Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Catoptromancy

Release clean up

I am going to be making demos and testing all the maps in boom202 in all skills(2,3,4) for 0.8.0 release.

If you find a bug, fix it up and post map and state exactly what you fixed. Post up any info or thoughts on next release also.

Don't forget -skill 2 and 3! Most maps need these adjusted. Feel free to adjust those skills and post map. If you want to adjust -skill 4 please post here first with a reason why.

Check out the current repo for what has been added.
https://github.com/chungy/freedoom/commits/master

Hopefully next release is 0.8.1 and such. The beta1 and rc's do not make sense and minor version bumps are much cleaner looking as well as consistent. 0.8.2, 0.8.3, and so on.

I am starting my annual repair work on Map09 and Map13 (as previously mentioned).
Any other changes will get overwritten when I submit.
Please notify me with comments and requests.
I will be working on the entrance of Map09, as there has been a comment
upon that area.

Catoptromancy said:

I am going to be making demos and testing all the maps in boom202 in all skills(2,3,4) for 0.8.0 release.

This is a really good practice to be following. Do you do it for every release? If so, it would be good to keep a record of which ones you've played through, so that for the next release you can only play through the ones that have changed.

I always make demo packs for major releases mostly just to prove they are possible. I do not mind demoing unchanged maps again.

Since we bumpped 0.7.0 to 0.8.0 almost instantly for some reason, I want to get the skill levels much more sorted out. Making sure all maps were exit-able was a fundamental goal of 0.7. I think balanced skill levels should be the goal for next release(as well as whatever else someone submits). Major version bumps should indicate something major happened. We got lots of very cool new stuff, but no fundamental differences. Skill levels should be tested 100% and properly adjusted for this release.

fraggle said:

it would be good to keep a record of which ones you've played through, so that for the next release you can only play through the ones that have changed.

http://users.coffeenet.org/~cato/public_html/freedoom/demos/

Cire said:

Freedoom's Savannah project page lists the link I posted as Freedoom's Git Repo: http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/freedoom/

No idea what is going on. This is actually important as daily builds are automatically made from the repo. Not sure which repo either anymore.

Anyway MAP01, added a shotgun to -skill 2 by green armor since there were no shotgunners.
http://users.coffeenet.org/%7Ecato/public_html/freedoom/maps/0.8/map01_fix.wad

I vaguely remember reading on this Freedoom forum a while ago that it was decided to change the repo to Github for whatever reason, I don't remember the details. I would recommend trying to search the forum or PMing chungy, I have a feeling he knows more about it.

I our previous difficulty discussion, shotgunner does not appear until map02, chaingunner map03, etc.
There should not be a shotgunner in Map01.

wesleyjohnson said:

I our previous difficulty discussion, shotgunner does not appear until map02, chaingunner map03, etc.
There should not be a shotgunner in Map01.

I added just a shotgun only for -skill 2. Player in -skill 2 wont need to use pistol whole map.

Have extensive rework of Map09. Am not finished.

Map13 is looking pretty stable, but will probably get some touchup.

Have started work on Map19 too.

Have fixed the secret area doors from the previous discussion.
Will fix the secret doors leading to the river bank tower.

There are these floating covers over the teleporters that block
the sight lines over them to parts of the castle.
I could move the teleporters some, or move the river bank tower to avoid the sight line, but the easiest thing to do is just remove the teleporter floating covers.
This is likely what I will do unless someone complains loudly.
Anybody want to save the teleporter covers ????

Map09
I already have boom202 and prboom.
I usually test using prboom.
Any clue as to what I am looking for ?
Does it crash on load, or during play, or in some area of the map ?
Is it repeatable ?

prboom202, not the latest prboom or prboom-plus. Only prboom 2.02. It is a direct port of boom202 to windows, a very old binary.

Boom202 in dosbox is ideal, but prboom202 will work if you do not want to use dosbox.

I guess I could figure it out. EDIT> MFADEMAP not found.
Sounds like maybe a bad texture/patch was used.

Map09
Have not been able to get a crash using prboom (2.5 I think).
Did get a message about a bad texture name.
Sidedef 3270, Linedef 2189, lower texture is MFADEMAP.
Have to use "wadtls +v +vl -w freedoom.wad -m 09 -o map09.tls" to find it (I think it is wadtls but forgot to put it in my notes).
DoomLegacy, Yadex, and other tools only see MFADEMAP, but prboom is seeing MFADEMAPASHWALL2. The linedef is a FRICTION, and that texture is not even used, so I deleted the lower texture name.

If you want, delete the lower texture name in linedef 2189 and see if it stops your crashing.

I have made an updated Map09, which I think is almost done, but I am testing.
Will probably submit it within a week. It already has this fix and a large amount of rework in the entrance, exit, outdoor, and cave areas, plus two new vending machines.

Also, I run Linux. Windows binaries are of no use to me.

Updates to Levels Map09 and Map19. Please commit these to the Freedoom repository.

Have not started on Map13 yet.

Map09 Ver11

File on SendSpace: http://www.sendspace.com/file/16yzgn

CHANGES Rev11:
Created entrance area with connecting tunnels.
Converted odd rooms to electrical rooms near entrance and exit.
River gorge reworked, lengthened, with added dam.
Added posts near waste water pipe.
Missing bridge is now rubble in river.
Cave area reworked extensively. (fixed area where someone got stuck)
Some of cave area converted to former mining, now tailing dumping.
Added dirt pushing machine.
Clarified areas of ore rock, and waste rock, and bedrock.
Improved lifts and added tracks.
Fixed textures in mine chief office.
Moved blue weapons storage room.
Added toolbox, parts washer, machinery, in maintenance.
Added some trashbins.
Added a few more zombies in mine.
Added two vending machines in waterworks office.
Moved lair to conference room, converting former lair
to an electrical room.

Map19 Ver08

File on SendSpace: http://www.sendspace.com/file/29yc3v

CHANGES Rev8, by Wesley Johnson:
Fixed secret floor on lower level so trigger and floor move together.
Added switch behind secret floor to raise secret wall.
Added block behind secret wall to aid in escape, in case get in past wall without lowering floor.
Raised top level of middle tower, and added steps. Crenelated the
outer wall of this tower.
Resized secret door to riverside tower passage, and changed to
a paneled texture. Added a bookcase to match.
Removed floating covers over outdoor teleports because of the drawing errors when viewing taller towers over them.

Updates to Levels Map13. Please commit these to the Freedoom repository.

Map13 Ver 2.7

File on SendSpace: http://www.sendspace.com/file/n1xp2a

CHANGES Rev 2.7
Move controls for upper conveyor to upper platform.
Pit ramp removed, use raise pit control to escape.
Narrow covered ramp to warehouse, and randomize riser texture alignment.
Align textures in barred guard window.
Fix flat textures under doors.
Adjust light and sectors in lower lab.
Move treatment control panel to wall, and make higher so do not climb on it.
Added a desk and some boxes to back rooms.
Added a couple trashbins.
Moved a monster teleport point to put monster in player path.
Make some pillars visible in map.
Added few more zombies.

Map09, Map19, Map13, committed by RJY on Mar 15.

Had to fix some HOM on Map13, and then got to fixing some other things too.

Map13 Ver 2.8 (2013/4/13)

File on SendSpace: http://www.sendspace.com/file/xiycwj

CHANGES Rev 2.8
Fixed HOM on pit motor box.
Changed lift side textures from black to bronze textures.
Added another location for teleport monsters, so they don't get stuck.
Raised service door in back of secret lab. Smaller but easier to use.
Finished pipe connection in tunnels. Added pipe that crosses tunnel.
Added crate and boxes in second railroad dock.
Added cabinet in front entrance.
Enlarged restroom, and added cabinet.
Moved health from restroom serviceway to office. Narrowed serviceway.
Made desk and couch larger. Prevent monsters from climbing on them.
Added easy barrels in front dock.
Moved suits farther apart in tech. pillar room.
Fixed texture alignments in front porch, tunnels, and warehouse ramp.

Committed by Rjy on Apr 15.

How is the progress on the Release clean up.

I have submitted my fixes (actually two release bumps to MAP 13).
Don't let it sit too long. I am already wishing I had put some transparent textures on that furnace. I am resisting doing a third bump to Map13 so soon.

Is anyone else going to update their level map, or is this it ??

Is that floor with F_SKY1 in map1 ever going to get fixed ??
If I touch it I will probably get carried away
(like my fixes to Map19).

Which level map creators are formally releasing their control (or whatever word you want to use) to whoever cares to meddle with their level map ?? (that is NOT an invite to a deep discussion on what control they had in the first place)

All skills should be tested and most maps likely need some adjustment. Does not really matter, still rather nice to push on things that needed done a long time ago.

wesleyjohnson said:

Which level map creators are formally releasing their control (or whatever word you want to use) to whoever cares to meddle with their level map ?? (that is NOT an invite to a deep discussion on what control they had in the first place)

This is really an important question that needs to be clarified!

For example, I'd really like to implement some changes to Map05 which were discussed elsewhere in this forum and which would make the level IMHO much less frustrating, but hesitate do to so because I don't want to step on the original author's/maintainer's toes.

fabian said:

For example, I'd really like to implement some changes to Map05 which were discussed elsewhere in this forum and which would make the level IMHO much less frustrating, but hesitate do to so because I don't want to step on the original author's/maintainer's toes.

I think the best attitude is to be bold and just do it. If the original author cares then they'll speak up.

fraggle said:

I think the best attitude is to be bold and just do it. If the original author cares then they'll speak up.

I'd like to suggest some unintrusive changes to map05 which IMHO vastly improve the map. I still consider it hard (especially for the fifth slot) but perceive it far less frustrating. I have tested it on skill 3 and can now make through it without too much trouble - I have no idea how to survive in skill 4, though.

This is the changelog:
- in the opening area (Sector #6), replace armor (Thing #9) with radiation suit
- in the same sector, replace a clip (Thing #293) with a box of shells
- remove fake stone wall (Linedef #24) to the left of the "bridge"
- raise floor in Sector #43 to 80 so the fake red key (Thing #38) is better findable
- in the room next to the blue key (Sector #197), replace shells (Thing #278) with box of shells
- in the room with the yellow key (Sector #108), replace stuck demon (Thing #138) with shotun guy
- replace flickering lamp revealing RL secret (Things #83) with red torch
- replace barons (Things #103 and #104) with cacodemons as guards for the real red key

And this is the file:
http://greffrath.com/~fabian/map05.wad

fabian said:

I'd like to suggest some unintrusive changes to map05 which IMHO vastly improve the map.

This is alomst two weeks ago without a review or even comment. Is anyone even interested in my contribution at all?

I haven't had the time to try it, but from reading the changelog it sounds much improved indeed.

I think I downloaded it then got distracted. Too much other stuff in the summer months. I asked a question in the other forum and did not even get one answer.

Review of new Map05 changes.
1. The changes at the level start are OK. The suit is most helpful.

2. Changing the Barons to Caco did make it easier, better for a Map05 difficulty.

3. I fell in the pit trying to get the yellow key. This is a drastic penalty for a Map05. There should be one direction that is easier to come at it from and some way out of that pit.

4. The red torch is the wrong kind of torch, too much out of place.
Would be better to just make the back panel of the torch niche some kind of switch texture (like one with a red rectangular switch).
That would be better for a map05 difficulty level.
The door it opens is so far away that I think the player needs that kind of help.

5. The niche leading to the secret room.
I could only find it because I know where it is.
Recommend removing the torch at the secret leaving an empty niche.
That makes it similar to the other secret room with an entrance in a niche. If need a lamp for lighting, put in another lamp niche nearby.

6. This level feels inconsistent in its use of teleport, where some are pads and some are just touching a niche wall. The "touch the wall" teleport seems to be magic, and this should be a tech level.
There should at least be a visible switch that is being pushed.
The other secret room had a teleport pad.
Should make both teleports use teleport pads. How to find the pad can differ.
This one could require pushing a switch on a wall while you stand on the pad.

6b. Perhaps it could be a niche with a lift up to a busy secret room, with one prize. But in there a teleport pad with a teleport switch leads to the second secret room with most of the stuff.
Hide the teleport in among other stuff like electrical boxes and odd shaped tech sticking out of the walls.
This would make the big secret room a prize found by exploring instead of nose grinding the walls and niches.

7. There should be a loose box, or some other junk in the bottom of the big slime pool. Then the player could have something to stand upon to get out of the slime. I recommend a crate and a couple of boxes as flotsam. They would float over to where-ever the slime leaves the pool, so there could be a mess of four or five boxes there.

9. I was hoping that "Doom" on the floor of the secret room would be gone. It is so anti-immersion that it puts me off. Then that room could have some shape, like service corridors with tech textures, or a series of niches with stuff in them. The big room with stuff everywhere is too plain. Giving that room a better shape would be a good excuse for removing the "Doom".