Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mogul

Rage editor finally being released on Steam today.

It's still nice of them to abide to old Id traditions no matter how late. Since Doom 4 will be using the same engine, it would be a good idea if those who are interested in modding it started practicing now.

I don't know why, but I think I might try it out.
It'll be interesting to see how the current state of their tools is. It creates a window into the Development of the game. Doom3's editor certainly gave a glimpse of why Doom3 took so long to produce. I should know :P

The DLC was released a year after anyone cared. I think this is their attempt to get Doom 4 level designers. If someone just so happens to be good at using the editor... they'll get paid.

Yikes.... already sounds like a pain to make anything. I'm still not sure how mega textures are a good thing.

geo said:

Yikes.... already sounds like a pain to make anything. I'm still not sure how mega textures are a good thing.

No more ugly tiling ground textures for one thing. If used properly, they could make some really unique and atmospheric Doom maps.

35+ GB

Yeah, I'm curious how it works but I'm not going to waste time downloading such a colossal program which probably won't even run efficiently on my system, if at all.

DoomUK said:

probably won't even run efficiently on my system, if at all.

You mean you don't have a 300 core renderfarm at home?

Gez said:

Fuck it! I knew 256 cores wasn't enough in my renderfarm!

Gez said:

Damn, now games have become industrial :\

Is mod making such a profitable business at all?

DooM_RO said:

No more ugly tiling ground textures for one thing. If used properly, they could make some really unique and atmospheric Doom maps.

I believe Esselfortium already experimented with some huge stone textures for his Vaporware map. Not megatextures, but large enough to avoid the tiling effect of classic Doom.

printz said:

Damn, now games have become industrial :\

Is mod making such a profitable business at all?

You think it wouldn't become this way? I mean this is inevitable. Games are more like movies by the day.

printz said:

I believe Esselfortium already experimented with some huge stone textures for his Vaporware map. Not megatextures, but large enough to avoid the tiling effect of classic Doom.

I don't think tiling is as evident in low res textures.

Gez said:

What makes me worried the most is that the editing tools for Doom 3 will also require a killer machine to use.

Doom 3 actually has lots and lots of user maps, some of whom are very good. I myself released about 3 maps for Doom 3. I am really hoping that the same will go for Doom 4.

Now that said, I think I heard somewhere that Doom 4 would actually be very different from Rage, in that it will focus more on smaller areas rather then the large open world of Rage. So perhaps Doom 4 level designing will be more similar to that of Doom 3. Or at least I hope so.

DooM_RO said:

If used properly, they could make some really unique and atmospheric Doom maps.

Oh yeah, all those atmospheric compression artifacts and atmospheric flat textures (due to missing normal maps etc.).

kristus said:

I'm definitely gonna look into this thing.

For sure, I'm curious to see how much of the game can be edited. Going to have to download it over a couple of months, though (gawdang Australian internet caps).

hardcore_gamer said:

Now that said, I think I heard somewhere that Doom 4 would actually be very different from Rage, in that it will focus more on smaller areas rather then the large open world of Rage.

Source, please?

It's about time they got that thing on there. I'm sure a lot of people will get their mods on there. I'll have to check on there often so see whats on there.

Nomad said:

It's about time they got that thing on there. I'm sure a lot of people will get their mods on there. I'll have to check on there often so see whats on there.

I see what you did on there.

Gifty said:

I see what you did on there.

Good too see that you're switched on there. On topic: good too see this has been released but I never got around to playing RAGE. Hopefully, when I get my PC fixed I'll give it a spin and probably give a try at level editing for it.

One of my Steam friends that maps for TF2 / HL2 is determined to get noticed by iD so he told me that yesterday he went and bought some sort of super computer for $4,000 just for the sole purpose of mapping for Rage. He's downloading it right now. He said if it didn't work out he'd just take the computer back within 90 days.

geo said:

One of my Steam friends that maps for TF2 / HL2 is determined to get noticed by iD so he told me that yesterday he went and bought some sort of super computer for $4,000 just for the sole purpose of mapping for Rage. He's downloading it right now. He said if it didn't work out he'd just take the computer back within 90 days.

Me must be crazy talented making that kind of a risk, or else he is just mad.

Either that or he is just made out of money.

Can you show us his maps for TF2 or HL2?

geo said:

Ask him to post WIP Screens for feedback!

Well. after a few seconds in the editor. I can tell it certainly is based off of Radiant. Though quite different none the less.

EDIT: Trying to load the Wasteland1 map file into the editor. It's taking forever though.

EDIT2: Once everything is loaded it works pretty well though going to the megatexture painting editor seem to not be working initially as it only gives me a black window at that place. It seem to be working but as if it's missing something to display properly.