborhood is the high school (teachers reside here), which also has a lot of other places in my city inside of it. Like, for example, the movie theater with the spring board seats (really fun). The neighborhood's space is pretty tight, not as wide, but not cramped. It's got a good amount of trees all with their canopies at the same level, letting the early sunset light in (almost always sunset in these dreams).

Half a year or go or so, a really memorable dream I had inolved me starting off in the fantasy neighborhood, going to one of my teachers in the school whom game me a ticket, and going to disneyland (which was pretty quiet.) I remember the dream, while short, felt like it lasted the span of a week and that I was supposed to catch a ride somewhere else with this black guy I don't know (he was on the trip with me) but missed it and stayed inside my hotel room for what felt like only a few hours but was supposed to be a week or so, really calm and time-biding, only for him to return and be like "where were you man? Let's go! We'll miss the train."

Yeah, lotsa weird stuff.

eargosedown said:

My dreams always make absolutely no fucking sense at all.

Surely they make some sense. People, places or incidents which are coherent in themselves even if the "plot" of the dream is all over the place.

Mine are in colour :)

Dont think its ever been in black and white.....then again I dont remember much when I wake up. So maybe I have ??

My dreams are in color, and can in fact be very vivid. In any dream where I can see the night sky, it's always incredibly detailed with multicolored stars, galaxies, and nebulas. It's actually one of the ways I've learned to tell I'm in a dream.

geekmarine said:

My dreams are in color, and can in fact be very vivid. In any dream where I can see the night sky, it's always incredibly detailed with multicolored stars, galaxies, and nebulas. It's actually one of the ways I've learned to tell I'm in a dream.

Surely though if you can tell you are in a dream, do you not then wake up?

bcwood16 said:

Surely though if you can tell you are in a dream, do you not then wake up?

There is such a thing as lucid dreaming, wherein you are in a dream and know you're in a dream. That allows you to take control of the dream. But you're right, 99% of the time, when I realize I'm in a dream I wake up. It's actually kind of odd, too, because when I'm trying to stay in the dream, I feel myself growing more and more tired until I fall asleep in my dream, which leads to me waking up in the real world. Kinda makes you question the nature of reality, if you happen to be paranoid about that kind of thing.

geekmarine said:

I fall asleep in my dream, which leads to me waking up in the real world. Kinda makes you question the nature of reality, if you happen to be paranoid about that kind of thing.

Heh, the most confusing dreams are those involving false awakenings, sometimes multiple nested ones (you wake up, then find out that shit's not quite right, you wake up again, and it STILL is not quite right....)

When this happens to me, it's usually some kind of nightmare. The real awakening up is usually a relief O_o