Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hellbent

Historic Blizzard unfolding now

weather.com

Snooowwwwwww!!

How will it stack up against the 1978 storm that crippled Boston?

Also, participate in the PING project (Precipitation Is Near the Ground) by reporting whether precip and what kind is actually falling or if it isn't falling during storm events. (like now!)

Post here with your location and what the storm is doing (whether you're getting much snow/wind or not). Thanks!

My loacation is Pilsen in Czech Republic

..and the storm does absolutly nothing here, cause it is on the other side of planet heh.
I am not a weather expert, but I find it very unlikely that the storm would move here.

You're right, it won't be affecting Eastern Europe or any part of Europe.

Location: Extreme southwestern Massachusetts, USA (also known as the Shire).

Very light snow was reported this morning at 7:30am. The snow only just became steady light snow at around noon. As of 12:45pm there is about 1/8" or less of snow on the ground with a moderate breeze kicking up.

2:15pm light snow. Total accumulation about or less than 1/4".

4:36pm light snow; about 1/2" now. stronger breeze (fresh breeze on the Beaufort scale).

8:30pm light snow, light breeze, 1.7" of snow now and light snow slightly steadier.

9:20pm moderate/heavy? snow, reduced visibility, light air, 3.1" (so that 1.4" in 50 minutes).

10:35pm similar to last report; fresh breeze, 3.3"

11:48pm snow noticeably heavier now. 5.0" of snow, moderate breeze.

Hellbent said:

Post here with your location and what the storm is doing (whether you're getting much snow/wind or not). Thanks!

I'm in Hobart, Tasmania. No snow here, gusts of strong to gale-force wind and plenty of smoke from a bushfire on the other side of the river.

Minnesota. All calm here, and it's warmed up nicely the last few days.

(Note: this image is continually updated, and the above comment won't necessarily remain true going forward.)

Look at that bomb of a blizzard in the upper right of that weather map!

No Northeasters out there to weigh in?

Philadelphia here. It started snowing some time after dinner. There's 2 inches on the ground so far and it's a slightly wet consistency.

Bucket said:

Philadelphia here. It started snowing some time after dinner. There's 2 inches on the ground so far and it's a slightly wet consistency.

The weather experts don't expect you to get more than 2-3 inches. It'll probably be hardened by the morning.

Edmonton, AB, Canada. Sunny and warm. Somehow ended up above freezing today. My response? Spend the whole day in front of computers! :D

Toronto got snowed in completely today. Colleges were closed. I had such a huge mountain of snow on my front porch that I could barely enter the garage to grab a shovel. And once I got the shovel then my efforts seemed so fruitless cause the storm was just so ceaseless.

I'm in Franklin, MA. The worst part of the worst part to be in. Power's still on somehow, we usually lose power on any given extreme weather situation. My storm windows are completely caked over on the street side of the house where all the lights are, so I can't really gauge how bad it is. I peeked out the back door and it's looking pretty apocalyptic, but not yet near the blizzard of 05 as far as accumulation goes.

Quintessential British weather: grey, damp, cold-ish. No sign of anything more exciting or pretty.

printz said:

Lame. I thought it was about Blizzard Entertainment.

Sorry, this isn't about a software company's origami stunt: "Watch live: Historic Blizzard game software company unfolding now"

Thanks Ed and Aliotroph for the reports.

DoomUK said:

Quintessential British weather: grey, damp, cold-ish. No sign of anything more exciting or pretty.

The UK did have quite a lot of snow recently though.
Well, most of it.

Grazza said:

Minnesota. All calm here, and it's warmed up nicely the last few days.

Outside of the metro at least is supposed to get 12+ inches over sunday night into monday afternoon, so that should be fun.

Eris Falling said:

The UK did have quite a lot of snow recently though.

Relatively speaking, yeah.

The problem is that if the lightest veneer of snow cascades down from the metaphorical heavens, the whole country shuts down and becomes obsessed with it. What we consider "quite a lot" of snow isn't really all that much.

Southern Ontario (Canada - North of New York state) checking in: Pretty snowy; about 30cm; sick of shoveling. But I feel even sorrier for those poor bastards that got over a metre. Plus the sun is starting to come out, and the snowing has almost stopped. I'm thankful.

Snowploughs have been pretty good, though. Must've been at it all night, because as of 6:30am, the roads are pretty clear.

If it happens to NY its historic. Arkansas had a historic ice storm that destroyed everything and encased it in 12" of ice. Montanna has had 2 feet of snow dumped on it.

DoomUK said:

Relatively speaking, yeah.

The problem is that if the lightest veneer of snow cascades down from the metaphorical heavens, the whole country shuts down and becomes obsessed with it. What we consider "quite a lot" of snow isn't really all that much.

Indeed. The fact that we usually measure snowfall in millimetres and other places are using feet seems to attest to that. Having spent a few years living in Canada, I always cringe a bit when Brits talk about "heavy" snow. Well... perhaps the Scots can get away with it, but not here in the South-East, heh.

It's over, the sun is out. We got around 30 inches over the course of the night, but we never lost power. I have a few packs of cigarettes and plenty of food, gonna spend the weekend playing SoTN and watching the snow melt.

Hellbent said:

Sorry, this isn't about a software company's origami stunt: "Watch live: Historic Blizzard game software company unfolding now"

I thought they would release source codes to some of their old games…

We got quite a bit of snow over here in Nova Scotia. I don't think I'll be going out anywhere in the next few days. I didn't lose my power, but not sure about the rest of the city.

I did some skiing and some shoveling. I guess we got about 10-12 inches of snow. Hard to tell since it was blown around a lot. The deeper places seem like 15" and the shallower only 4", say.

Since it's been cold and will be -5 tonight, tomorrow I am going to reprise the Bash Bish galavant I did a couple years ago. Going with a different friend this time. Should be a blast.

Well, overnight on Feb. 7'th, we got a pinch more than five inches, lower eastern Michigan (by day twa), LP. As you'd imagine I had no school (Junior), but shoveling aplenty. (luckily, I'm the working type.) Snow has been terminated.

My uncle about 120 miles north of me got hit pretty hard, as per usual.

On an unrelated note, I might be on the news today. Well, for my area.

Seems like it was similar to some of the blizzards we had two years ago in New England. Those were fun. Best thing to do in that situation is stock up on booze, get a friend or two together, and stay drunk for a couple days.

Finally I managed to finish shoveling the driveway in peace. As a result, the little pine trees growing on my front lawn became completely camouflaged inside the snow, so now nobody knows that they're even there.