Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

Aliens: Colonial Marines is out.....and it sucks.

Sight.

This makes me very depressed. I was actually looking a lot towards this game, since there haven't been many good games set in the aliens universe.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/aliens-colonial-marines/critic-reviews

Yes I know that judging a game soley on metacritic scores is stupid, but there are barely any reviews so far that have said the game is anything but either bad or mediocre.

Thoughts?

No surprises here. Everything about AvP 2010 expect its visuals was awful, and I didn't expect Gearbox to learn from any of their mistakes. It seems like a game that took way too long for anyone to decide what they wanted to do with it, and was rushed at the last moment to make money.

Honestly, the last respectable Aliens-related game was AvP 2. And there's not a lot of competition.

EDIT: If Gamespot say something is bad, it's really bad.

I had high hopes for this game. Oh well, let's hope Crysis 3 is good. Good PC games are few and far between.

Only really played the Original AVP which was a great game. Had high hopes for Colonial Marines. But .. yeah.

kristus said:

Only really played the Original AVP which was a great game.

You mean Jaguar AvP, or the 1999 PC game?

Jag AvP was a pretty sub-standard "Doom clone", but I have a lot of nostalgic love for it all the same.

I am surprised it's being reviewed this poorly. I was excited because I thought if anybody will do a good job on something as cool as Aliens, it's got to be Gearbox. Or was this a salvage job from some other studio, like when Gearbox took over DNF for the last few months?

Mogul said:

I am surprised it's being reviewed this poorly. I was excited because I thought if anybody will do a good job on something as cool as Aliens, it's got to be Gearbox. Or was this a salvage job from some other studio, like when Gearbox took over DNF for the last few months?

Now that I think about it, I actually think it was.

Wasn't this game originally suppose to be on the PS2 but then got thrown into development hell?

Let me google a bit...

Yup: http://vgboxart.com/view/3417/aliens-colonial-marines-cover/

i just read a horrible, horrible thing. Does fucking Hicks turn up later on in the game?

My absolute favorite part of the game was the moment they brought a character back from the film, and another marine pointed out the giant plot hole this created. “That’s a long story,” the returning character said, and I’m pretty sure he waved his hand as he said it. He didn’t have time to explain the impossible situation. When you have to write in a character literally hand-waving away something that made no sense, your story is a mess.

kristus said:

Ah, forgot about that one. Nah, I meant the PC game by the same name from the late 90-ies.

I liked that one too. Had great aspects to all three character classes.

I always figure with Aliens games I'll wait til they're $5.

AvP 2K10 I liked enough to finish and I always have an itch to go back and play. .. but I also bought that game for $2 at a Steam sale.

GearBox dusts off another dead game (Duke) and slaps on a $60 tag and people wonder why they spent their money.

If graphics look like they're from 2006 they are. I remember when Sega I think it was shelved the project. There was also supposed to be some Aliens MMO FPS.

If Hicks had to return for the game, he can can return in hologram form or at least audio logs.

I don't think Hicks is the only one. I think Bishop too, but if he is 1 of many robots he can. In fact they can call him Rook.

I think I may have been slightly excited about this some years ago, but after playing the newest AVP game, I lost my interest in these games. AVP2 is still the best, even if it had a bit crappy/laggy unbalanced net game that eventually got balanced with some server mods that disabled half of the weapons.

I haven't played it yet, but I think the reviewers are harsh because they have put a lot of expectations on this game, and the final game ended up as an average game, and in their delusion, they are just trashing the hell out of the game. At least the game looked fun on the gameplay trailers.

I have a feeling their would be a lot of complaints if there were deaths via friendly fire and your squad stole your kills and if a single alien could kill an entire squad of people. Oh and if every alien hid like a jack in the box and popped out of monster closets where you really needed your motion tracker to find them. Plus if an alien is asleep until he hears you step underneath of it and then drops down between your squad where you crossfire it to death and splash damages the entire party and acid just doesn't stop... there would need to be some sort of solvent (anti-acid) to keep you from burning to death. Fire extinguishers to put out your allies when someone friendly pyros your team.

might not be, but michael bien is defo in some cut scenes...

the only way that a survivor from the original platoon should turn up is if that survivor is Wierzbowski, the most mysterious and ninja-like of all marines.

darknation said:

the only way that a survivor from the original platoon should turn up is if that survivor is Wierzbowski, the most mysterious and ninja-like of all marines.

If by some miracle he didn't get cocooned or eaten, he probably died in the explosion, or froze to death in the wastelands of LV-426. But who knows what this stupid game is going to fuck up, eh?

What was always more puzzling to me was the fact that they almost left poor Bishop behind when they're about to evacuate. I get that Ripley wouldn't have cared at that point in the story, but you'd expect one of the marines to merely mention him. I suppose androids in the Alien universe are expendable.

So if Aliens have a chest burster come out of an Android does that mean the xenomorph will be cybernetic? I would have explored this and other issues. Hopefully they explain did the marines go on a rescue mission to find out what happened to the others or were they sent by the company? Is there someone that wants to bring back the aliens if they're using the marines as unknowing pawns?

Were the mercenaries sent by the Company? Are they androids like in AvP?

Do the aliens want to get off the planet? They're designed to breed. Go elsewhere and colonize.

And also the older an alien gets the darker it is. Their life cycle is very short which is why they need to procreate so quick. Perhaps a den where they store the dead would be good.

Hope there's something that pushes things along like there's gonna be an explosion we need to get off this rock. Oh wait.... didn't they blow up the colony? Isn't this a sequel?

So many questions about the mythos and not does the game suck :-)

Right, have any of you bitching in this thread actually played the game and formed an opinion yourselves?

I'll hop on my friend's Steam account and play it then get back to you :-) ... uggg nevermind it'll be a while with the download :-) Chances are I'll like it just as I liked AvP 2K10 enough to play through it.

Phobus said:

Right, have any of you bitching in this thread actually played the game and formed an opinion yourselves?

I would like to try it. I think I might enjoy it to some degree. It's hard for me to imagine a game being so bad that it gets a 4/10 or whatever. However, by all indications, it's not worth spending $50 on. There's no way I'm going to throw away that money on a gamble where the odds are stacked against me, with the potential benefit being, hey, it's not so bad, it's like a 7!

Phobus said:

?, are you reading the same thread as I am?

geo said:

And also the older an alien gets the darker it is. Their life cycle is very short which is why they need to procreate so quick. Perhaps a den where they store the dead would be good.

Well, aside from the chestbursters and facehuggers. Aliens are always (except in some cases of games like Aliens Trilogy and other offshoot media like some of the aliens in AVP) portraited as (mostly almost) black. I don't really see where you make this connotation that their color is somehow indicative of their age. Also where did you get this factoid about them having a short lifespan? Granted I don't see it as unlikely considering their rapid growth from egg to grown alien. Though the gestation period for the eggs has proven to be dynamic, based on if there is a nearby victim for the facehugger to attack. In Alien you could see evidence of that the eggs had been waiting for a very long time to hatch. It's not unthinkable that the grown aliens would share the same ability. Though I recall reading some musings about lone worker/warrior aliens being able to grow into a Queen. To be able to nest and lay the eggs and by those means keep their breed from dying out.

kristus said:

Yes. Uninformed opinion based off of what reviewers say. That's why I used the word "bitching". Actually playing the game and then deciding it sucks would be a thread worth reading, this is just pointless negativity.

Phobus said:

Right, have any of you birching in this thread actually played the game and formed an opinion yourselves?

Maybe it's a little better than what I expect, maybe it's a little worse. But like opening a can of baked beans from a brand I'm not familiar with, I have a rough idea what to expect before I've put them in my mouth.

Gearbox don't have a good track record when it comes to Aliens games. And I did play AvP 2010 to draw that conclusion. Considering it's also another attempt of theirs to finish off a game that another developer started, my hopes just aren't high.

Phobus said:

Yes. Uninformed opinion based off of what reviewers say. That's why I used the word "bitching". Actually playing the game and then deciding it sucks would be a thread worth reading, this is just pointless negativity.

Adjusting ones expectations based on reviews aren't unreasonable. Discussing the information that has been shared is not bitching. The only one who's really bitching is you who are bitching about our supposed bitching.

Phobus said:

wait, are you trying to whiteknight the game, or just curbstomp discussion?

kristus said:

Well, aside from the chestbursters and facehuggers. Aliens are always (except in some cases of games like Aliens Trilogy and other offshoot media like some of the aliens in AVP) portraited as (mostly almost) black. I don't really see where you make this connotation that their color is somehow indicative of their age. Also where did you get this factoid about them having a short lifespan? Granted I don't see it as unlikely considering their rapid growth from egg to grown alien. Though the gestation period for the eggs has proven to be dynamic, based on if there is a nearby victim for the facehugger to attack. In Alien you could see evidence of that the eggs had been waiting for a very long time to hatch. It's not unthinkable that the grown aliens would share the same ability. Though I recall reading some musings about lone worker/warrior aliens being able to grow into a Queen. To be able to nest and lay the eggs and by those means keep their breed from dying out.

Just in the DVD commentaries that color = age. Eggs might not rapidly age. Face huggers might rapidly age once out of their egg. They were meaning xenomorphs. And clownfish have been known to have females turn into males if there are no males around.

As I wait for the game to download.... time to play AvP 2K10 :-) I think the music made that game.

And maybe the guy isn't trying to white knight the game but prevent people from jumping on the bandwagon by saying think for yourselves you sheep :-)

Phobus said:

I guess nobody is willing to blindly throw 50 bucks at a game most people are claiming to be bad.