Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
boris

Gamepad/Joystick in prboom-plus

Anybody got gamepad/joystick working in prboom-plus 2.5.1.3? I tried it with a XBox 360 gamepad on Windows 7 64bit, but looking at stdout.txt there's no mention of joysticks at all, even though I set use_joystick to 1 in prboom-plus.cfg. Any ideas?

boris said:

Anybody got gamepad/joystick working in prboom-plus 2.5.1.3? I tried it with a XBox 360 gamepad on Windows 7 64bit, but looking at stdout.txt there's no mention of joysticks at all, even though I set use_joystick to 1 in prboom-plus.cfg. Any ideas?

Xpadder?

I'm awaiting an answer too, I'm using xpadder atm but it's not an ideal solution.

If the XBox joystick can only be recognized as an XInput device, it's never going to work, as SDL is mired in the dark ages and only recognizes DirectInput devices.

On top of that prboom-plus is so rigidly compatible as to never have added any enhanced joystick control options that I'm aware of, so I wouldn't expect more than 4 buttons to work, and you can probably forget analog sticks altogether.

This test program works fine and for example Eternity does recognize the gamepad (no really usable, though, the player keeps turning in either direction, maybe there's no threshold for the analogue sticks?).

And yeah, looking at the prboom-plus source the joystick code is very rudimentary.

boris said:

This test program works fine and for example Eternity does recognize the gamepad (no really usable, though, the player keeps turning in either direction, maybe there's no threshold for the analogue sticks?).

And yeah, looking at the prboom-plus source the joystick code is very rudimentary.

Interesting; guess the API is not the problem then. And yes, EE doesn't really support analog yet itself. I would like to add it but I really need to get an analog device myself, so I can test it. My old gamepad is just a + :P

I could get the sticks to work in Xpadder.

Native controller support with modern controllers is the biggest reason I dont really use other engines than G/ZDoom.

Not sure if this would help you, but Odamex has XBox joypad support (there is an actual xbox build of Odamex available) and pretty ballin compatibility (though the features in this area are not nearly as robust as pr+)