Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mrthejoshmon

really bad wad addiction!

Yep, SLIGE-generated maps are pretty horrible. They look ugly, are painfully linear, and consist entirely of Wolf3D-style boxrooms. There's also no guarantee that the ammo:monster ratio is placed properly either, which becomes a real problem when the only way forward is via a long descent on a platform, with everything waiting for you at the end.

And they just include far too many pointless Demons/Spectres.

Typical SLIGE map:

mrthejoshmon said:

oh, I got a bad megawad for you: Nazi Auferstehung from doom wad station, without knowing it won the worst wad award I played through all 32 shite maps that were done in something called slidge or sleidge or something like that, the maps layouts only change in boss battles, secret levels and the final level and what makes it worse is the texturing, nazi flags mutilated by doors and corridors, even worse: many of the things contained "weapons, enemies" are STOLEN 0.0!
the maps are made of crude nazi flags, and the secrets are the spawn rooms, want an example?

Lol, I used to be almost trembling with excitement downloading megawads from late, lamented Jive's website at 44kbps. I used to play them through even when they were complete crap. In those days I didn't know about Requiem or Alien Vendetta so I thought "Herian" was as good as things got... come to think of it, I don't think Herian was that bad actually.

As for the Nazi map, the gameplay might be chronic but that music was awesome!

You gave me a really good idea in relation to using Brutal Doom.

I'll do crap maps (D!Zone 2 rubbish) alongside you as well (I also subbed back)

Mr. Chris said:

You gave me a really good idea in relation to using Brutal Doom.

I'll do crap maps (D!Zone 2 rubbish) alongside you as well (I also subbed back)

thanks man :) I do warn you though, a majority of bad maps are a slaughter fest of cybers and spiders, it gets real tedious but I also found a directory of all the non copyright protected maximum doom levels

say what you want about slige but there was a point in my life where I was downloading an automatically generated slige megawad from Fraggle's website every day and playing it from start to finish until my fingers got sore. That was when slige was relatively new for me and the idea of playing an infinite supply of new doom maps (despite the quality) was really groundbreaking.

It helped to play with a music replacement wad though.

suppose so, views change rapidly due to new hardware: oblige, but who really makes a wad with next to 90% of its items stolen (that nazi wad)

Cell said:

If I still had the before-renovation version of Doomep47, I'd send it, but I'd already got rid of it irreversibly.

was it bad?

just gotta say thanks to you guys, these are some of the many wads I was able to pick up from the suggestions and some found by the random button
super thanks to Mr. Chris for joining me in the bad wad brutal crusade!

mrthejoshmon said:

was it bad?

Imagine loads of rooms designed linearly in uniformity (same floor, same ceiling, same textures) broken by only inexplicable 64- or 128-pixel width loads of either LITE5 or LITEBLU4, or blandly designed doors with a 128-pixel texture forced onto a 192-pixel-wide upper texture, and that it was positioned into the center of the 64-pixel doorway of only 8 textures, thus having the FLAT20 door ceiling "split". No "E1" organic forms, most of the geometry being either orthogonal or diagonal, design is random like bullshit, no offsets, no texture unpegs concerning aesthetics. 12-pixel stair steps with 8-pixel step textures on lower and either STEP3 or STEPTOP on upper side (from the top of the staircase). Sometimes not even be able to go down a particular staircase (due to ceiling height incompetency), even if was able to go up on the same staircase. Bland, dull, not eye-pleasing at all, have the same texture all over (this being mainly STONE2, METAL1, CEMENT* or GSTONE1). Superfluous ammo, random monster and thing placement, sometimes Ultra-Violence being about a thousand times more challenging than Hey, Not Too Rough. Now, try to match this with a 16-year-old first Doom mapper who wants to get stuff drawn at the age of 12 realised. Complete mess.

Josh, do you have a link to the first crap map you showcase in the above video?

Cell said:

Imagine loads of rooms designed linearly in uniformity (same floor, same ceiling, same textures) broken by only inexplicable 64- or 128-pixel width loads of either LITE5 or LITEBLU4, or blandly designed doors with a 128-pixel texture forced onto a 192-pixel-wide upper texture, and that it was positioned into the center of the 64-pixel doorway of only 8 textures, thus having the FLAT20 door ceiling "split". No "E1" organic forms, most of the geometry being either orthogonal or diagonal, design is random like bullshit, no offsets, no texture unpegs concerning aesthetics. 12-pixel stair steps with 8-pixel step textures on lower and either STEP3 or STEPTOP on upper side (from the top of the staircase). Sometimes not even be able to go down a particular staircase (due to ceiling height incompetency), even if was able to go up on the same staircase. Bland, dull, not eye-pleasing at all, have the same texture all over (this being mainly STONE2, METAL1, CEMENT* or GSTONE1). Superfluous ammo, random monster and thing placement, sometimes Ultra-Violence being about a thousand times more challenging than Hey, Not Too Rough. Now, try to match this with a 16-year-old first Doom mapper who wants to get stuff drawn at the age of 12 realised. Complete mess.

w00t, I'm gonna look for that now just so I can tear it a new one, thanks

Cell said:

If I still had the before-renovation version of Doomep47, I'd send it, but I'd already got rid of it irreversibly.

The story behind that WAD is interesting, and you'll probably want to try and find it no matter how bad it is. Maybe Memfis or one of the other dudes in this thread still has a copy:
http://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/58583-doomep47-childhood-project/

Btw, I like playing bad WADs with Chocolate Doom and the vanilla mod "DOOM 3: Mr. Smiley Head's Safari". There are several versions of this, but the one on /idgames is a PITA to get working because you have to rebuild the WAD with some batch files and need to download extra files. The one on doomwadstation.com (by Jive) is much less trouble and slightly more authetic (closer to the original), but most of all I prefer the original which was released as a DOOM 1.2 IWAD hack (sorta like Chex Quest).

Heh, it would be pretty funny if Brutal Doom was mixed with UACMN.wad that is probably one of the most awful wads I have played (along with Rampage Edition). Speaking of Mockery the unofficial sequel (Mock2: The Speed of Stupid) is a good one that's INTENTIONALLY bad as well (well, I kind of liked it personally).

I have actually mixed UACMN with older brutal doom versions, it turns into a gore fest within five seconds! player re spawns recommended... and I have been playing the mock series and its quite funny so far.

MajorRawne said:

How do you embed YT videos?

example >[ y t ]code thing at end of URL in here [/ y t]
no spaces though
that should do it

MajorRawne said:

How do you embed YT videos?

Quote a video post. That should bring up the credentials. It uses the [ yt ] [ /yt ] format with the end code of the video (usually after v=) in between the two tags (without the spaces between the bracket and letters) I did that as it treats part of that post like a video should be there. EDIT: Sorry didn't realize the post before or after which are better examples.

mrthejoshmon said:

example >[ y t ]code thing at end of URL in here [/ y t]
no spaces though
that should do it

Except yours is broken. I don't think the entire URL works either, just the mash of characters after v=
Obviously replace < and > with [ and ]

Example: <yt>gjbef382tygf</yt>