Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
deadnail

Holy Fucking Shit, It Exists!

Here it is, a desktop style PC case that has front USB ports. Unfortunately, the damn thing still has two 3.5's and only 2 5's. On top of that it appears that no one sells that thing. Now if there was a model more fitting to my needs I'd be all over that thing... even if I had to buy a 250W PSU with it that I'd trash and replace out of the box!

My hopes are high now, though, because I know for a fact that desktop style cases with built in front USB ports exist. If I seem, well, obsessed with building a PC with front USB ports consider this:

• Logitech Trackman Optical, USB (faster than PS/2 ports)
• Lexmark Printer/Scanner combo, USB (MUCH faster than printer ports)
• Playstation gamepad converter, USB (Only on USB, no gameport adapters)
• Webcam, USB

That'll eat up four spots right there, and that's assuming the board has four on the back and two on the front (a PCI for two more on the back isn't that expensive anyway). I'd need extra front ones for things like my digital camera and my Gameshark connector and all that other fun shit that I don't use all the time and going behind the unit to plug them in for a temporary stretch is a pain in the ass I don't need.

IS WHAT I'M ASKING FOR REALLY THAT GODDAMN FARFETCHED? WHY THE HELL DON'T PEOPLE MAKE THESE FUCKING THINGS?! WHY DON'T PEOPLE AT LEAST MAKE 5 BAY SIZED EXHAUST FANS THAT HAVE USB ON THE SIDE?! THE 5 BAY SIZED USB THINGS DON'T HAVE FANS! IS THIS CONCEPT REALLY THIS FUCKING BIZARRE?!

Other than that, this is what I'll be looking at:
$52 Enlight EN-7200AM

Pretty damn ugly, ain't it? On top of that for the case I'll have to plunk down another $50 for the front 3.5 USB thingamajigger. And replace the PSU. OUCH.

In other news, Alien Vendetta map25 tends to make my ZDoom randomly reboot my computer. Seriously, I haven't seen a random reboot since I've gone to XP but ZDoom makes it happen. =)

Caco, caco, baron, caco, cyber, baron, bios. Yikes.

One of those Alien Vendetta levels... 21 I'm pretty sure it is... is my favorite Doom level of ALL TIME. It starts out with red bricks and there's green skulls in the middle of them by green torches. This level has the best texturing I've seen, more impressive than Darkening E2 because they're mostly original game textures. Moreover, this is the ONLY Doom level I've ever wanted to see in GL Rendering. =)

Dunno why you're so worried about sufficient USB ports. You can buy external hubs y'know. Use a USB cable, connect one end to one of the ports on your PC the other to the hub, and boom you have four or more new ports. You can even set up chains of hubs if you want. Use the front ports on your PC for your gamepad, trackball and web cam. Use an external hub for all the other crap like a printer, scanner, digital camera etc...

They designed USB for daisy chaining, hence why hubs on hubs is possible. I'm not fussed bout USB ports in the front of my machine, I only have one or two things that use USB at the moment, but if I do get more I'll be getting a hub.

Go deadnail, you're giving me hope that my new machine could yet be a desktop!

Let us know how you progress.

IMO the problem with USB hubs is that some aren't well powered thus they don't provide a good enough link. And now that most new motherboards support up to six USB ports, they're expendable.

well damn deadnail, if you dont like what you see, just make one. out of a metal suitcase.

Originally posted by deadnail
Well you ought to try using a USB mouse. =)

Don't have a PC capable of doing so....which definetely does suck. No but seriously how is it faster? I don't know the technicalities.

Whats so unusual about front-mounted USB ports? The guy on the floor below me at Uni has one (that doesn't work at the moment).

My mouse is lovely.. its a very cheap (£5) trust mouse with three buttons and two wheels.. fairly bog-standard looking, but whenever someone with a flashy optical or USB mouse uses my computer, they always comment on how smooth it is.. had it for years too.

Well there're good mice and shitty mice. Getting a Logitech it really doesn't matter how you connect it, but it's designed for USB, so USB it is. First time I got a USB mouse I tried playing one of my games without changing the settings... and it was so sensitive I was doing 1 frame spins like hell. I had to really lower that. =)

The point is, mouse sensitivity counts, especially at high resolutions. The best mice are namebrand, PS/2 or USB, and the PS/2 port draws it's power from the CPU so hey, there's got to be SOME benefit to using a USB pointer.

Oh and I'll have A LOT of shit in my room and I have a limited supply of power plugs... very limited. I'll do internal hubs a year before external.

Just get a mobo with lots of USB ports. My MSI board hat 4 USB 1.1 and 4 USB 2.0 ports (and RAID on-board :)

Yeah that's a pretty nice case, but if I was going for a pretty tower there are better ones on Colorcases.com.

In other news... I don't think I'm ever eating at Chili's again. Jesus.

In my one hour nap I had an entire movie of a dream.

I dreamt that it was the heart of a heavy winter and some people moved in next door. Well come to find out these fuckers are making a videogame. Somehow me and them get cool and I visit them all the time.

There's two nice lookin' white chicks, a supermodel white chick with no personality, a nice lookin' black chick and two incredibly dorkass white guys.

So yeah, I like hanging out there.

Anyway, they're making a gory survival horror game for PC/Mac and I end up being a consultant for gameplay since I love those types of games. I help them fix common mistakes and in return I get to play Hexen on a dual 3Ghz rig. I don't get it either, I was running the original exe. =/

Anyway, someone in the firestation across town is mauled to death. There's no paper in my town (it's that small) but the local area paper ran the story on the front page. No tracks were found and the guy was literally shredded and torn apart... so the story is pretty unnerving, considering the firehouse is like 3 minutes from my house.

Well they all run out and have a fancy dinner 'cuz the first compile of the game is playable. It's far from done but it's an achievement. So they give me a copy on DVDR and I give it a play. The game is pretty fun, faster paced than Resident Evil and the hook is you get to play as a werewolf... although there's no animations for it yet. Since the options menu has a button called 'turn', when you do your character goes invisible (no model) and you can pounce on things and tear them to pieces. Cute.

Well about this time I notice I'm cold and my woodburning stove in the living room is running short. I really don't have one. So I go out of a back door eerily similar to mine and while I'm gathering up wood I hear something. I turn around, the 'camera' pans and I see my own dumb face looking around in the lightly falling snow. I turn back around and grab another piece of wood and hear something else. I turn around and still see nothing... and I look down and just see a little white rabbit.

Cute.

So I kick a little snow on it and it scampers off. I go back inside and I don't get three steps past closing the back door and PMFOOF. That's a weird sound, and it was louder than fuck so I dropped all the wood and almost broke my foot. I walked to the back door and looked right out the window, in time to see part of the wall to my toolshed (I don't have one of those either) collapse. Something large and white shot out of it like a bullet so I locked my door and turned around.

I think I was going to be heading to my shotgun, to load it and keep it handy... there is a dangerous animal around and apparantly it was interested in my shed.

Well I didn't get off the enclosed back porch when a window shattered and a large white paw came at me... that I quickly kicked and I dropped all the wood but one piece. With it like a club I pulled back the shade with my free hand and a RABBIT'S HEAD TWICE THE SIZE OF A ROTTWEILER'S HEAD CAME AT ME, LARGE WHITE TEETH STRIPPED AND GLOWING RED EYES. IT GROWLED LIKE A FUCKING BEAR AND QUICKLY TRIED TO EAT MY FACE, TOWIT, I POUNDED IT ON IT'S LITLE BUTTON NOSE WITH THE PIECE OF WOOD AND RAN LIKE HELL.

I made it to my shotgun in my bedroom to hear something outside the window move, less than a second later my back door caved in. As it stood outside I heard some things walking on my house, over my head and by the front.

The seven foot tall monster rabbit walked in and started to run at me. I raised my shotgun.

Next thing I know I'm walking down the street with my game developer buddies, back to their house from way down the street. It's pitch black outside and we're right by the woods. They're laughing at my story but I'm telling them it's real.

One of them says I've been playing too much Bloody Roar. The other one says that maybe I should turn into a werewolf in order to kill all the werebunnies.

I didn't find it amusing, and I almost pissed my pants when something in the forest moved.

The next part is a big blur but I remember something going down in their computer room, dorky guy #1 got his head bitten off while another werebunny tried to get through us but got tangled in all the cords dangling around the room. When it did get to me I bounced a harddrive off of it's skull, kicked it in the dick with my steeltoes and ran like hell.

We played hide and seek in the house for a while. The jist of it is that the black chick got bit on the arm, one cool white chick got cut on the leg and the vain chick died.

It came down to me throwing a punch at the werebunny at one point. It punched back and shot my fatass across the room into a wall, splintering the plaster. It came after the other dorky guy and tried to bite him but I pulled a board out of the wall and pounded the white bastard in the neck with it. The nail tore open it's throat and it hit the floor, flailing and screaming.

I killed it with something, I can't remember what. It was either an iron or a microwave. This was a short dream, apparantly there wasn't a lot of time for clarity.

We get back outside to the Bronco and realize that the dorky guy who got his head eaten off had the fucking keys. Brilliant. So, deciding that if we split up we'd probably all die, we all grab something to use as a weapon real quick and run back inside. I chose a tire iron.

We walked in, found the guy's corpse, I got his keys, turned around, and the black chick had turned into a big brown werebunny and she fucking drop kicked me. Straight through the wall. Into a tree. I ricocheted off and landed on my head. I didn't black out this time.

The brown werebunny tried to eat one of the cool chicks when I grabbed her by her three foot long ears and snapped her neck. I realized something when I did it, my hands were covered in fur and as I looked at them I was looking down my long snout.

It was kinda like dogmode in ROTT, but taller than God mode and a hell of a lot more fun. I saw a werebunny through a window see me and try to run.

Payback's a bitch.

I jumped through the window and slammed the little fuck all over the yard, eventually breaking it's back.

The police showed up. Just in time to shoot me nine thousand times and call it a day.

Luckily none of them were silver bullets so I just played dead.

I'm never eating at Chili's again. Those bullets felt too real.

Woah. Heh, at least you had the chance to dream about a playable build of your game ;)

Happy easter deadnail... feel like joining my anti-rabbit club?

There are speed variances between USB and Serial with the most notable being that USB is somewhat faster. Although, the difference of speed is not noticeable nor is there any difference with the way the mouse moves. The only difference you can get is by switching to an optical mouse which does in turn make your mouse seem smoother.

Originally posted by fodders
If you use the usb mouse tho it means you cannot use ps2rate.exe and that prog is a great addition to Doomplay

That only samples up to 200mhz, right? IIRC USB is 300mhz (could be wrong but I know it's at least that), so it's better than using ps2rate.

Aren't we behind the times! :)
Heh, my Mother's PC, old by today's standard, has those as well (front USB ports).

USB mice's rate is 125/second (also refered to as 125 Hz). ps2rate can boost up your PS/2 mouse's sampling rate to 200 Hz (MHz would be reeeeeally smooth :) but it's not a constant rate at all from what I've heard. It may be better to have a constant 125 Hz rate than a jumping 100-200 Hz which can confuse your aim. Although, I ran a little test with my Logitech Dual optical in QW and even the USB mouserate isn't totally constant. Most of the time it stays at 124-125 Hz but occasionally it goes up to around 150.

reeeeeally smooth

It sure is. I've had that program for a long time (ever since I bought this Australia computer magazine which was a "Quake Bible") and never looked back.