Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DooM_RO

Doom 3: Phobos

What Scuba said. It's a bit mannequin looking. But definitely a big upgrade from what was there before.

Hi, guys, I need some help here.
I have 1600x900 screen size and set aspect ratio to 16:9. Everything seems to be right, and the main menu is okay, but all in-game content (even cutscenes) is stretched painfully to the right side. 
I have no idea what to do.

lz8WrJE9HEo.jpg

On 1/31/2013 at 2:29 PM, DooM_RO said:

While its worst flaws were centered around bland gameplay, semi-linear level design and general repetitiveness,

Are we going to make modern game comparisons or a comparison between Doom games?

Because Classic Doom was really just Doom 3 on a 2-D platform with the same flaws. Only Doom 2 had small deviations here and there. 

The shotgun looks much better now!

I always liked the basic idea of the new shotgun design, but the execution was'nt that good, especially from the first-person view. Now much better.

I agree. We made that shotgun at the very beginning of development. And we were all pretty inexperienced at that time. Problem is that now it kinda looks too good. Compared to the original Doom3 assets which got a lot lower resolution textures.

I like the Phobos shotgun. Having a different model makes it clear to the player that it's different (in precision) from the base model.

I don't think people didn't not like it. But as someone who helped making the previous model and animations, this is a definitive quality upgrade from the old. 

53 minutes ago, kristus said:

I agree. We made that shotgun at the very beginning of development. And we were all pretty inexperienced at that time. Problem is that now it kinda looks too good. Compared to the original Doom3 assets which got a lot lower resolution textures.

Well it can always be visually downgraded if needed, to keep it more in line with the rest of the assets.

This new shotgun sure looks a lot like an improved alpha shotgun, which I appreciate since the leak model was vastly superior from my POV.

And Episode 2 is reportedly coming soon too, noice.

When I tried Phobos I liked what I saw so far but there seemed to be unusual graphics lag so I didn't play it any further. I'm not sure what the problem was but my PC is more than capable of playing base Doom 3 without issue.

Maps in Phobos is a lot more demanding than Doom3's are. You could simply have too little ram for the game to load it all comfortably. 

6 hours ago, Avoozl said:

When I tried Phobos I liked what I saw so far but there seemed to be unusual graphics lag so I didn't play it any further. I'm not sure what the problem was but my PC is more than capable of playing base Doom 3 without issue.

Question: Did you use VSync (aka had r_swapinterval set to 1)?

I think VSync does not play well in the slightest with modern graphics drivers in the vanilla executable/engine. I've noticed huge frame drops in some levels of Desolated - The Crying of Fate (another Doom 3 mod) with it ON, but if I turned it off the issues vanished.

Keeping the framerate cap instead works much better, at least for 60hz, for 144 and above... no idea what solutions are there (Phobos only runs on the vanilla engine so far, no fhDoom/dhewm3 support as of yet, which have superior VSync support), and going above 60fps in Doom 3 causes the game to speed up.

Is Ep1 getting an overhaul with the new assets included or are you planning a "complete" release after Ep3 which includes everything in one package?

5 hours ago, Scuba Steve said:

Is Ep1 getting an overhaul with the new assets included or are you planning a "complete" release after Ep3 which includes everything in one package?

All the improvements and the new features are also present in Ep1.

Let's say this release will also patch the previous one.

So it appears that there’s an update on Episode 2, namely that it’ll be released sooner than previously expected.

Plus, it seems like not a lot of people have been talking about it especially considering that it’s been in development as long as the original Doom 3 came out:

On 6/2/2020 at 6:02 AM, kristus said:

Maps in Phobos is a lot more demanding than Doom3's are. You could simply have too little ram for the game to load it all comfortably. 

Considering I have over 16gb of ram I have high doubts ram is the issue at hand here.

I wasn't at all knocking the mod and I am sure it's good, I'm just clueless as to what is causing it to lag on my system and can't understand why, even with the higher demand the mod has over the vanilla game I'm sure my system is more than good enough to run it.

I will have to try seed's suggestion. Sorry for the late reply but problems and life got in the way.

Edited by Avoozl