Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Gez

MancuNET is down again -- What now?

If it's WebSVN's fault again, maybe it's time to ditch it once and for all and go back to ViewCVS or SVNView or whatever else was used before. WebSVN might be pretty, but its reliability and performances seem awful. And apparently, its issue tracker was designed to prevent people from bothering the devs with bug reports and stuff, so that nobody would tell them that their software is a buggy piece of shit that nukes the servers it runs on constantly.

It wouldn't bother me too much if it wasn't down for so damn long each time.
I have 11 Doom wiki articles waiting, guess I may as well make any amendments to them now.

Technician said:

m-net is like a drunk on ice, more down than up.

How do you figure?  Until today, I hadn't seen any issues reported on #doomwiki for at least a month.

Xeriphas1994 said:

How do you figure?  Until today, I hadn't seen any issues reported on #doomwiki for at least a month.

Probably you're in wrong time zone and outages don't get fixed when Manc is asleep. If you're in the same zone, you probably won't notice.
Just a guess.

Doom Wiki is down again, so I assume the others are too. The message different this time however. Usually it complains it cannot connect.

Server error
The website encountered an error while retrieving http://doomwiki.org/wiki/Entryway#. It may be down for maintenance or configured 
incorrectly.

Argh! Down again. It was OK earlier when I checked but when I came to try and find out if ZDoom/GZDoom had been updated, it had gone again. :/

14:41 < manc> well I'm getting new hardware in february
14:41 < manc> so yey
14:41 < manc> until then it's going to be feisty
14:42 < manc> also has nothing to do with that (apache overload)
14:42 < manc> the primary drive is going into read-only mode
14:42 < manc> but before it was the secondary drive that had /home only on it that would fall to read-only
14:43 < manc> something was writing to a home directory in some way as to cause the thing to freak out and
remount the drive as readonly
14:43 < manc> well I thought the drive was going bad, so I decommissioned it
14:43 < manc> turns out it may not have been the drive itself
14:43 < manc> (though I guess it could still be)
14:44 < manc> it's happening more frequently now
14:44 < manc> like before it started out slow and got worse
14:44 < manc> at this point I think I'll have to bring back the other drive, so if this happens at least it
doesn't cripple the system
14:45 < manc> see if in fact it's something specific and not both drives just going bad

Ahhh, intermittent faults with no clear cause. Don't you just love 'em. Good luck in resolving the problem(s).

Good luck with figuring it out. I would not like to see people being reliant on such comercialized dictatorship that is wikia.com

So far so good, the issue hasn't cropped back up and /home is back to being separated. They cleaned up the second disk's errors and it appears to be working properly. Again, there's no telling if it will crop up again, but at least it shouldn't make the network unavailable.