Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Orchid87

id has got Doom 3 characters all wrong

Idk about you guys but in my opinion id made Doom 3 characters wrong. Here's what they should have made instead:

First of all - Betruger. He is not convincing enough as a main villain. He looks like a grandma and his taunts are childlishly stupud "your soul will be mine blah blah you will never find blah blah blah". They should've made him look more mysterous and frightening and his speech more subtle at the same time. Kinda like G-man from you know what.

Next - Swann. I'm sorry but he is the single most unlikable character in the game. Fat, ugly, balding, wearing stupid shades. They should've made him hot librarian-type chick in her 30's - early 40's instead. Excellent idea for the laywer character.

Campbell. He does his bodyguard role well, but he is too underdeveloped. I just don't care about this mindless drone at all. He should have a bigger role, like save player from something to die later - that would make him a bit more likeable.

Sarge Kelly. Well, this is the only character done well. His transformation was predictable but I kinda liked the guy and was sorry for his fate.

Doomguy. Aside the game's very beginning, id should've made him wear the marine helmet like in the leaked alpha version. I mean this is like one of the most badass helmet designs I've ever seen, and my character doesn't wear it! Too bad.

Orchid87 said:

Betruger. He is not convincing enough as a main villain. He looks like a grandma and his taunts are childlishly stupud "your soul will be mine blah blah you will never find blah blah blah". They should've made him look more mysterous and frightening and his speech more subtle at the same time. Kinda like G-man from you know what.

You'd rather he'd had been one type of stereotypical evil bad guy, instead of another kind of stereotypical evil bad guy?

I quite liked Swann as a character. I initially pegged him as a lawyer bloke that only was there to cover for the company. But then got to understand that he was trying to do the right thing.

I wish Betruger didn't confirm to be the main villain. Until I really saw him taunting me and being obvious who he's siding with, I thought he was merely a crazy scientist who didn't care much that demons were amok, because he was too absorbed into his own projects. And that dudes like Elliot Swann were suspecting him of dealing with the demons.

Sergeant Kelly kinda looks like Bruce Willis and I like that. He doesn't have his voice though. Instead it's funny because he has the voice of that dimwitted (but determined) detective Kellaway from The Mask cartoon, heh.

Doomguy looks fine. I'm glad he's inexpressive. That makes more developed characters like Blazkowicz from Wolfenstein look better.

I agree that for a game so marketed for its storyline (despite being just a FPS) didn't really deliver much in the way of originality. Sure, the things you read later in logs and watch in videos may be interesting, but it's all ruined by very basic character roles.

I think there should have been some zombified women and non zombified women. Now there was like only one whose head got broken by some rocket propelled demon headburster.

Granted, D3 and RoE were sausage-fests, but the main characters served their purpose well IMO. Given that Swann is a UAC suit, he's kind of supposed to be unlikable. Besides, making that character a thirtysomething librarian/lawyer chick would have meant hanging Dr McNeill out to dry :P

That said, Bertruger was just goofy at times, swinging between Hannibal Lecter and Dr Evil.