Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
40oz

Properties of an uncrushable thing

I'm working on a dehacked patch that makes crushed corpses make a SPLAT noise when flattened by a crusher or a door -- successfully I might add.

I made it so that the pool of blood and bones thing immediately changes state to another pool of blood thing, with the XScream codepointer so that it plays the DSSLOP sound. The tricky part is that apparently the other pools of blood can be crushed as well if they aren't static objects placed by the mapper. So when the door comes closing, the blood makes a repeating ooshy gooshy sound (the sound of the pool of blood quickly flipping back and forth between the original crushed corpse and the state it changes into) when it comes in contact with the door until the door comes to a stop when reaching the floor, and the blood starts making noise every time the door is operated.

It's kinda cool but it's not ideal. What properties can I add or remove from the pool of blood to make it unable to be crushed by a door? I tried changing it's height to 0 but I don't think it did anything (but I could double check to see if I even saved the dehacked patch after I did that.)

I'm not on my computer so I can't test this, but maybe you could make it NoClipping? It might be worth testing what decorations in Vanilla Doom are crushable as well.

I just tried that. It still squishes, but it only plays the sound once when the door closes on it, and again when the door opens, but not repeatedly as the door is opening/closing like it was earlier. Close enough, I guess. Thanks :)

40oz said:

I just tried that. It still squishes, but it only plays the sound once when the door closes on it, and again when the door opens, but not repeatedly as the door is opening/closing like it was earlier. Close enough, I guess. Thanks :)

Welcome. =D

According to what I've read in this and this article, the pool of gore needs to be nonsolid and with zero height and zero width. That's all I can tell you, because I can't use any DEHACKED.

40oz said:

I made it so that the pool of blood and bones thing immediately changes state to another pool of blood thing, with the XScream codepointer so that it plays the DSSLOP sound. The tricky part is that apparently the other pools of blood can be crushed as well if they aren't static objects placed by the mapper. So when the door comes closing, the blood makes a repeating ooshy gooshy sound (the sound of the pool of blood quickly flipping back and forth between the original crushed corpse and the state it changes into) when it comes in contact with the door until the door comes to a stop when reaching the floor, and the blood starts making noise every time the door is operated.

I could tell you to make the resulting pool of blood (after crushing) spawn another thing with the same look that won't be crushed (because of not being a real corpse), while itself disappearing. But it will crash the game if the player gets crushed.

If you're mapping for Eternity you can use counters to limit the number of times it slops.