Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
zinkai

WiP - Smelting Plant - 27/02/2013

here is my new map to continue my small wad, most probably be around 4 maps total here is some wip shots of my map so far, sorry if there are a little big.

any feed back good or bad is appreciated and encouraged.

UPDATE 03/02/13

here some new shots sorry if they are a little dark

[IMG]http://i1310.photobucket.com/albums/s651/Zinkai/btf04_zps3c1e955b.jpg[/IMG

Update 27/02/13

this map is becoming more of a mess than anything, cant seem to keep the flow any good, and i can only think about what people have said its a bunch of room connected with hallways, so with much dilliberation i am gonna scrap most of it and re-arrange to more flowing feel. here is a quick mapshot of what it looks like atm

I don't know if it's just me, but I find it to be quite dark. With the overall low ambient light levels and the dark texture set used.

Otherwise, nice shots.

Judging by the editor shot, map02 is very disjointed: just a bunch of separate rooms connected by doors. The texturing is interesting though.

Looks kinda nice, but the level layout leaves a lot to be desired. It's basically just a series of corridors and square flat rooms.

It's by way no means finished at all, it's about 40-50% done, it may look flat in the editor but it rather is not as for a bunch of corridors Slapped together it is ATM but I intend on doing a lot more work to make it non linner. Ill post some more shots in the next few days

Blue Shadow said:

I don't know if it's just me, but I find it to be quite dark. With the overall low ambient light levels and the dark texture set used.

I don't find it that dark. At least it's not Doom 3. :P

But screenshots look awesome. Rustic textures gives the look it is a smelter. Gonna keep eye on this...

What a coincidence! I'm working on a map using UACUltra's texture pack too :D

That looks awesome and it would be really fun to play it! Maps like these are really cool. This map also reminds me of Simon666's maps.

Yeah no tones to work with but they are just awesome textures. Thinking of looking for some other texture to complement them just not sure what ones to use. Man wish I could get on realm667

You can still enter Realm667, but you should, no, NEED to disable JavaScript to enter.
Or so folks say...

Update 27/02/13

this map is becoming more of a mess than anything, cant seem to keep the flow any good, and i can only think about what people have said its a bunch of room connected with hallways, so with much dilliberation i am gonna scrap most of it and re-arrange to more flowing feel. here is a quick mapshot of what it looks like atm

http://i1310.photobucket.com/albums/s651/Zinkai/btfmap01_zpsf531a7e0.jpg

The screenshots look really good. Layout looks complex but still good imo. Keep at it! :) Love those textures, they really UAC Ultra?

FWIW I don't think you actually need to scrap too much. From just seeing the overhead view I think you have lots of opportunities to interconnect these areas, which might help with map flow.

When I map, I try to think of a purpose for each room (i.e. removing an obstacle, giving a new weapon, etc.), and a way to make that room fold back on an earlier part of the level where you can take advantage of whatever the last room did. I'm having a hard time articulating this, so here's an example:

I don't find it to be much fun if I'm following along a path, find a red keycard, then find a red door. I'd rather see the red door earlier on, continue with the map, later stumble on the red key, then follow a new path to quickly get back to the red door. I'm not a big fan of backtracking.

YMMV of course, but hopefully this helps you.

I like the aesthetics, good job on that.

Yeah demiosoft that helps. Tbh not even really thought about key doors ATM. I suppose I should have them in mind. The giant hexagonal room has gone could not think of anything to use it for! Lol just had a brain fart could have been the end of the level with a small boss fight of sorts. Well ill have to keep at it, done a few changes ill post a few screenshots tomorrow, not at my computer ATM and yes only used uac ultra textures nothing else.

Thanks for the feedback