Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Baron-Of-Hell

Is There another Doom comming out on the...

I was just wondering if there was a new Doom game comming out on the Nintendo Game Cube... Seeing as Doom 64 came out on Nintendo 64 (obviously) and the original Doom came out on the Super Nintendo... Has anybody heard anything?

Originally posted by Crendowing
Who cares if it'll be on the SuXBox, Lamecube, or Gaystation 2? CONSOLES BLOW NUTS!!!!!

Crendowing
Biggest social outcast of all

You try owning PS1 for about 4 years and then discovering that PCs are upgradable and can blow consoles out of the water.

...Not to mention that the keyboard combined with the mouse beats console keypads anytime imho.
Actually, I think that even the keyboard alone is enough to show how pathetic console keypads are in comparison.

Uh, the GameCube should be perfectly able to run Doom 3... but it most likely won't, because Nintendo's target for the GC is the 5-15 age range IIRC.

The only reason to care about PC games also coming out on consoles is if it means that the engine for the game will have to be "dumbed" so that it will work on the consoles.

It's likely that, by the time Doom 3 comes out, the average PC will be better, speed and graphics wise, than the X-Box and the Gamecube. It will certainly be better than the PS2.

BTW, there's simply no reason to see consoles as "rivals" to the PC and therefore rip it out of them just for that reason. The two have rather different target audiences, and consequently, there's room for both.

the PS2 is horrible. its system specs where behind the dreamcast. the only thing it really had was the DVD player. but it does have a number of very good games. the game cube is ok, i guess. i am not a big fan of xbox. none of the consoles out now have really impressed me. sad that sega gave up, dream cast was fairly good. but the becuase PS2 is sony it got more hype, even if it sucked

I think the PS2 is great, not because of the hardware, but because

1) the DVD player (Gamecube suX0r3d that one)
2) the existing hardware is put to extremely good use

True, the PS2 may not be any better at gaming than my computer, but the fact that it has some great games (FFX, GTA3, THPS3, etc) makes it more than worth it, in my eyes. Nintendo, as PA said, is making it very hard to be a Nintendo fan right now.

DC

Originally posted by dsm
...Not to mention that the keyboard combined with the mouse beats console keypads anytime imho.

Pfft...mice....fah....

Yes, I saw the second part of it too.

Pfft...mice....fah....

Yes, I saw the second part of it too.

Hehe, I KNEW that someone would bash the mouse - that's why I posted the second part.

Fair enough, I didn't always like the mouse (I hated every game where you used the mouse as primary control, that is, until I tried Command & Conquer - my first RTS), but after Quake 2 came out, I've got quite used to combining mouse and keyboard in every newer FPS - the results are far better than anything I could perform with only the keyboard - I even play ZDoom better when combining mouse with keyboard.

But that's just my opinon...

I don't use a mouse even in newer FPSs. I'm a keyboard GOD!

GAHAGAGAahAHAHAHHAHAha

Please. I was a keyboard-only player once upon a time. I ruled in Ziggurat Vertigo, meaning that I knew how to aim with Look Up/Look Down, but it's just not worth it. Clunky and non-intuitive.

Originally posted by Zaldron
Please. I was a keyboard-only player once upon a time. I ruled in Ziggurat Vertigo, meaning that I knew how to aim with Look Up/Look Down, but it's just not worth it. Clunky and non-intuitive.

Well, doesn't sound like you have the gift that I have.

Originally posted by Fusion
Sounds like more of a curse than a gift...
but meh

Eh? I don't see how anyone has the dexterity or reflexes to even use a mouse in games.

Most of us call it coordination. We got it from playing video games at an early age, along with walking upright. Basically, it all boils down to whether or not you can associate a position on a screen with the position of your hand. Do you use Windows with just your keyboard? I know you can, but I wouldn't wish it on my penultimate enemy (I'd reserve that fate for the most angering of my archnemeses). If you can use a mouse to get around in an operating system environment, you most likely have the dexterity to use a mouse in a game, unless you're Stephen Hawking or something.

DC

the only reason why the dreamcast died was because the cdrom was too slow. i remember playing record of lodoss war with about 100 monsters on the screen with the framerate at about 20. but other than that, it had a shitload of good games. too bad too bad. which reminds me, i need to check out dcemulation sometimes, they hack the dreamcast and code for that shit. even got linux and net bsd, a divx movie playe ( divx codec i mean )

Originally posted by Zaldron
Clunky and non-intuitive.

You mean consistent and controlled.

Ok, here's a good question for all you keyboarding freaks:

How long does it take for you to turn 180 degrees? About a second? With the mouse it's practically instantaneous. In deathmatch you often need to turn backwards, and then forward again - all while continually running - and if it takes you two seconds to do that, well, you're dead.

Back to the Console versus PC thing. I like them both for different reasons. If I'm in for a simple fun to play game, I go for consoles because I'm not thinking, I'm just hitting buttons. For more complicated stuff, like MechWarrior or something (great game, IMO) I like the computer because it's got the keyboard for a million buttons, and just a more technical feel to it. Also, online is good. However, my PS2 can handle more than my computer can because I'm not made of money, and can't upgrade every time a new fucking game comes out. PS2 has a million games and a lot of them are great, and XBox's Halo is the best game I've ever played. Consoles suck? I think not.

Originally posted by Doom-Child
I think the PS2 is great, not because of the hardware, but because

1) the DVD player (Gamecube suX0r3d that one)
2) the existing hardware is put to extremely good use

True, the PS2 may not be any better at gaming than my computer, but the fact that it has some great games (FFX, GTA3, THPS3, etc) makes it more than worth it, in my eyes. Nintendo, as PA said, is making it very hard to be a Nintendo fan right now.

DC

W0rd.

Games make consoles, not the other way round. What the fuck is the having an awesome machine if there's no fucking decent titles for it? I shall keep my PS1 thanks.

Originally posted by Doom-Child
Most of us call it coordination. We got it from playing video games at an early age, along with walking upright

Hmmmmm, let's see, I've been playing my regular Nintendo since I was 5...does that count?

Besides, I take it you didn't read my post in one of the other threads that I've now figured out the keyboard/mouse combo. I'm a changed person.

Originally posted by Lament
Ok, here's a good question for all you keyboarding freaks:

How long does it take for you to turn 180 degrees? About a second? With the mouse it's practically instantaneous. In deathmatch you often need to turn backwards, and then forward again - all while continually running - and if it takes you two seconds to do that, well, you're dead.

How the heck can you justify ragging on someone because they're good at doing something harder than what you're doing? Guess what. I play ZDaemon with a 300 ping and I usually rank in the top 20% in frags. Are you going to read me all the disadvantages of having a high ping?

Why do you care how other people play a single-player game privately in the comfort of their own home? If someone is good at playing a newer FPS without using a mouse then they have the right to brag.

Originally posted by AndrewB

How the heck can you justify ragging on someone because they're good at doing something harder than what you're doing? Guess what. I play ZDaemon with a 300 ping and I usually rank in the top 20% in frags. Are you going to read me all the disadvantages of having a high ping?

Why do you care how other people play a single-player game privately in the comfort of their own home? If someone is good at playing a newer FPS without using a mouse then they have the right to brag.

I'm only pointing out that with a keyboard, it's impossible to turn instantaneously. It doesn't matter how good you are - you just can't do it. Sure, you can learn to deal with it and work around it, but it's an obvious disadvantage.

High ping is something you can't really do anything about. Or are you telling me that you wouldn't go with a lower ping if you had the opportunity?

Hmmmmm, let's see, I've been playing my regular Nintendo since I was 5...does that count?

Well not really, there's no cursor in a console. It's just like a keyboard.

Originally posted by Lüt
You mean consistent and controlled.

You mean jagged and spasmodic.

I have to admit that I still play Quake1 with keyboard only - I can just never get used to having to press a mouselook key, before being able to look up and down.