Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

Aliens: Colonial Marines is out.....and it sucks.

I think that now I understand Colonial Marines is for people that don't play video games and they just want to see the movie. You can plod through it with no problem.

Kaiser said:

I have nothing to say only that I did my job and did what I was told to do. Nothing more.

Just blame it on TimeGate then defend them saying you told them what to do.

DooM_RO said:

Are you happy with how the game came out? What was your job while working on the game? What would you have done differently?

I could write pages on this, but I'll spare you all :-)

darknation said:

yup hicks turns up later on in the game. outrage. can't wait for the new terminator game, where it turns out kyle reese was just holding his breath for the entire last act so he didn't have to bang linda hamilton ever again.

Should also make new game out of The Rock, where Commander Anderson is still alive too, and a Planet Terror game where the Sheriff comes back to kill more zombies.

Might as well bring back every dead Biehn into one game and call it the 'Michael Biehn Project'.

I haven't played since my face punch of a review. I did get hints of Hicks return and I can imagine how Hicks can return. If you have a marine and need intel on hostiles you wake him the fuck up. However... I'm on the planet right now and Hicks has to make it back up to space and into his escape pod to tie into Alien 3.

In fact the Soloco crashes and would burn up in atmosphere (I'm still totally not sure if there are 2 ships one for the Aliens movie and one for the game). By logic the cryo tubes would eject so they'd need to catch up to the cryo tubes and put him back in.

Why do the Colonial Marines have to fight xenomorphs? They could have had Hicks as a rookie in the marines and have him in bug hunts on other planets in some sort of prequel. But if you have the Aliens franchise you want to use it... you just shouldn't use Hicks... unless its in hologram form :-)

Been playing it for thirty minutes and here's my initial thoughts:-

• The voice actors sound like they didn't really want to be in the recording studio. The dialogue is noticeably bad. Even Michael Biehn and Lance Henriksen sound like they're phoning it in.

• Shooting xenomorphs is boring. I never thought I'd say "This isn't as fun as AvP 2010", but it isn't. After you've dispensed of them they don't even melt as nicely as they did in AvP 2010.

• It's nice being able to explore more of the Sulaco than what we saw in Aliens, but... those locked doors. Why are there so many mysteriously locked doors? It's not like you don't have the equipment to break through them, either.

• I really hate the way the motion tracker goes off when it's not even in use. It makes sense from a realism and practicality standpoint, but it completely destroys what little tension there is in the game to begin with.

DoomUK said:

After you've dispensed of them they don't even melt as nicely as they did in Gearbox's previous game.

Aliens Infestation? :s http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GtOOIs6unw

DoomUK said:

It's nice being able to explore more of the Sulaco than what we saw in Aliens, but... those locked doors. Why are there so many mysteriously locked doors? It's not like you don't have the equipment to break through them, either.

In the movie they would weld doors shut so they could hold off the aliens. It stands to reason that they did the same on the Sulaco.

1. Alien 3 was such a turd that I'm not bothered by Hicks still being alive.

2. Xenomorphs are boring as shit in this game. There is absolutely no tension at all when they arrive, just hold down the fire button. The new aliens are stupid as hell and don't add anything new.

3. Canon gets assfucked bad. Forget about Hicks, lets talk about how Hadley's Hope is still in one piece, or how the Pulse Rifle only holds 40 rounds. This isn't helped by the game forcing in moments from Aliens (Bishop's torso, the medical labs) that scream "HEY GUYS, REMEMBER THIS?!?!?!"

4. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3z2qVebxlUo basically sums up everything else

Fuck Gearbox.

kristus said:

No, I meant AvP 2010.

EDIT: It's just struck me that Gearbox had nothing to do with AvP 2010. Now I feel like an idiot.

kristus said:

In the movie they would weld doors shut so they could hold off the aliens. It stands to reason that they did the same on the Sulaco.

Right. That's no excuse for lazy level design, though.

DooM_RO said:

Are you happy with how the game came out?

Can't really speak for the rest of the game but I was happy with my contributions and being able to work with Gearbox on a day-to-day basis was a blast.

DooM_RO said:

What was your job while working on the game?

Level designer for the 2nd mission.

DoomUK said:

Right. That's no excuse for lazy level design, though.

If only you knew about the technical constraints. The PS3 made everyone it's bitch.

How was the PS3 constrained? Everything else manages to work on it. Other companies have manged to divert resources to the graphics.

Alien 3 for Super Nintendo was good even if people hated it.

Hmm, so Kaiser made the second level. To those who have played the game, what did you think of it, did you spot any of his mapping characteristics? Was it better than others?

Mission 2 started at a high point and fell off the cliff.... but in terms of map design. The details are good, there was a great vista of the firefight in space. It looks good and there is a variety of atmospheres from bright to dark, narrow to open, white and sterile to dark and unused. You could shoot through different rooms via the windows with broken glass. Its just really the AI and the length.

I just played it a second time and ran through with no hesitation. I must admit that it was more fun the second time.

And this was the mission I felt my interest fall off a cliff. Just due to the length and monotony. My mentality was run in like Rambo and kill everything quick. My mentality playing it the first time was strafe and flank everyone. Now I know that I don't need to do that. I can just use wild tactics.

Yes, it fails miserably as a horror game.
Yes, it is a festival of bugs and Sega and Gearbox QA Teams should not just be fired, but also executed.
Yes, it has too much ammo, you never need to use your pistol, and you always feel too powerful to fell any fear.
Yes, the gibs and amputations are very poor and this is the less gory Aliens game since that platform shooter on Sega Genesis.
Yes, it is a rail shooter. Enemies always come in front of you, I am on the 5th level and I still didn't needed to use motion tracker one single time.

No, it's not a bad game. It has some good points. Some battles are very fun, the scenario is very varied and beautiful, set dressers did a very good job, it has some very good battles on wide open areas, invisible walls are rare, I personally liked the gunplay, I haven't seen an Aliens game with this huge enemy flow since Aliens Trilogy, the ability to customize the weapon in-game is cool, Oh, and the Soundtrack is fucking amazing.
Oh, you need to play this on Hardened difficulty, where a single warrior can easily kill you even if you have a full health bar, and bullets from Weyland Yutani Mercenaries are very fatal, a small burst on the face can kill you. Playing on a lower difficulty allows you to Rambo and it will destroy any tension that the game could have.
Oh, and it's so good to play a modern game that has armor and health bars and the health regeneration is very minimum.

Not finished the game yet, but 6/10 so far. Not as good as we expected, but not nearly as bad as how the critics are saying. At least it's much better than the latest popular games such as Medal of Honor, Warfighter, Modern Warfare 3 or Black Ops 2.

Now, let's just hope they release a patch to fix all the bugs.

Sent mine back, did not even open the box. As I had ordered the 'Special' edition that comes with a model and other things I did not want the goodies to tempt me to keep it.

I shall pick this game up from steam in the future when its like £3.20 or something. I am curious, but the reviews are so BAD!

I know I should not listen to them all, bur even friends and people here say how bad it is....or at least not very good.

So going to go with my gut that it is indeed going to be disappointing!

Last time I ever pre-order! Not because of this one, but because of loads of games that have ended up ...meh!!

They just try to get you to pre-order for free DLC and goodies that you can 'only' get with pre-orders......it guess it works I have been drawn into it. Silly really as most of it is free skins for multiplayer or something and I never any multiplayer anyway lol

Moan over!....I think?

Kaiser said:If only you knew about the technical constraints. The PS3 made everyone it's bitch. [/B]

Certainly sounds like gearbox screwed the pooch!

kristus said:

Carmack pointed to the PS3 being a major bottle neck for them in making Rage as well.

Rumor has it Doom 4 will only come on the new generation consoles (besides PC of course). I find this very comforting as a PC gamer.

Kaiser said:

Well, I could be wrong, but consoles have always been a bottleneck regardless.

Ever since PC developers started prioritising consoles, at least. In Ye Olde Times, a game was scaled back for console releases if there was less computing horsepower available, meaning console gamers could still play a given game, but those with (much more expensive) PCs could play the definitive version of it.

I miss those days.

DoomUK said:

Ever since PC developers started prioritising consoles, at least. In Ye Olde Times, a game was scaled back for console releases if there was less computing horsepower available, meaning console gamers could still play a given game, but those with (much more expensive) PCs could play the definitive version of it.

I miss those days.

Me too, sadly, games are getting more and more expensive to make and that is not going to change. Id said in a recent article that they would love to make only PC games http://www.gamespot.com/news/id-software-would-go-pc-only-if-it-could-6390743 but they can't. I believe them. Doom 1 cost what, 500000 to make and a bunch of semi professionals (I am of course talking about back then except for Carmack who was always a god) and Doom 4 will likely cost millions of dollars to make. I think this is also the reason why Id sought a publisher. Whether this was a good idea or not THANK GOD they didn't partner with EA, they almost did. If I were Id though, I'd rather have joined forces with Valve, they are on great terms despite being direct competitors.

P.S the the lighting in the demo version of that clip is how it should have been in Doom 3.

EDIT: Holy SHIT, how could they do such a thing?!Oh well, at least we get delicious internet drama.

DooM_RO said:

P.S the the lighting in the demo version of that clip is how it should have been in Doom 3.

HM? What are you on about now?

BlackFish said:

VIDEO

Interesting watch.

Well, that certainly raises some questions. :/

Well, I finished the campaign... and I am shocked...
The final battle is worse than I ever could imagine. Who the hell thought that something like that would make a fun battle?

kristus said:

HM? What are you on about now?

Look at 1:15, it's dark and atmospheric but doesn't hurt the gameplay. Id Software recently said that the overused darkness was there because of the technical limitations (can't find the article)