Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Fish Sandwich

Video games which emphasize internal stuggle

In almost all video games I can think of, they're about a character/group of characters struggling against another character/group of characters. Does anyone know of any games which emphasize internal struggle, i.e., a character struggling against themselves? The only ones that come to mind for me are The Sims series.

EDIT: I think I should clarify that I'm referring to games which use internal conflict as a gameplay element. Not just to build a story or themes.

kristus said:

Aren't some of the Silent Hill games about internal struggle?

All of them are. Or at least, all of the main entries in the series.

Depending on how you interpret the themes in the games, the environmental shift whenever the darkness takes over qualifies as a gameplay element. Because that's when the monsters appear and certain puzzles can be solved.

Not sure if that's what you're looking for but in Iji the protagonist wakes up in a base taken over by aliens, and even though they aim to kill her she is still unsure about fighting them. Depending on your choices you get different cutscenes, gameplay situations, etc. There is even pacifist mode.

Prey had a great example of internal character conflict, I think. Another that comes to mind particularily is Max Payne 3.

I believe The Suffering / The Suffering: Ties That Bind deals with internal conflict. Been a long time since I've played it.

Chu said:

Max Payne 3.

All the Max Payne games are really. I suppose you also could say Portal 2. Not so much in the case of the protagonist, but in the case of GladOS.

j4rio said:

planescape:torment

THIS ONE. I don't think there's anything that illustrates internal conflict more than explicitly being on a quest to find your own identity!

j4rio said:

planescape:torment, sanitarium

Both of them. Definitely.

In Witcher, player has to do decisions and live with the consequences of his actions.

Shaq-Fu

Only one enchanted adventure comes to memory and it's this one.. Shaq has to reach over 9000 with his Shaquido as he's hounded by killers, assasins, beautiful women and reebok pumps. Grape drank? or KFC.. RPG BRO.

Technically I suppose, Alice. Though the struggles appear to be between the main character and various others, they're supposedly all inventions or aspects of her shattered personality floating around in her head while she's catatonic in a mental institution.

Splinter Cell,

The story of a retired Cold War soldier brought back into the new age of technology and digital espionage.

New Vegas really made me question what I was doing, I felt a tad bit awful for killing caravan owners because I needed supplies but was low on caps.

EDIT: NOVA 3 really focused on the main character wanting to simply leave while being dragged deeper in a galactic battle involving mysterious beings.

Earthworm Jim 3D - you're battling it out in your own mind after losing your marbles (literally)! The game is just one big metaphor for a crazy person trying to piece together their shattered psyche.

Psychonaughts (maybe not your own internal struggles, but definitely about internal struggles, phobias, neuroses, etc.).

Megaman (because it will test your patience, reflexes, and determination).

In this, the struggle is SO internal that you fight INSIDE not only yourself, but inside your ENEMIES as well.