Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Reisal

"Video games more harmful than guns" some GOP pol says

I learned how to kill from playing DooM, just like I learned that you never have to reload unless you're using a double-barreled shotgun, and that you can run at top speed forever without tiring out. Also, they just leave spare weapons and ammo lying around, especially in
hard-to-find areas.

If there's ever a demon invasion, I am totally prepared!

And if you're hurt, just trample medical supplies, you'll feel better right away!

Gez said:

And if you're hurt, just trample medical supplies, you'll feel better right away!

That's so unrealistic. Just find cover until your health regenerates, caveman.

Technician said:

Just find cover until your health regenerates, caveman.

Always good to know that there's a Wolverine deep inside all of us. That really gives the confidence to keep up the fight, no matter what the odds!

None linked this yet, I suppose?
It's a meeting between White House and Game Industry.

myk said:

And easy to dismiss something that touches one's interests or habits.

And you came to this conclusion about my opinion of this whole thing?

There is no proper evidence that video games are linked to violence. Some say there are negative, some say none and some say there are positive effects on prosocial behavior.
Of course, when there are many conflicting reports about videogames and violence, politicians take the one which suits them.

Maybe if you guys got to working on a gun with a little LCD screen that played an emulation of the real world in Doom-o-vision, where the sights would normally be, then video games would get the protection of your GOP.

"It's every hunter's right to virtually visualize a wild buck as a pinky Demon!"

I grew up on 80s violent movies, pro wrestling on TV, playing Mortal Kombat, Doom and other violent video games. Yet I've never once fired a gun or a criminal charge. Yet I have friends that are gun nuts and friends with criminal pasts.

Its the person. Not the material.

Like how 1% of people that watch 'Gator Boys' enough that they think I can do that too... And 99% think no fuckers its an alligator, don't go near it.

Wow I never realized the connection between Video Games and violence before I am so glad someone could clear that up for me. Now I can stop seeing my shrink because. I know whats wrong with me. See I played GTA last night and I got this uncontrolable urge to go out and Steal a car. It felt like I was withdrawing off drugs or some shit. Soon as I put the controller down the game programmed my mind..I just had to go steal that car. I would love to know when all the Pay N Sprays closed down because the cop was right on my ass the whole time. Luckly I managed to "pull" up to my apartment (I use that term lightly because I hit 4 trees and a Fire Hydrant when I parked..Car still runs but it smokes constantly maybe I should "aquire" another one. But anyways now that I am back in my apartment I am off scott free. Could someone please txt me the all weapons cheat? I need a flamethrower...these weeds in my back yard have got on my last god damn nerve.

CorSair said:
There is no proper evidence that video games are linked to violence. Some say there are negative, some say none and some say there are positive effects on prosocial behavior.

There's evidence, but it has more links to social behavior than what you can pin to individual actions. And the same media can be cathartic (a sublimation or deviation from violence) or propaganda (tending to promote or naturalize violence) to different degrees and people in different situations, and you have the egg and chicken dilemma between media and other actions, as they provide feedback to each other.

This means judging the role of media is complicated or confusing, often lost in many factors, relations, and interpretation, but not that it isn't linked.

Censorship, while occasionally acceptable, tends to do more harm than good and the general way to work with this is by longer term cultural action (education, publication habits, consumer expectations, consciousness campaigns, public policy drives and so on), which has relative effects and is in constant debate.

geo said:
Its the person. Not the material.

It's social and particular within that, not just "the person", and "the material" is imbued with a heavy ideological charge which has human wills (people) behind it. Individuals have limited power over their environment, you can't stop judging them, but if you elude social responsibilities and pressures that condition and dominate them, the causes of most injustice and issues aren't addressed.