Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DooM_RO

Doom 3: Phobos

Shaviro said:

On the public relation side of things, making a mod for Doom3 sucks. Id software ignoring Doom3 mods. Doom3world (when it was) being a completely useless base for a productive community. Gaming sites happily showing any crap as long as it has a Half-Life label on it. Moddb publicly denouncing the base of your mod. The list goes on. If anyone's interested in why and just how much it sucks I'll be happy to elaborate. Don't want to write a 3 pages long bitter post about it though. I can say though that at times it's frustrating to work on something "nobody" will play, but the further we've went into development, the less it bothers me. I'm having fun working on it and results are actually showing. What bothers me is more about the aforementioned lack of support simply because the base is Doom 3.

I wonder if much of this could be attributed to lack of automated and stable tools, making users work twice as slow.

Yes we are. We will let you guys know a few days in advance the next time. Yesterday was a spontaneous test.

Shaviro said:

Gaming sites happily showing any crap as long as it has a Half-Life label on it.

That's true and a real pity. Some time ago Steam featured "Half-Life: Before" on its front page. A free, fan-made mod. To this day my only review on Steam is of this "product" as I wanted people to avoid wasting time on this crap. Steam should be ashamed to have featured it on the front page when lots of gems remain hidden, never to be discovered. I'm not an id fanboy / Half-Life hater by the way. I REALLY like Half-Life, but the fact such a half-assed piece of shit gets released and promoted just because it's related to Half-Life makes me really pissed. Grammar mistakes, low performance (we're talking about the engine of the very first Half-Life), buggy maps where one can get stuck and has to reload a previous state.... and the boss fight... what were they thinking?!

We're working hard to bring you the big loads. Without giving too much away, I've been working on numerous new monster skins as well as maps recently. Might give you a peek or two soon.

I just made the count.
We recently (as in this year) exceded the combined total of brushes for Doom3 and Resurrection of Evil. They have 344480 brushes, we have 372164. That tells you little about the actual quality or playtime, but I can only reassure you of the former and the latter will probably clock in somewhere in between the two :)

A short answer long in the making: no.

We're actually not planning any kind of outlet of media anytime soon. I don't think we have released any media since June last year or so and I don't really see us doing that for quite some time. Maybe if there's an area or thing that people just *have* to see we will release that, but for the time being all that is on our schedule is work. Work. Work. It's not that we want to hide the good stuff, but the slow dripping of media hasn't really done us much good. There is a huge mountain of work ahead of us and at the moment we are just focusing on that and not much else. The work and cooperation between team members has never been better and everything is going smoothly, but doing some half-assed media would only distract us from this. We want to focus 100% on the actual work so that when the time comes for us to return with a bang, we can focus 100% on the media being released. There is no sense in showing how awesome the mod is with a video only to disappear for 1½ years.

We will continue to tweet and write small pieces on facebook and here. We will also answer any questions you may have here, but don't expect a whole lot of new stuff the next while :)

That level is such a bitch to work on in the editor.
It's practically white (from all the overlapping brush lines) there in the middle of the level. It's highly vertical and filled with interconnections. Very hard to navigate in the editor.

Other than that I love the map :P

We initially aimed for 6+ hours, but it will most likely be well above that.
The release date most likely won't be in 2015.

In my opinion, 6+ hours would be a conservative estimate at this point. The way things are shaping up, I think 6 hours would be a good estimate for one of the people who designed the mod and knows where everything is.

I can't even begin to imagine mapping Doom 3 levels, I've only gotten a hang of DoomBuilder 2. It must be real headache working on this project. But from the screenshots I can see real passion in this project and I look forward to the day that it is completed and ready to be experienced.

Shaviro said:

We initially aimed for 6+ hours, but it will most likely be well above that.

Sweet.

The release date most likely won't be in 2015.

A shame but at least there will be room for improvement.

#DOOM Only *one* area from this old teaser is still in the game.

If this is one of the areas you got rid of, someone's getting shanked:

What exactly was wrong with those areas? They look pretty great to me. I hope you didn't put grey everywhere like you did in the last preview...I really like the use of colors in a lot of your screenshots.

Marnetmar said:

If this is one of the areas you got rid of, someone's getting shanked:

Heh. Actually that's the area that we kept :)

DooM_RO

What exactly was wrong with those areas? They look pretty great to me. I hope you didn't put grey everywhere like you did in the last preview...I really like the use of colors in a lot of your screenshots.

Some areas were highly outdated, and were not functional to what we wanted to achieve when we got back to working with the maps for phase 2. So they got changed into something better, or removed from the map entirely. So some of the areas in the trailer might still be there, but in a totally different form. And don't worry, we're still working with colors ;)

DooM_RO said:

I hope you didn't put grey everywhere like you did in the last preview

??? What?
I think you're mistaking "removing ugly blue fill lights" with "put grey everywhere". We didn't put grey anywhere, but expanded upon the existing color schemes while making the areas richer and deeper. You know, following basic color theory.