Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Sephiroth

zdoom?

there are so many zdoom features now i cant say them all. I use to see alot of people experimenting with features like turets, new level stuff like water. What ever happened to these great ideas i dont see to many new maps useing these anymore, i would like to see good use of 3d floors and slants

Because some people, like me, don't know jack, or very little about ACS scripting, which zdoom features such as ambient sound, slants, colored sectors, etc. requires lines after lines of ACS scripting to work. Besides, the scripting language is a pain to learn IMO, and people don't bother to use it anymore, unless if you're a very high-skilled map builder.

I think I'm a pretty decent mapmaker, but I'd never use that scripting stuff. I've basically gone the last 6 years without it and don't see a need for it all of a sudden. I'm mostly a purist when it comes to source ports, except for the ones that get rid of line limits, that was a stupid limit in the first place.

Those are tools mostly designed for full-fledged TCs and PCs. But no one stops you from learning ACS, though...

well then again zdoom is still in a beta stage right now when it comes to slants and stuff. While there are tours out there, there isn't an "offical" tour on the zdoom websight. As for acs its-self, i hated learning it but its pretty cool. I'm a big fan of hexen (just one of the amazing things to do with doom) so i wanted to try to do some of those tricks. Besids, after dooming for about 5 years of being restricted on what i can do, i now have the capibility to expand doom to a new level.

Until Zdoom hits a solid, stable RC, adding tbese kind of features may probe to be fatal.

Anyway, things would be SO different if there was a new DooM editor with full-fledged Zdoom capabilities.

I was introduced to the evil ACS scripts by a little game called hexen. I don't do anything more complicated with a source port than 3dfloors (EDGE). Even tho I would like to know how to make deep water correctly.

Until Zdoom hits a solid, stable RC, adding tbese kind of features may probe to be fatal.

Anyway, things would be SO different if there was a new DooM editor with full-fledged Zdoom capabilities.

The 1.23 beta 24 seems to be pretty solid.

Yeah, well the versions of ZDoom that I had (beta 20, beta 24) acted like ticking timebombs to this computer. At least I didn't have any problems with 24 when I was playing last week's speedmaps yesterday. I wonder why Doom Legacy doesn't screw up like ZDoom does...or did over here?