Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DooM_RO

Doom 3: Phobos

What about reintroducing PDAs, but with automap/inventory/objectives instead of UAC email chatter? That feels like a much more fitting purpose for the PDA.

Doom 3 has almost always been about alien world colony techbases, so I agree with your decision. And it's called Doom 3 Phobos anyway, not Doom 3 Hell. There are some other mission packs themed around hell already.

You keep saying that it will be more action packed than Doom 3 and not "scary" in that sense, but remember that with good pacing it's possible to build up suspense even in vanilla Doom 1 maps (few succeed though, choosing instead to make routine combat maps), and with Doom 3 you have a head start.

@Doommarine_maxi

Why do you want to play it without the SDK? A lot of things won't work as intended if you do

@printz

You will be able to see your objectives as a minimum. I don't see automap happening, as we are not adding features at this point in development. We are in Phase 3 and crunch mode. It's not the time to pile up the devtime any further :)

Edited by geX

9 hours ago, Doommarine_maxi said:

The SDK (.dll) would be vital for play or the mod can be played without it?.

We've made a fuckton of changes to the SDK, so it's absolutely necessary :)

2 hours ago, printz said:

You keep saying that it will be more action packed than Doom 3 and not "scary" in that sense, but remember that with good pacing it's possible to build up suspense even in vanilla Doom 1 maps (few succeed though, choosing instead to make routine combat maps), and with Doom 3 you have a head start.

Sure, there'll be suspense and we're not ruling any "scary" moments out, but the game isn't based around it.

4 hours ago, geX said:

@Doommarine_maxi

Why do you want to play it without the SDK? A lot of things won't work as intended if you do

I asked because mods/maps who can be played without sdk can be ported to other mods or Source Ports.

In my case i wanted to know if it was possible to making the First episode compatible with OpenCoop & MCS

Well, the game would be completely unplayable without the SDK changes and as for content? Well, it's a pretty personal journey for the player character so a lot of things wouldn't exactly be suitable for COOP. That said, with a concentrated effort where you remove any prologue stuff, Phobos specific features and narrative it could be done. Don't know if it's worth it though. We really didn't build any of this with COOP in mind.

On 2/2/2018 at 10:51 AM, DooM_RO said:

So I assume you guys are going to make your own game after this?

We've been talking about it. It's something we want to do, and feel ready to do once Phobos has been fully released.

We are not sure what we want to make yet though. We have a few ideas and thoughts. Definitely something with a smaller scope and smaller devtime would be ideal heh.

5 hours ago, geX said:

We've been talking about it. It's something we want to do, and feel ready to do once Phobos has been fully released.

We are not sure what we want to make yet though. We have a few ideas and thoughts. Definitely something with a smaller scope and smaller devtime would be ideal heh.

Sweet! I am sure you guys a lot of ideas. 

Have you considered putting Phobos on Steam like how the Black Mesa devs did?

2 hours ago, DooM_RO said:

Have you considered putting Phobos on Steam like how the Black Mesa devs did?

Yeah, but then Steam changed their rules and removed Steam Greenlight. It's practically impossible to get your mod on Steam unless it's released officially through id software (or using the Source engine). Which I don't think will happen. They are hard to reach, and I think they've moved on from a 14 year old game. They already made their "HD" edition of it (BFG).

We would love to have all the benefits from being on the platform though.

Edited by geX

4 hours ago, DooM_RO said:

Sweet! I am sure you guys a lot of ideas. 

Ooh, I used to have lots of ideas :D

These days it's all going down into Phobos though and it's burning through all my creativity. Getting the last writing done and iterating the scenes with art and the voice actors is taking it out of me. It's so much fun though!

Finally found something worthwhile to use that Resurrection of Evil Portal Sky feature for. It's great XD

I always wanted to do that.

3 hours ago, Shaviro said:

Finally found something worthwhile to use that Resurrection of Evil Portal Sky feature for. It's great XD

I always wanted to do that.

Interesting, tell us!

But I wouldn't want to be restricted to using it on a particular platform anyway.

On 5/6/2018 at 3:59 AM, Avoozl said:

But I wouldn't want to be restricted to using it on a particular platform anyway.

If we were to get on Steam, we would still make it possible to download the mod elsewhere.

Just now, printz said:

I hope the new project is going to be a game like Doom 3...

I have a sneaking suspicion that they are done with games like this.

On 6/5/2018 at 2:53 AM, Arl said:

Interesting, tell us!

Well it's not like it's a groundbreaking discovery or anything and we use it for pretty much what it was intended ;)

The thing is if you use the portal as the entire skybox it's going to suck.

If you add foreground objects to the skybox it's going to suck.

If you add objects to the middle ground it's going to suck.

If you go somewhat "fullbright" it's going to suck.

But if you use it for background details in a dimly lit scene it's going to add SO much and looks very believable.

You can get away with like 5 brushes for a building and it will look good. We have some geometry that crosses from the foreground through the middle ground to the background with different LOD and it works very well. Syncs up nicely with a few tricks.

This technique is very similar to the use of miniatures in movies.

It's pretty interesting.

23 hours ago, printz said:

I hope the new project is going to be a game like Doom 3...

Never say never and all, but personally I think I'm done with anything resembling Doom 3 after all these years working "on" it. Also, the thing is that whatever is next is going to be able to be handled by a couple of guys over a couple of years. In the spare time most likely. Unless something crazy happens during or after Phobos this will still be our hobby. It's fine by me, but it also means that the level of ambition will have to reflect that. I'm not going to start up anything that's remotely on the scale of Phobos when we're done. Lesson learned.

As for what we'd make. No idea. It's really all about Phobos right now, but I'm pretty sure having enemies, weapons with all that it entails is just above what we're able to pull off with our skillset. I'm almost 100% that I'll continue after Phobos though. That's somewhat new.

This is the only doom 3 mod i know (mainly cuz team future made RTC and have rad looking avatars), so kewl. Looks interesting from the screenshots.

Wow!

That iron sight, that pain elemental, those new enviroments, those rain droplets on the window...  ...fantastic stuff!

Also, very interesting to see that we'll be re-visiting mars city but from another perspective.

"Episode 1 Coming 2018" YES!!!
Im hyped for this released! love the new shotgun design, the centered pistol and that small pain elemental tease, also those neon signs on the exterior zones give me some bioshock vibes

I've been waiting for this, for a long time i had a blue "Doom: Phobos" wallpaper on my computer, can't wait for the release