Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
purist

Doombuilder on Windows 8

Any Windows 8 users been able to run Doombuilder or Doombuilder 2 properly? I got a new laptop with Windows 8 pre-installed. I downloaded both Doombuilders but it wouldn't install either.

I tried moving the already installed Doombuilders from my old laptop using a flash drive. Doombuilder 2 shows a message saying it has stopped working. I got Doombuilder 1 working after downloading a couple of .dll files but the 3D mode doesn't work, stating it needs the latest DirectX. I assumed that would already be on my laptop but have downloaded the latest DirectX End-User Runtimes anyway, however this has not progressed the problem.

Anyone know of a fix?

purist said:

(...) stating it needs the latest DirectX. I assumed that would already be on my laptop but have downloaded the latest DirectX End-User Runtimes anyway, however this has not progressed the problem.

Anyone know of a fix?

I don't own Windows 8, but I heard a lot about how the newest DirectX are absolutetly NOT backwards-compatibile with XP-Vista-7 era DirectX (especially DX9). I read about many issues that were resolved by manually installing DirectX 9.0c and many more issues that were not resolved at all.

I had the same problem myself wih my other half's laptop. Basically I got it working by clicking on the install file and at the top of the file browser window where file edit etc lives here should be manage an in that drop down there should be run compability for errors.

Hope this helps maybe it makes no sense, kinda hard to discribe if I am not on the laptop atm

I was still using my old laptop with XP installed so I have ignored this problem for a while but now it's driving me crazy. So I've revisited this thread to see if I can sort it out.

@zinkai: As explained in my first post I managed to circumnavigate the install problem, it's accessing the programme (DB2) and using 3D mode/building nodes (DB1) that is causing me trouble.

@printz: My version is Windows 8 Version 6.2 (Build 9200), which I guess is different to yours but I don't know if this is significant in solving my problem.

@sgt dopey: Unless they are pre-installed they are not on my laptop as I have not installed either of those files and I don't know anything about them, what they do or where to install them from and to. If the installation of these will help me run DB or DB2 I would appreciate it if you talked me through it.

If anyone can help any further I would appreciate it. I have done very little mapping since the new year because of this problem and I'm not very IT minded so I've exhausted by own ideas to fix it.

EDIT: I've downloaded both Microsoft .Net Framework 3.5 and SlimDX but I've no idea what I'm supposed to do with them. They are both in my download folder.

EDIT 2: I installed SlimDX, deleted DB2 then reinstalled it and this time it works.

!!HUZZAH!!