Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Devalaous

GZDoom: "Integer Overflow"

I have a severe problem with GZDoom, on many levels the program will crash during a fight, with the error message "integer overflow". It happened almost non-stop on Master Levels' mephisto.wad during the Revenant fights (come to think of it, its usually happening when Revenants are there)

Does anyone know what this error is, and if theres a way around it?

I haven't managed to replicate that problem, are you auto-loading other wads/mods to playing mephisto?

Ragnor said:

I have a severe problem with GZDoom, .....
Does anyone know what this error is, and if theres a way around it?

Aside from GreyGhost's question, it would be helpful if you could be a bit more specific, eg: Which version of GZDoom are you using?

I usually have Doom Expanded loaded too, but it will crash the same regardless.

Seems to be any largescale fights with Revenants involved.

If it's crashing with no other mods loaded, I suppose the next questions are - what's the make and model of your video card/chip and is the driver up-to-date?

Its an interesting odd setup. A laptop with two(!) AMD graphics cards. No cheap Intel crap here, fortunately. Im no computer expert though, so I wouldnt be surprised if thier configured badly.

If you switch to software renderer and get to the exact same crash point in the battle (e.g. by loading a savegame), does it still crash?

There isnt a "crash point", its entirely random. Sometimes I'll save before a fight, have it crash, relaod, have it crash shortly, then after a third load, it'll go fine, usually till the next big fight.

Next time it happens I'll get the error code and so forth.

Can GZDoom still revert to proper non-Open GL software? I only use the brand new Software renderer mode in 1.7, if that helps (I prefer software mode but love the lighting systems of GZDoom)

Do you get a crash log?

'integer overflow' is kind of weird. This exception is normally disabled because it's not useful.

My guess is that some bad driver is mucking around with your system.

So best post your entire hardware specs, the GZDoom startup log and whatever else information you got.

Otherwise any advice you get is just poking around blindly in the dark.

How do I save the start-up log?

I saved the specs via Speccy, but its a COLLOSAL text file. How do I use that code feature on the forums to condense it?

Ragnor said:

How do I save the start-up log?

Start the game with 'gzdoom +logfile <filename>' Then all console output gets saved to the given file.

Here is the actual error message on the crash screen:

This happens 100% of the time in a TNT2 Devilution map, where in the start room a ridiculous amount of Revenants pops out of a blood pool. Within seconds, the game crashes. I updated all my drivers, updated to GZDoom 1.7.1 nearly nuking the damn computer in the process, and it STILL happens.

If you get that message, save the crash log and post it on the bugs forum. It contains valuable information about the crash location.

A note in the info for GCC 4.2 compiler has a switch to enable or disable optimization that considers signed integer overflow to be allowed or disallowed.

A statement such as if( i + 10 < i ) may be considered to be always false by the compiler and optimized out.

With previous compilers that could be a valid check for integer overflow. Now you have to decide if it is to be allowed.

I would not be surprised at the number of places in the old code that use integer overflow/wrapping.
If integer wrapping was made to trap, then such problems would follow ...
There probably are some CPU that can trap integer overflow.

Some obvious questions:
1. What CPU
2. What special execution settings, like compatibility settings.
3. Do you compile your own executable.
4. Have you modified any makefiles or compilation settings.